Appealing a promotion board

Spaceballs

No. You 1Lts and Captains do not "sit on promotion boards". Being their admin bitch boy does not make you part of the actual board. i.e. you do not sit down and grade packages. so to speak.

You quoted me to refute my statement but then agreed with me. I didn't say we are there grading packages, I said we are only there for "administrivia purposes only", i.e. prepping packages and getting anything the generals need. We are very much in the room and hear all the back and forth about "so and so has command experience, so in so's Senior Rater rated two people '#1' in same time period", all that stuff". I've picked up many good tid-bits about what leadership is lookig for by just being in the room listening. I'm by no means an expert, but I'd say I have the same knowledge as the local court bailiff has WRT to how the court process works and what decision the judge is leaning towards.

As for the OPRs/Training Reports, Dec Writeups, we're both essentially right on this. Those full pacakages are there in the room, however, they do not look at them (only looking at DQHB and PRF) unless they are on the edge or something is glaringly wrong with their records. That's when they come to us to request the full package (maybe 1 out of 50 promotee's). So yes they are there, but I don't want people thinking that the board is thumbing through every document of yours prior to making a decision. That's the whole point of the PRF.

Lot's of good info on here for the young Lt's. I'm saddened to say that I've re-acquainted with 2 of my college buds who are now flyers and neither had any clue as to what a "SURF" was. It wouldn't take but 1 day for an active duty Lt to get a good briefing on how AMS, PRDA, SURFS, vMPF, etc... work.

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better...

In comes the 1Lt "wing exec" spouting off promotion advice!

You can't script this shit!

Show me where I've given promotion advice. All I've done was shed some light on the promotion PROCESS, as I've seen some things thrown out in this thread that were not factual.

• Upvote 1

Do you think it is good information? If it is, who cares who it came from? At least he doesn't keep alluding to be in a leadership position without giving us any details on his background.

I think it would be interesting to help with the admin for a promotion board. It would be nice to see how it is done from start to finish.

Edited by one

C'mon, you can't ignore the call outs and still post like nothing's happened. You demanded to know about Rainman, you got it. Fess up.

Anyone else interested in the kid's status? I guess not.

Slackline - do you think I'm dumb enough to post info about myself on an internet forum? Show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are. Before you go screwing up your answer, I said show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are. I did not say show me a dozen posts by internet followers of an internet messiah, claiming that this person is this and that, but have never met him.

My intent is not to prove to an internet forum who I am or am not. If that is your intent, I can see why you are frustrated. You can read what I type, and figure out if you agree or if you think it is garbage. That's what I am doing when I read your posts. I can look at your current post, compare that with previous posts if necessary, and make a judgment call on whether what you are typing is, in my opinion, good or garbage. I do not need your resume.

Slackline - do you think I'm dumb enough to post info about myself on an internet forum? Show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are. Before you go screwing up your answer, I said show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are. I did not say show me a dozen posts by internet followers of an internet messiah, claiming that this person is this and that, but have never met him.

My intent is not to prove to an internet forum who I am or am not. If that is your intent, I can see why you are frustrated. You can read what I type, and figure out if you agree or if you think it is garbage. That's what I am doing when I read your posts. I can look at your current post, compare that with previous posts if necessary, and make a judgment call on whether what you are typing is, in my opinion, good or garbage. I do not need your resume.

Chaff, chaff... Still no answer. Do you get the reference to chaff? It's a military thing, specifically with aircraft that fly in the Air Force. We use it to try and dodge crap. I'm dumbing it down a little, but you get the idea...

Show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are.

Almost everyone on this board is upfront about what their airframe and qualifications are. Many have them in their profile, in their name, or in their signature block. Many people post in the track selection area when they receive their drop. There are endless examples.

Are you even an aviator?

People from all career fields are active on this board, but the non-pilot types generally stay in their lane with regards to rated specific advice. You lack credibility. If you're a MSgt, I'm not going to listen to your advice about OPRs. If you're a cadet, I'm not going to listen to your advice at all. If you actually want to contribute to this board, which is pretty questionable, I would think you would want to establish why people should listen to you.

