"No Easy Day" - Book revealing details about Bin Laden Raid (Neptune Spear)

Danger41

Got this on my .mil account today.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"On 04 September 2012 the Assistant Secretary Defense for Public Affairs noted that the Department believes the recently published book “No Easy Day” contains classified and sensitive unclassified information. As has been reported in the press, the author did not submit this book for pre-publication review that is required by non-disclosure agreements he signed.

In response to requests for guidance and to reinforce individual obligations to protect classified national security information and sensitive unclassified information, the following guidance concerning the book “No Easy Day” (NED) is provided:

DoD personnel:

-- are free to purchase NED;

-- are not required to store NED, unless classified statements in the book have been annotated;

-- shall not discuss potentially classified and sensitive unclassified information with persons that do not have an official need to know and an appropriate security clearance;

-- who possess either firsthand knowledge of, or suspect information within NED to be classified or sensitive, shall not publically speculate or discuss potentially classified or sensitive unclassified information outside official U.S. Government channels (e.g. Chain-of-Command, Public Affairs, Security, etc.);

-- are prohibited from using unclassified government computer systems to discuss potentially classified or sensitive contents of the book, and must not engage in online discussions via social networking or media sites regarding potentially classified or sensitive unclassified information that may be contained in NED.

-- DoD personnel should refer any media inquiries to their local Public Affairs Office."

Finished it. Really liked it, came across as very humble and described things well enough to make you feel like you were there...that's what I took away anyway. The idea of chasing Taliban fighters up on goat trails with sheer dropoffs, at high elevation and at night...not so much fun.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Weird - that's exactly the reason why I have low expectations.

I suppose I should caveat that statement with the fact that I know next to nothing about the EOD community. And that I watched it on a 3" screen in the back of a 767 somewhere over the atlantic. But at the time it seemed like it was pretty well done.

Edited by Archa3opt3ryx

Slightly off topic, but this looks pretty badass:

Zero Dark Thirty, looks to be the same story but unrelated to No Easy Day. Made by the same dudette who made The Hurt Locker, so I have pretty high expectations.

FTFY. Apparently they just got lucky with the timing on this movie. As always, better to be lucky than good.

Read it...

- Lacked the typical BUD/S recap which reads " I was tired, cold and they beat the piss out of me..."

- Had a little more descriptions of the guns which I liked.

- Described a relatively recent experience in his selection process.

- Humble and taken as just another story.

Not cool about trying hide but dropping all the info about where you came from - not hard to trace back a SEAL much less a SEAL from Alaska. One of my best friends fits this description very closely and his parents were fielding phone calls from the media prior to the author's real name becoming known.

Heard from a contact that the SEAL charities he wanted to donate his proceeds to are refusing to accept it... And that he is persona nongrata in the community now...

Read it...

Heard from a contact that the SEAL charities he wanted to donate his proceeds to are refusing to accept it... And that he is persona nongrata in the community now...

He fucked up and broke the rule. Now he is out. Forever.

I won't read it for that reason alone.

It's entirely possible not every SEAL has the same opinion on the subject as there are several thousand of them.

From what I took from my reading, he and several of his teammates were frustrated with the narrative of their work that had been given by the administration. Especially given how much information was leaked out after the mission including lots of wildly inaccurate stuff, and that their team was being continually reminded and harassed by their management about not leaking anything out. Their perspective was basically that they were barking up the wrong tree. It got to the point where when the team met the President at Ft Campbell, and they were supposed to sign a framed flag from the mission, and the quote was 'fuck man they've leaked everything else, our names are all we have left, why should we sign it? So they can leak those too?' Then his critical commentary on the President and how the Vice President conducted himself at the meeting...you can see why the book wasn't given to the DoD for review.

I guess I'd rather see this story here from a direct source than, say, in that upcoming Zero Dark Thirty movie that came directly from leaks out of the White House.

It's entirely possible not every SEAL has the same opinion on the subject as there are several thousand of them.

Hence the issue of someone running off and writing a book and others not being happy.

I assume you are familiar with these guys, especially this particular team. If so, you know how they feel about this kind of thing. Pretty fucking united.

I guess I'd rather see this story here from a direct source than, say, in that upcoming Zero Dark Thirty movie that came directly from leaks out of the White House.

Why does anyone need to know any details?

Osama Bin Laden is dead. We're not done. You know who you are. See you around campus.

People are starting to piece together other details based on what was released in No Easy Day. Almost done with the book finally, I enjoyed the writer's writing style and he did seem humble and straight-forward about everything. Much better written than Lone Survivor for a sorta comparison.

http://openchannel.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/09/14323825-satellite-images-appear-to-reveal-cias-secret-bin-laden-training-ground?lite

• 7 months later...
Guest CannonCrashPad

Wow. Claiming the Secretary of Defense leaked classified information to make the movie? I'm sure that will sit well with the reporters and whistle blowers who get targeted (but don't get promoted like the former SecDef did).