108th Refueling Wing / Advice

Hello guys,

I'm a 21 year old freshmen, and interested in becoming a KC-10 pilot. I live in NJ, where the 108th refueling wing resides... My plan so far is to enlist as a boom operator. After technical training, I will utilize the gi benifits to attend Mercer county college which has an 'Aviation Flight Program'. Every certificate has its flight fees, something I'm assuming the gi bill may cover, but honestly not really sure... The total cost of there 2 year program is about 28-32 k according to there flight coordinator. Anyways, I will later transfer to Embry-Riddle worldwide, and then finally apply for a pilot position my junior/senior year. What do you guys think? any suggestions?

Edited by Boeing24

Suggestions:

1. Do some research. The 108th doesn't fly KC-10s.

2. Learn the difference between their and there.

3. Get a real degree- something outside of aviation. English (debatable as real degree?) has been ruled out. See suggestion 2.

Good luck.

- Enlist as an Active or Reserve boom?

- Do you know how long the training pipeline is to become a mission-ready boom?

- Have you considered how your deployments as a boom will impact your .civ flight training at MCCC? (Hint - the effects will be negative.)

- What have you been doing between graduating HS and starting college?

I suggest you do A LOT more research before making any other plans...

Suggestions:

1. Do some research. The 108th doesn't fly KC-10s.

2. Learn the difference between their and there.

3. Get a real degree- something outside of aviation. English (debatable as real degree?) has been ruled out. See suggestion 2.

sorry if me engrish isn' good for you mr enlrish proffesar ' /

Good luck.

What'd you do from ages 18-21?

I graduated high school at 19. I have been working and going to college ever since.

I don't think the GI bill covers flight fees.... Maybe your ground testing but not your flight fees. Why do you want to go to Embry Riddle? Even the world wide campus is very expensive, so if you want to go there make sure you are going for the right reasons and because you think it will give you the best shot at flying. I went there for one semester a dropped 15k. I decided to go to a state school and didn't even spend that much on the remainder of the 3.5 years. Another thing to think about is some states will give you free tuition if you are in the guard. (I know New York and Florida does this). If you want to go to Embry Riddle because you feel you will get the best education? Then go for it, I'm not trying to talk you out of it but rather just giving you my experience. I got my PPL right out of high school and stopped there because I knew if I got a pilot slot the Air Force would pay for the rest, so I took a gamble on that and it paid off, and that saved me a shit ton of money and at the same time got some of the best training in the world. My 2 cents.

Edited by ziploc158

Your first step is to get qualified for the position. Second the KC-10 is flown by the reserve unit in NJ and the KC-135 by the NJ Air National Guard Unit. Joining the unit can help you understand the overall mission and give you access to GI-Bill benefits. Embry-Riddle is not covered under the NJ Air National Guard tuition waiver program but your G-Bill benefits will help. PM if you want more info. Use the search box for great information on how to become qualified.

IAnother thing to think about is some states will give you free tuition if you are in the guard. (I know New York and Florida does this).

Wisconsin does too, and if you want to fly KC-10's there's a KC-135 unit right here in Milwaukee you could apply to!