Shooter and pilot

Guest Victory

Guest jvandam

I'm trying to find someone with experience as a shooter and rated aircrew. I am reaching a major crossroads and am looking for all the advice I can get. Here's what I'd like to know from anyone willing to offer: Whether you went from SOF to pilot/nav or vice versa (rare, I know), are you happy with the choice you made and would you make the same decision again? Also, from your experience would you recommend one more than the other? Thank you in advance for your responses.

So everyone has some idea who they're responding to...I'm 25 and grew up in a family of shooters (PJ, SEAL). I know, although only second-hand, the pluses and minuses of life in the SOF world. But my knowledge of life as an aviator is almost exclusively from message boards like this one and books. I have the opportunity to go either direction and am having a very difficult time with this decision (which I must make in the next month). I'm not looking for an answer, just for any advice or wisdom that anyone with experience would be willing to offer. Thanks again and I'm sorry the post turned a little longer than I wanted.

My OTS roomate was prior Army Special Forces and now a C-130 pilot. I still keep in touch with him and can give you his perspective. He doesn't like being a pilot and has talked to his commander about about cross commissioning to the Army and returning to SF. He feels that being a good LT pilot is requires a high technically proficiency in operating the aircraft. While he is, he doesn't find this as rewarding as his days in SF which combined technical proficiency as well as leading men in extraordinarily difficult situations. IMO, this guy is a born leader who would be a greater asset to this country leading men in combat than hauling shit in a C-130 (not that it's not important). Anyway, that's one man's opinion and I'm sure there are plenty out there that love the AF over SF.

My brother was a Force Recon Marine, and I was all set to do the same thing. My brother called me from the desert during the whole Mogadishu (sp?) thing and I told him I was going to join the Marines and be like him instead of going to college. My brother always wanted to be a pilot and due to a DUI was kicked out of ROTC and lost his guaranteed aviation slot, and had to do some enlisted time in the Marines as payback. Due to him attending some radio schools during his summers and a lack of radio operators in Force Recon he was in. Well there was more to it than that, but you get the point. Anyway, my brother told me he would kill me if I joined the Marines, literally. He has always regretted not being a pilot. I try to tell him it's still a pain in the ass, but there is no job I would rather do. He is getting his private pilot's license right now as a matter of fact. There are draw backs to both, but there is nothing like flying an airplane. Even my worst days are better than most other people's best days.

Best of luck on what ever you decide.

Two words: Incentive Ride

I'm no expert, but seeing as you've got immediate family in the military and you're questioning possibility of an aviation career, you could probably get an incentive ride from somebody.

I was lucky enough to get 2 rides: F-16 BFM, and MH-60 on NVGs. Those rides convinced me that while fighters are fun, I wanted to fly something low, slow, and dirty...and here I am. I never would have known that without those rides. I'm sure it would help you in you decision.

I'm sure some of the more experienced guys on the forum can advise you better on your chances and how to make it happen. Good luck!

Guest phrogpilot

Join the Marines, you can fly and be in Force or Force Recon. A close friend of mine was a pilot and then became a FAC for Force Recon (West Coast). It is alot of work, swimming miles in the Pacific Ocean is not for the faint at heart. You may also want think about ANGLICO, the forces that be have brought it back. Again another squadron mate served with 40/42 Commando (Royal Marines)mwhile serving with ANGLICO. He was inserted into a location in a Pave Low 53. All Marines are shooters and yes, even the pilots. You will get your fill, if you so desire.

You ever consider flying a Spec Ops aircraft...helos maybe. Seems like you could get the best of both worlds that way.

For what it's worth, I am a prior Army "gun". Not SOF, but still a gun. I don't regret any choice I made...being enlisted Army or an AF pilot. Both jobs are/were very rewarding!

Good luck

Guest Rainman A-10

You can be a fixed wing pilot AND a shooter AND hang out with SOF guys.

It is possible to be a pilot and actually see the people you are about to kill with your own eyes just before you squeeze the trigger...depending on the airplane you fly.

If you want to be a real man, fly helos. Helos rule.

A wise man once said, "You can do anything you want, but not everything you want." I know that is why you are on this forum. The point is both of the careers you are looking at have pros and cons. Either way you get the brotherhood and you get to serve the country. My advice would be to join the Guard or Reserves and fly airplanes. Then find a job as a police officer, federal agent or air marshall. There are reserve jobs at Herbie. You could fly Talons part-time.