Jalapeno Popcorn

jazzdude

I've been cooking corn with coconut oil lately. Amazing. It fries the jalapenos perfectly, much more forgiving than canola or peanut oil. It also makes the corn light and very fluffy. Current recipe is two heaping tablespoons of the coconut oil, 1/4 cup of jalapenos - fry 'til the noise quiets down, 1 solo cup of corn. Liberal sprinkling of kosher salt after it's popped.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite part is of course the J's themselves, so FWIW I've found that when making it at home for an evening snack, it's best to drain a whole jar of mild (or "tamed") J's into a strainer, heat up some oil in a sauce pan to med-high and fry the J's on their own, then make some popcorn in a popper separately and mix in the J's right at the end while their still hot and oily. The simultaneous technique works well with a popcorn machine at work but it's a bitch to make it just right with a manual popper at home. Besides, you get a lot more of the nice crispy J's with this technique. Certainly not practical for snacko work though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My students have started adding bacon...

Your students rock! Just make sure they get the timing right so you get crunchy bacon and jalapenos. If you follow Motown's direction on infidel corn, you can't go wrong. Also - I've never had a problem with the bacon grease. We clean the utensils after each batch, but only clean the entire machine every couple months. Be careful on cleaning the heating element, though. You'll short it out if you don't let the element dry out completely after cleaning.

Your students rock! Just make sure they get the timing right so you get crunchy bacon and jalapenos. If you follow Motown's direction on infidel corn, you can't go wrong. Also - I've never had a problem with the bacon grease. We clean the utensils after each batch, but only clean the entire machine every couple months. Be careful on cleaning the heating element, though. You'll short it out if you don't let the element dry out completely after cleaning.

Motown is good people

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/10/2017 at 5:24 AM, afthunderchief16 said:

It's a sad day in our sq as the time has come to procure a replacement to our trusty popcorn machine. Anyone have a good recommendation for a machine that has been able to earn its keep over a few years? 

Paragon machines seem to last the longest with heavy use.

On 2/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, HU&W said:

Paragon machines seem to last the longest with heavy use.

Yup.  Ours is a Paragon Theater Pop 16oz.  http://www.paragonpop.com/paragon-theater-pop.html  Pricey ($1400), but I can attest that it gets used and abused, all day, 5 days a week minimum, and has held up like a champ.  Another bonus is that you can get replacement parts from them if you need them, and repairs are pretty straightforward (they're simple machines.)  Go with one of these if you can swing it.

• 3 years later...

ACT II oil seems to be discontinued? or I can't find it anywhere... I don't think I want to go to vegetable or canol oil, and coconut seems overboard? but I could be convinced otherwise... what brands are the best? where to buy bulk?

I found ACT II Kernels at one place, but almost $1/#

Coconut oil works great if you're not worried about being healthy.

I use the orville redenbacher popcorn oil for my machine at home. https://www.orville.com/kernel-popcorn-and-oil/popping-topping-oil

Gets the job done, and doesn't leave as much cooked on oil as using canola/vegetable oil (which I wouldn't recommend at all because of how hard it is to clean off)

• Upvote 2

I'm sure someone has tried it with avocado oil.  How did it turn out?

BTW, PilotCandidate, I appreciate your passion on that.  We will try that next.  

Edited by HuggyU2