Current Pilot with Pilonidal Cyst

RaptorDriver

I just recently discovered via research on Google that I have a Pilonidal cyst. I'm a current/qualified AF pilot and was wondering if anyone here has had or known of someone who successfully dealt with this issue and returned to fly? It looks like it's a pretty simple procedure. I just don't want to talk to a flight doc before I can get some feedback.Anyone?

Here's what I found in AFI 48-123 regarding the issue.

6.44.20.9. Pilonidal cyst, if there is a history of inflammation or discharging sinus in the 2 years preceding examination. Surgery for pilonidal cyst or sinus is disqualifying until the wound is healed, there are no referable symptoms, and no further treatment or medication is required.

Diceman

Surgery is extremely minor. You should be back 100% in a month or less. Might want to take a week or so of leave afterwards cause sitting down will be a challenge (if they don't put you on quarters). Oh and two words of wisdom for immediately following your surgery... Wipe down.

Surgery is extremely minor. You should be back 100% in a month or less. Might want to take a week or so of leave afterwards cause sitting down will be a challenge (if they don't put you on quarters). Oh and two words of wisdom for immediately following your surgery... Wipe down.

(I'm a general surgeon & i do this surgery) - what WKings06j said. At the end of the day you'll be fine. If it's acutely infected at the time of surgery it might have to be left open to heal up with dressing changes - might extend healing time to 8 weeks or so. If it's relatively clean at time of surgery they'll be able to sew it up and you'll heal faster (3 - 4 weeks) either way when it's over you'll heal up just fine,

re; Wipe Down...best advice ever.

:vomit:

TO ALL:

Don't look this up on wikipedia. Some things once seen, can NEVER be unseen.

Sorry for your problem. Go talk to the flight doc and get it taken care of, then get back to work.