First Family Readiness Center in AOR

C17Driver

Disagree...Doha certainly isn't my first choice for cities (or weather for that matter) but shithole may be a little extreme. Anywhere with air conditioning and passable food and satellite TV and people driving Mercedes Benz SUVs does not qualify as a shithole in the grand scheme of the world. As an overseas PCS it's way behind Europe and Japan on my list but for a "deployed location" it's pretty freaking ok.

As a deployed location, it's plush. As a 3-year assignment, it's a shithole.

I went back and scrolled up...still don't see anyone comparing Doha to Afcrapistan.

I don't know, maybe you have some sort of robot brain that is incapable of human concepts such as "inference" and "intuition", and needs a direct, obvious input to interpret data in your memory banks. We shall work on getting you an upgrade to your emotion processor so that you may understand these things, LockheedBot.

LOL. Lockheedbot, remember... instead of facts, use your emotions to make "inferences" and use your human (women's?) "intuition" to arrive at a false conclusion.

I try to make inferences and assumptions at every opportunity. Who needs reading comprehension when you can just use intuition?

Disagree...Doha certainly isn't my first choice for cities (or weather for that matter) but shithole may be a little extreme. Anywhere with air conditioning and passable food and satellite TV and people driving Mercedes Benz SUVs does not qualify as a shithole in the grand scheme of the world. As an overseas PCS it's way behind Europe and Japan on my list but for a "deployed location" it's pretty freaking ok.

To each his own, I suppose. Like some others have said, it's not a bad place to go out for an afternoon to get to wear civilian clothes and eat some real food, but i'd never want to live there. The novelty of riding a camel and visiting a tacky, highly flamable mall would wear off quickly and be replaced with loathing for the homicidal drivers, endless dirty strip malls, and general filth. The airport is particularly disgusting. Even with an impoverished Pakistani cleaning the bathroom full time, you still manage to end up with a literal pool of shit on the floor. Definitely not saying the Deid is a worse place to deploy than Kandahar, Bagram, etc, but the city itself is one of the last places on earth i'd want to PCS.

To each his own, I suppose...The airport is particularly disgusting...but the city itself is one of the last places on earth i'd want to PCS.

Wow, I guess man. I had no qualms with their airport at all, I've seen worse/dirtier in the U.S. let alone in 3rd world countries. Not that I would choose to live there, but I've been to a several significantly crappier cities in the world and that's just scratching the surface.

I've seen worse/dirtier in the U.S. let alone in 3rd world countries. Not that I would choose to live there, but I've been to a several significantly crappier cities in the world and that's just scratching the surface.

You are correct to say there are places far worse. You have been to complete shitholes and you know what you are saying is fact. Fewer than 1% will ever go the places you are using as examples. You would never allow any member of your family to move to those places. For all intents and purposes the benchmarks you are using don't exist.

Doha sucks. That's a fact.

Side note, I read an interview of Big Deale about Bagram in Air Force Magazine today. He was talking about 30k people there now. I remember when it was like the bar scene from Star Wars. Just goes to show...shithole today, Taj Mahal tomorrow.

You can try to polish a turd all you want, but it's still a turd. They can have all the Mercedes and AC they want. I couldn't imagine ever taking my family to that place. Ever. If I had to choose between Cannon and Doha, it's really a no brainer.