Appealing a promotion board

Spaceballs

I found some DSN numbers on MyPers for non-selection counseling and Eavaluations Appeal Section, if you want them just shoot me a PM.... I'm going to try and fight this, I figure worst comes to worst the Guard my have themselves a new co-pilot!

On another note, My squadron didn't send up an OPR until one year after I graduated the herk school house. I did the math and I fell under 120 days so they could have done an OPR on me for the board. Does anyone know the reg that allows you to back date an OPR or if that is even possible?

Edited by ziploc158

I'm not saying mistakes are never made, but I see no way a blank IPZ PRF made it through the Wing, MLR, and CSB.

Agreed.

It seems impossible to believe something like that would happen. Almost as impossible as a Lt right out of the pipeline getting passed over for Capt.

Almost.

it was interesting to look at the names of those promoted on the portal - to include those who washed back and who did very poorly in pilot training in comparison.

AGAIN, unless you were DG out of UPT/UNT/FTU, it is hard to discriminate based upon a TR. Everyone else below the DG looks the same on paper (for the most part). One of the issues being brought up is trying to make the training squadrons do a better job of putting on paper who did well and who didn't do so well.

On another note, My squadron didn't send up an OPR until one year after I graduated the herk school house. I did the math and I fell under 120 days so they could have done an OPR on me for the board. Does anyone know the reg that allows you to back date an OPR or if that is even possible?

36-2406 is the OPR/EPR reg. If you have a TR from a course greater than 20 weeks (initial qual at LR falls in this category), then your initial OPR is not due until 1 year after the grad date on the TR.

Edited by Fifty-six & Two

36-2406 is the OPR/EPR reg. If you have a TR from a course greater than 20 weeks (initial qual at LR falls in this category), then your initial OPR is not due until 1 year after the grad date on the TR.

Thanks for the reg! That's what my squadron did. What I am thinking is, if I can back date an OPR to meet the 120 day requirement. Will this be enough to file an appeal and win. Since as it stands, I only have two training reports.

What I am thinking is, if I can back date an OPR to meet the 120 day requirement. Will this be enough to file an appeal and win.

Not with a straight face. The 120 day number is only important on OPRs when you change reporting official (i.e. rater change). i.e. your boss PCSs out and you get a new boss, if the old boss had at least 120 days of supervision on you then you get an OPR. If not, you don't.

Same deal if you PCS out before your annual is due. If your last report is less than 4 months old, you generally don't get another report just because you are leaving. If it's older than that then you are supposed to get another report, even if your annual is not due.

So in your case, unless someone wanted to (wink-wink) say your rater changed somewhere in there and they "forgot" to update it in MILPDS and "forgot" to write your OPR, then you don't get a report. Basically, this would look really fishy to a supplemental board.

So in your case, unless someone wanted to (wink-wink) say your rater changed somewhere in there and they "forgot" to update it in MILPDS and "forgot" to write your OPR, then you don't get a report. Basically, this would look really fishy to a supplemental board.

We do this shit all the time. Only in reverse. Meaning when your boss does PCA or PCS and you don't want to do a 120 day OPR they play the switching raters game to make make sure your OPR does not come due until your annual. I thought everyone knew this.

When my PRF was due for Lt Col IPZ they changed my rater so another OPR would go in right before the accounting date, about 5 months early.

We do this shit all the time. Only in reverse. Meaning when your boss does PCA or PCS and you don't want to do a 120 day OPR they play the switching raters game to make make sure your OPR does not come due until your annual. I thought everyone knew this.

It is done all the time...but not after the fact, after a promotion board with the intent to use the report that you fudged CRO dates for on an actual supplemental promotion board and/or to dispute the results of the original board.

AGAIN, unless you were DG out of UPT/UNT/FTU, it is hard to discriminate based upon a TR.

Since we're only promoting DGs amybe we sould just graduate one person per class and save all this other bullshit.

I'm a flyer, and I was passed over for Capt. and notified about it 1 month into a 6 month deployment that I volunteered for (motivating). I wanted to promote just as badly as anyone else, I was even told that my submitted package was "killer" and "super competitive" (as if that was necessary, was what I was thinking...haha) it was interesting to look at the names of those promoted on the portal - to include those who washed back and who did very poorly in pilot training in comparison.

Like many others, I haven't had any negative paper work, my Squadron commander was very apologetic and was essentially in more shock than I was.

