Alabama Deer Hunting Help

brabus

Found out I'll be at Maxwell through deer season. Does anyone have any good info for non-resident white tail and possibly hog hunting in AL? I'm down for driving anywhere in the state on the weekends. I'm not much for outfitters (don't desire to pay $1400 for a white tail hunt), but if that's the only realistic way to hunt I am not against it, assuming I can find something reasonably affordable. I appreciate the help any of you can lend.

Also, if anyone else here is going to be in AL for the first month of the early gun season, let me know if you want to put a trip or two together.

Phuck Maxwell!

Now that that's out of the way I'll throw in my .02

When I'm in a new town I go check out the local outdoor store. Usually the people behind the counter can give you some local hunting info(I've found the people in the archery department to be the most knowledgeable). Whether it be a lease or public land, those people usually know their $hit. Throw in the fact that you're military and they'll be more than willing to help, unless they're some sort of godless commie bastards.

Edited by Gus Chiggins

I was in the Reserve unit at Maxwell and lived about 20 miles from there. If I were still there I would hook you up. Alabama has probably the best laws for making deer hunting easy. No tags, no check stations etc. About the only thing you can't do is hunt over corn and spotlight. From the start of bow season (mid Oct) to the end of gun season (january 31) you can pretty much bag a buck AND a doe a day. I may have heard of people getting more than that in a day but they made sure they had enough people with them to claim the extras. The deer aren't huge in central Alabama but still a lot of fun.

Hunting deer on base sucks in C-bus. Apparently they became a problem and the base put on some sort of deer genocide from what i'm told. Last year my buddy and I were on casual and had a lot of success just asking land owners for permission. I would imagine AL is the same. Stoked for oct 1 here this year got a lot of good deer on camera. We took deer on public land too, google barton ferry, town creek, and dwayne hayes WMAs. Going to hog hunt in Alabama next weekend. The sipsey wilderness and bankhead natl forest are supposedly full of hogs. You can hunt the natl forest year round up there but can only hunt the WMA's when there is a season in.

Ft Benning used to have a great program. Part of it is in AL and you could hunt either side of the river.

Edit to add that there used to be a decent campground on the AL side, Uchee creek was the name of it. They would rent campers and put them on the spot for you. Could walk to bow hunt, gun was a little further away.

Edited by arg

Hunting deer on base sucks in C-bus. Apparently they became a problem and the base put on some sort of deer genocide from what i'm told. Last year my buddy and I were on casual and had a lot of success just asking land owners for permission. I would imagine AL is the same. Stoked for oct 1 here this year got a lot of good deer on camera. We took deer on public land too, google barton ferry, town creek, and dwayne hayes WMAs. Going to hog hunt in Alabama next weekend. The sipsey wilderness and bankhead natl forest are supposedly full of hogs. You can hunt the natl forest year round up there but can only hunt the WMA's when there is a season in.

The problem when I was there was a T-38 hitting a deer doing a touch and goes at night. Little blood and fur on the nose gear but, otherwise, no damage. A venison roast was served up by the maintainers and they gave the IP a plaque with a little deer hoof mounted on it. The great deer massacre occurred a short time later.