"No Easy Day" - Book revealing details about Bin Laden Raid (Neptune Spear)

Danger41

Surprised nobody said anything about this yet.

A new book - "No Easy Day" - is set to be released on Sept. 11 that details the raid that killed Bin Laden and was written by one of the SEALs who was actually part of the element that kicked down the door and killed Bin Laden. Obviously, questions about OPSEC and things of that nature are running rampant as a result.

So is the author "Mark Owen" (pseudonym for the actual author who has been revealed by Fox News if you want to find him)a hero or a rat for breaking the silence of such a top secret mission?

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/08/24/will-no-easy-day-book-on-bin-laden-raid-break-seals-code-of-silence.html

The SAS (and other British special operations types, presumably) have for a number of years been required to sign a contract that explicitly prohibits them from publishing books once they leave. This followed a spate of books written after Gulf War I.

Interesting to read the Admiral saying that these guys have a right to write about their adventures, therefore.I'd have thought that the US would have had pretty much the same controls in place.

Edited by Steve Davies

I can't even comprehend the level of douche bag it takes for a guy totally read in on Tier 1 programs to get out of AD & write a book detailing any part of those programs without allowing your former boss (SOCOM) to have a look first. Writing a book about yourself is corny enough, this just adds a potentially criminal breach of current TTPs on top, with some broken trust between your former comrades/commanders mixed in for good measure. My take (taking the news story at face value & assuming there aren't other machinations at work): this guy is a dick.

Mark Bissonet. Did he really think the world wasn't going to find out who he was? He didn't have the book vetted by the Navy, which as I understand it, is required.

I hope he makes a boatload of money, because he's going to need it.

The SAS (and other British special operations types, presumably) have for a number of years been required to sign a contract that explicitly prohibits them from publishing books once they leave. This followed a spate of books written after Gulf War I.

Interesting to read the Admiral saying that these guys have a right to write about their adventures, therefore.I'd have thought that the US would have had pretty much the same controls in place.

He had to sign a non-disclosure agreement, as well. Which makes it all the more interesting.

Love the hypocrisy of Fox News for outing this guy's real name when earlier they were slamming the Obama administration leaking info on the raid and risking the lives of the SEALs who were involved in the op.

• Upvote 6

Love the hypocrisy of Fox News for outing this guy's real name when earlier they were slamming the Obama administration leaking info on the raid and risking the lives of the SEALs who were involved in the op.

Can a guy who authors a book, writes about where he grew up, etc really be serious about keeping his anonymity?

From one of the jihad watch blogs. This could get ugly! http://m.memri.org/1...d3d5cl7rlsakb73

Those pictures were lifted from this article. And they can ask for a jihad all they want, if they had any sort of ability to perform operations in the US then every synagogue, military base, and sporting event would have been hit long ago.

While something definitely feels off about this whole thing, if this dude really was one of the guys in on the raid, good luck to any fucking jihadi who tries to take him out. He'll smell the shit on your left hand and you'll be dead before you even knew you were within two blocks of him.

Anyone ever been to Wrangell? Me neither, but I flew by it. I think if you wanted to piss off all the Jihadi's, then go hang out somewhere safe, that'd be a pretty good choice.

I feel a little bad for the next Arab-looking tourist that shows up in town.

I feel a little bad for the next Arab-looking tourist that shows up in town.

That made me laugh. But I think you're right. I have been there and the whole allah akbhar thing would draw pretty quick attention from people more used to wrestling brown bears for fun.

While something definitely feels off about this whole thing, if this dude really was one of the guys in on the raid, good luck to any fucking jihadi who tries to take him out. He'll smell the shit on your left hand and you'll be dead before you even knew you were within two blocks of him.

I don't know. Seems like an unnecessary risk. Why put your family in the spot light when there are radicals inside the U.S. hoping for the chance to avenge OBL's death. Maybe I've read a little too much Flynn but it just seems like nothing good comes out of this scenario. There are known threats at RPA bases who have followed crews driving home from work. SOCOMs boss issued a stern warning here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/seal-author-who-wrote-unauthorized-account-of-bin-laden-raid-could-face-legal-trouble-threats/2012/08/23/9fea0864-ed83-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

I don't know. Seems like an unnecessary risk. Why put your family in the spot light when there are radicals inside the U.S. hoping for the chance to avenge OBL's death. Maybe I've read a little too much Flynn but it just seems like nothing good comes out of this scenario. There are known threats at RPA bases who have followed crews driving home from work. SOCOMs boss issued a stern warning here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/seal-author-who-wrote-unauthorized-account-of-bin-laden-raid-could-face-legal-trouble-threats/2012/08/23/9fea0864-ed83-11e1-866f-60a00f604425_story.html

I agree it's an unnecessary risk to subject your family to. There's also a difference between following around a Pred pilot and a SEAL.

So nobody's actually read the book yet and the SEAL's a d-bag?

And publishers would never add drama to gain publicity and sales for a book. One that may or may not have the details on the raid or just be by a guy who knew a guy type.

I do not know the facts of this book. I do not know that this guy did or did not reveal operational TTPs. But I do think he's earned the benefit of the doubt until someone has actually read the book.

And nobody has actually read the book yet.

So did this guy actually "retire" at 36 or does the news have this mixed up with "separate"?

Enlist at 17, medical retirement at 19 years due to bad knees from kicking so much ass? It's possible.

EDIT: Or maybe he did this: http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2012/01/23/navy-offers-early-retirement-program/

Edited by backseatdriver
  • Upvote 1