Assuming that the Air Force does this again to me this time next year, which I don't have any reason to believe they won't. Does that mean I'm able to seperate almost 8 years prior to my ADSC expiring? How is this a bad thing? Just curious...

I've always heard that your LT years are some of the best years of your career (little to no responsibility) maybe the optimistic way to look at this is to assume Big Blue just wants me to enjoy the best years of my career for ATLEAST one more year. :rock:

I'm re-quoting this because it seems people on here just side-stepped it. Is this standard now? Fuckin non-UIF holding line LT flyer getting the ax to Capt before they even got god damn 500 hours in whatever it is they're flying? If so, fuck it, close shop, there's nothing these old heads can inject to alleviate that particular scenario. That's just systemic failure of the machine. That was not even close to being standard 5 years ago. No way anybody can assert that with a straight face.

Fuck PRFs and kool-aid. Accept you are now in early 1990s Blue, dust off the Discovery Channel VHS tapes from that era, and make decisions accordingly. The experience of those who were in this guy's shoes only 5-10 years ago is NOT useful; the author of the above would be ill-advised to attempt to mimic their "career" progression. Fuck, mine included.

My life philosophy rings true now more than ever: Do something until it no longer is tenable to your condition, or until you get fired. At that point do something else without regret. Don't ever do something under the premise of being afraid of getting fired because that's leaving too much of your self-worth up to machinations that have nothing to do with you.

I know the military owes no one anything, but man, what a broken social contract eh? Do they not know people behave according to personal and rational incentives? Golden rule and all that shit? This ain't that cosmic.... Cock suckers or Morgan Freeman is right.....

• Upvote 2

Fuckin non-UIF holding line LT flyer getting the ax to Capt before they even got god damn 500 hours in whatever it is they're flying?

If so, fuck it, close shop, there's nothing these old heads can inject to alleviate that particular scenario.

Fuck PRFs and kool-aid.

Fuck, mine included.

This ain't that cosmic.... Cock suckers or Morgan Freeman is right.....

Nice post!

Andrew-Dice-Clay.jpg

I appealed my primary board when my wonderful supervision sent in a PRF with misspelled words all over it. It had already been sent to AFPC by the time I saw it. It took AFPC two weeks to grant my request to go to a supplemental board.

Unfortunately, your chances of making it on a sup board are astronomical. I think it was about a 2% select rate on mine.

Any idea when the next promotion board meets for passed over dudes? Like will it be a year from your last board or does your name get thrown into the hat for the next sequential board? I saw that there were something like 3 or 4 boards a year so I was just curious how many lives I have left...

\

But I rater did change, I came to my squadron with one commander, then in Jan. I got a new one.... so from what I under stand this would qualify. Right?

Found some interesting stats today...with those that have no AAD, ASBC complete and a P on their PRFs, promotion stats were:

Pilot: 124/145 for 85%

Nav: 15/32 for 46%

ABM: 14/19 for 73%

So.. my stint in that wonderful school of ASBC helped me get promoted over a Nav who didn't even have chance to go? :vomit:

How are there no rated guys on the board that can take care of this shit? We've got to have fliers knocking out AAD's for O3? FOR O3!? I think it's bullshit for me as a Cyber guy, but come on!

So.. my stint in that wonderful school of ASBC helped me get promoted over a Nav who didn't even have chance to go? :vomit:

How are there no rated guys on the board that can take care of this shit? We've got to have fliers knocking out AAD's for O3? FOR O3!? I think it's bullshit for me as a Cyber guy, but come on!

Actually, Navs who did not go to ASBC had a better chance of getting promoted than those that did go. 15/32 w/ ASBC & P (47%), 23/28 w/o ASBC & w/ P (82%).....74% for Mission Support Lts w/ ASBC and a P but no AAD.

Actually, Navs who did not go to ASBC had a better chance of getting promoted than those that did go. 15/32 w/ ASBC & P (47%), 23/28 w/o ASBC & w/ P (82%).....74% for Mission Support Lts w/ ASBC and a P but no AAD.

I just don't even....

If you're saying the dude in your example was IPZ, well, I don't buy it. Check your facts/details. Even if it made it out of the Wing blank, it would have got sent back at the MLR. There are actually a lot more checks in the system than most people realize or know about, for precisely the reasons discussed here - that the system must be able to endure legal/congressional scrutiny. I'm not saying mistakes are never made, but I see no way a blank IPZ PRF made it through the Wing, MLR, and CSB.

Well, you'd be wrong. It happened

Fucking Navs. Navs got fucked

FIFY

Edited by BQZip01