New AFROTC Scholarships for CSO and ABM

aeeeerrrrooooo

Today, we were briefed on new scholarships the Air Force is offering: if you're interested, qualified and are selected, you will agree to becoming a CSO or ABM and will therefore go on scholarship and have priority for field training selection (like some of the tech majors). The other side of that is you're locked in to one of those two AFSCs; you don't have the option of applying for other rated or non-rated career fields after field training.

Has anyone else heard of this? What do you all think? Worth shooting for?

I think you better REALLY want to be a nav (no idea why) or already 0% qualified to be a pilot before you'd want that option. This is like getting married to your homely, first girlfriend because you are afraid you might never meet anyone else. Again, if you are dying to do those two things (again, no idea why) then do it.

And yet, no bonuses for 12B. I guess it's easier to get new ones than to keep the experienced instructors.

The bonus is a law where this scholarship is a policy. I'm a F-15E WSO seriously considering punching. Had the WSO bonus applied to me, I would be a lock for staying in. The AF has given me a pretty good masters degree, a door into a second career, and no further incentive to stay in...they'd be silly to think I'm not shopping around at this point.

Just looking at manning numbers, I think it would make sense to create a bonus for some of the CSO careers while dropping some of the 11M payouts. Of course, that'd go over like a fart in church.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...