"You can read what I type, and figure out if you agree or if you think it is garbage." - Nobody is going to listen to an anonymous internet poster without an established track record unless they establish their credibility. I might as well go and read Youtube comments.

Show me one post where someone told me who they are and what their qualifications are.

Why should anyone do anything for you? You asked about one members qualifications. You got an answer. Instead of responding in kind, you continue to dodge, dive, duck and dodge. Your advice is garbage, and you are an idiot.

I feel compelled to throw in some worthless coins here. Context: I palace chased when I was enlisted. Turned down the SERB, turned down testing for SSgt, burned every bridge. I never once contemplated the pros and cons of showing my cards. Everyone that outranked me, which was everyone, admonished me for being foolish. I showed every card. I PC'd into the ANG. While in the ANG I applied for and was accepted to ROTC. Again, everyone that outranked me told me that I was a fool, and that if I stayed in the ANG I could be a MSgt in record time. I showed my cards, and was discharged out of the ANG into ROTC. A few years later, when I was a Captain, I was disenchanted with the institution. I did not try to work any 7 day opt scenarios, I put my separation papers on the DO's desk. And I told him why I wanted to leave. I decided to stay in after a few discussions with the sq, grp, and wg commanders. I got an assignment shortly after, which brightened my outlook.

There are questions that remain:Should I have stayed in the ANG? Should I have voted with my feet as a Captain? I am comfortable leaving those unanswered, because once I made a decision, I showed all of the cards. I was honest with everyone, including myself. If the AF said "get out" when I was a SrA or a Captain, I would have marched on without looking back.

I think it is important that you to come to grips with what you want to do. If you can honestly do that, you'll be fine. If you resort to playing 7 day opt games and RIF games, passed over twice games, etc.; that smacks of you being a chickenshit who doesn't know how to commit to a decision, and/or someone who is trying to milk the institution for every nickel they can. Either way - can you blame the institution for handing you a less than desirable outcome? Be upfront. Don't hold your cards. Do what you are going to do, hopefully your priorities to yourself and your family if you have one can hold a candle to the institution.

As always, I am a divergent one, so let the spears fly.

His leadership probably should have just waived good bye.

ETA: It would be hard to become rated after being enlisted and having to do ROTC. Not impossible but he would be close to the age limitations.

Edited by one

Just when I thought this thread couldn't get any better...

No kidding.

The title needs to change to honor the Olympic gold medal championship level of trolling.

Does anyone have any idea on how negative it looks to the board when they can see that you didn't finish training? If you didn't finish UPT or nav training are they able to see why you didn't finish?

It was brought up that people washed out and got promoted over people who did well in UPT and FTU. Is this because the promotion board doesn’t use this as a factor or was this just something overlooked?

Why should anyone do anything for you? You asked about one members qualifications. You got an answer. Instead of responding in kind, you continue to dodge, dive, duck and dodge. Your advice is garbage, and you are an idiot.

You forgot the "dip."

Did you give him any sound course of action? Did you tell him the AF fu cked the dog on this board and here is what he should do? Or did you spend your valuable time trying to demean members of this board? If you are feeling a vehement reaction to any of your postings, its because everyone here pretty much smells your bullshit and won't put up with it. You have no credability here and no one cares what you think. You may think you're kind of a big deal, but no one here will ever think so. You've shit the bed here, and now you get to lay in it Mr Poopy Pants. And that is what I will refer to you as from now on.

Out

Edited by disgruntledemployee

Does anyone have any idea on how negative it looks to the board when they can see that you didn't finish training? If you didn't finish UPT or nav training are they able to see why you didn't finish?

It was brought up that people washed out and got promoted over people who did well in UPT and FTU. Is this because the promotion board doesn’t use this as a factor or was this just something overlooked?

