Air Force flying with Navy

sasmith

I have heard about the Air Force pilots flying off carriers with the Navy, has anyone heard any info about this?

From what I've heard flying off 'em is the easy part. They're probably cool with us Air Force pilots doing that as long as we don't land on 'em.

Short answer: yes, there are limited opportunities for exchange flying with the USN, including jobs that feature carrier ops. Perhaps a half dozen or less per year for all the different fighter MWSs. They can be competitive positions to get.

The majority of the jobs I've seen, though, are not carrier-qual positions. They're in FTUs or aggressor units, etc.

Are they assignments you have to put in a special package to apply of or how does the selection for them work ?

Marry a Navy NFO. All 6 peps I know at Whidbey are cross service mil-to-mil. Or check AFPC like Hacker said... probably less of an asspain.

Has anyone ever heard of getting an exchange assignment coming straight from whiting? I know AF students only do phase 1 and 2 at whiting is there anyway to finish with the Navy then go back to flying AF?

No -- that is not one of the SUPT options.

Anyone hear of heavy guys doing an exchange gig? I'm very interested to go fly the P-8.

I would hazard a guess to say it would be difficult to secure simply given there are only 2 on the ramp here in Jax. Navy is still spinning up the schoolhouse.

Translation: I want to fly for SWA, but don't want to pay for the type.

Translate all you want, but the mission does dovetail nicely into my AF background (JSTARS). We're picking up more and more maritime work, so a E-8/P-8 exchange actually does make sense beyond just a type rating, not that I would complain about a B738 type either.

Marry a Navy NFO. All 6 peps I know at Whidbey are cross service mil-to-mil. Or check AFPC like Hacker said... probably less of an asspain.

Or just don't accept your first offer. Be persistent and marry a female NFO.