18X Pipeline Q & A

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the same boat. Besides popcorn operation is there anything to help prep for RIQ? hahaha (They exempted me from IFS, so RIQ is my first training experience)

I didn't do IFS either. Biggest struggle I had was stand ups and learning the differences in regs (military vs FAA). For standups, just make sure you're getting a good tabletop EP every single brief or debrief. All standups are based on the exact same EPs (naturally). As for regs, it really wasn't too bad given a little study time.

Overall the experience wasn't very difficult. A little more stress than civilian, but that's to be expected.

Oh yeah, it's all sim as I'm sure u know. Getting a good feel for how touchy the sims are quickly will help immensely.

• 3 months later...

I didn't do IFS either. Biggest struggle I had was stand ups and learning the differences in regs (military vs FAA). For standups, just make sure you're getting a good tabletop EP every single brief or debrief. All standups are based on the exact same EPs (naturally). As for regs, it really wasn't too bad given a little study time.

Overall the experience wasn't very difficult. A little more stress than civilian, but that's to be expected.

Oh yeah, it's all sim as I'm sure u know. Getting a good feel for how touchy the sims are quickly will help immensely.

I agree with this assessment... just finished RIQ... phew... Had a baby right at the end of contact phase. So I can't say the same about the difficulty...Man was it rough hehe

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with this assessment... just finished RIQ... phew... Had a baby right at the end of contact phase. So I can't say the same about the difficulty...Man was it rough hehe

Haha yeah, a baby would certainly elevate the stress

If u goin to Holloman, check out Las Ventanas apartments. Great place to stay imo. Half hour from cloudcroft and about 45m from ruidoso, 2 nice little towns to visit. And only 20m from base

Edited by Rivanthe5th

• 2 years later...
What are the chances of getting Syracuse during the pipeline?

0. It's not an Active Duty location. If you want to go there then you'll have to get hired by their Guard unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually the pipeline is so backed up now that ad students are being sent to Syracuse for iqt. I'm not sure how long that will continue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

My mistake. I thought he meant as a permanent duty station.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:51 PM, Bobert said:

What are the chances of getting Syracuse during the pipeline?

AFSOC guys were getting a choice of Nashville, Cuse, March, or Holloman a few months back, or so I heard. I've been TDY for all but 3 weeks so far this year so I don't know how true that still is or was. 

I am currently a 13M (Airfield Operations dude) with 3 years experience.  I am stationed at Ellsworth and am seriously interested in becoming a RPA.  I have never been in a cockpit so I don't think I would be missing anything being in GCS.  If anything, it would be more hands-on than what I am doing now.  I have a few questions for you guys:

-Do I apply to UPT or is there a separate board for RPAs?

-I know there is IFS, RIQ, and then some other schools.  Where does UPT fit into this?

-I have relatively low AFOQT scores.  How competitive is it for RPA selection?  Should I retake the AFOQT?

-I have no flight hours.  I know anything helps but is it necessary to be competitive?

- I have led a 120+ personnel flight during my time on AD and one the OG Flight CC of the year.  Does this matter at all in the selection process?

Thanks for all the help guys!

20 hours ago, Toxic said:

-I know there is IFS, RIQ, and then some other schools.  Where does UPT fit into this?

-I have relatively low AFOQT scores.  How competitive is it for RPA selection?  Should I retake the AFOQT?

-I have no flight hours.  I know anything helps but is it necessary to be competitive?

You will not attend UPT.  Instead, you go through URT which consists of:

RFT (RPA Flight Training) which is flown in the DA-20 at Pueblo.  Relatively low threat, though there are some washouts/DOR.

RIQ (RPA Instrument Qualification) is taught in a T-6 simulator and emphasizes instrument flying skills, culminating with an instrument check.  Even lower threat, but make sure to take the academics seriously since there have been a handful of academic washouts.  To my knowledge there has only been one washout for flying aptitude.

RFC (RPA Fundamentals Course) is taught on a desktop trainer and is intended to provide mission familiarization for MQ-1/9 operations.  Effectively zero threat.

Following RFC, you graduate Undergraduate RPA Training and get your wings.  Then on to FTU for the MQ-9 or RQ-4.  There have been a few FTU washouts/Flying Evaluation Boards, but these are rare.

For your question on AFOQT, from what I have seen it is not that competitive, but retaking it probably wouldn't hurt you chances.  Previous flight hours are not necessary, and may help, but may not.  Of interest, the one flying-washout from RIQ was an Embry Riddle grad with an instrument rating and 200+ hours.  Additionally, another Embry Riddle grad with the same quals/experience was FEB'd from Holloman. 

AFSOC guys were getting a choice of Nashville, Cuse, March, or Holloman a few months back, or so I heard. I've been TDY for all but 3 weeks so far this year so I don't know how true that still is or was. 

BNA is not an IQT option for anyone and never has been. But it is an MQT option.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Thanks for the info Bobert.  What is the application process?  Do I apply to the same boards as other rated career fields?  If I just put RPA on my list, is there a chance I will get something else?  When does the next package role around?

The application is the same for all related AFSCs. You won't get selected for a container you don't check. I have heard of them offering the option to accept another rated field if they didn't have enough applicants check that container but with no obligation to accept. 

If you're at Ellsworth go make a friend at the MQ-9 squadron. Someone should be willing to talk to you or show you around. PM me if you need a contact. 

Edited by Chaff

The application is the same for all related AFSCs. You won't get selected for a container you don't check. I have heard of them offering the option to accept another rated field if they didn't have enough applicants check that container but with no obligation to accept. 
If you're at Ellsworth go make a friend at the MQ-9 squadron. Someone should be willing to talk to you or show you around. PM me if you need a contact. 

Last I heard, with the exception of USAFA cadets, requesting a rated career field (pilot, nav, RPA, or ABM), meant you were at the needs of the Air Force for any of them. You could no
longer join with the guarantee of going 11X (except for in the ARC). If you request 18X, I would doubt you would get non-vol'd to 11, 12, or 13, however.

Last I heard, with the exception of USAFA cadets, requesting a rated career field (pilot, nav, RPA, or ABM), meant you were at the needs of the Air Force for any of them. You could no
longer join with the guarantee of going 11X (except for in the ARC). If you request 18X, I would doubt you would get non-vol'd to 11, 12, or 13, however.

The AD boards are as described by Chaff.

16 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

There has been a lot of rumors around the squadron of how bad the manned side is getting. We already lost a lot of our 11s, the handful of us UPT directs from 2015 were just notified to expect PCSs back to manned for all of us in 2018, and AFPC has started asking the 18x guys for volunteers for UPT. My how quickly the tides turn. But I wouldn't be surprised if you see someone not get a RPA slot and picked up for UPT. That's weird to say.........

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone have any updated information on how long each phase of the pipeline lasts?  How long can students expect to spend at IFS in Colorado, at Randolph, and at Holloman?  Also, the names of the courses, except, IFS, seem to keep changing.  Anyone have updates to what the course are called now?

• 2 years later...

Reviving an old thread here, New user.

I am leaving for Randolph in a couple weeks, still havent got my orders from ROTC to AD but I am wondering what the housing situation will be like when I first arrive? I am aware you generally sit in a hotel for a bit but is there Dorms for casual status Lt's? Or should I be looking for off base housing which I would prefer as I have some personal firearms. Im the first RPA select from my detachment in a long time so I have no one to ask.