Depends on what the reason is. We had a 1Lt in our wing meeting the board who was medically dq'd. It did not state it anywhere in his PRF or DQHB, but the board could see that he was a student at his first assignment. His training unit made him an exec for a few months before the AF figured out what AFSC and base he would go to, and when PCS time came, they gave him (then a 2d Lt) an AFAM for PCSing. The board will see things like this and realize that he wasn't dq'd for a negative reason. If they had further questions, they'd dig in to the training report that you receive, where it would show that he had been medically dq'd.

The above example was selected to Captain, btw.

I'll feed the troll, and maybe we can turn this into an introduction and credibility thread.

I'm Pete HOSS Harris, an Aggressor at Nellis.

I've been flying vipers since 2002, to include lots of FMS experience.

I was a T38 FAIP at Columbus prior, and casual at Andrews prior to SUPT.

I personally know several regulars here, and professionally know of quite a few more.

And you are? ...

(edited to remove some stupid from the quote)

Edited by HossHarris
  • Upvote 1

I asked this question at SOS when we were doing one of the few valuable classes there-- the promotion board exercise. I noticed on one of the records that the person in question had started but not completed UPT, and became a nav instead. This is clearly visible to the board on your SURF (or whatever the "proper" term is). It will probably cause increased scrutiny on that 475. If the 475 tells the board that you are a turd and were washed out for being a turd, it will hurt you; however, it is understood that pilot training (or any other training for that matter) isn't for everyone, so even an SIE isn't automatically a deal breaker, so long as you do well where you end up.

Wrong try again.

I don't know how I am wrong. I just said it would be hard. Not impossible. After enlisting, going into the guard, and then finishing your degree while doing ROTC you are going to be close to the cut off age.

Edited by one

Dude - you've proving yourself as unproductive and value lost to the process. The benefits of a different point of view and dissenting opinion are lost when you act like a complete ass. You have quickly become a liability instead of an asset to the board/community. Well, I take that back - your actions are so predictable its entertaining. So please continue - we are laughing at you not with you. Your obvious military experience that may be beneficial to the masses is lost when you talk outside your lane. I highly recommend before you post again to read the rules - and figure out where you fücked up.

e

You can read what I type, and figure out if you agree or if you think it is garbage. That's what I am doing when I read your posts. I can look at your current post, compare that with previous posts if necessary, and make a judgment call on whether what you are typing is, in my opinion, good or garbage. I do not need your resume.

This good sir is not in question...I for one am now just curious what you do and at what level (not even necessarily who you are) so I know how widespread the damage you're likely causing is and if any of it is near where I am.

So I heard there were no rated officers on the board? Can anyone else confirm this, and if this is true, is this the norm?

Very doubtful. Every career field is supposed to have at least some representation on the board proportionate to the percentage that career field makes of the records to be evaluated; however, that does not guarantee that someone with your background will be the person to score your record.

Unless you're just trolling, in which case carry on.

• 2 years later...

I'm a passed over major from last year's O-5 board and I'm scheduled to meet an upcoming SSB. So far I've been unable to find any statistics from SSBs and was just curious if anyone here knew of selection % for these kind of boards? My only anecdotal data points are some who say that virtually no one gets picked up off of SSBs and others who have told me they knew at least half a dozen people who were picked up. AFPC doesn't appear to advertise these numbers, which I found to be a little odd.

Bottom line, I'm ok if I don't get picked up thru this process (which at this point seems incredibly doubtful) and instead get "forced" to take TERA and move on. It's been a great run and I've worked with some really good dudes along the way. I just wish that I knew a little more about SSBs or even what my fate will be after my 1 APZ (TERA, continued, etc...).

Don't count on TERA. The FY14 manpower cuts assumed the USAF "redline" end strength would be 308,900. Due to all of the maintenance manpower shortages, the new redline is 315,400. This means the USAF shouldn't have to use anymore voluntary or involuntary measures to "right size" the force in the near future. Any changes needed will be done through the normal accession/termination processes.