Shipping a Full-sized Pick-up to Ramstein

addict

Full size pick-up question:

My truck exceeds 20 measurement tonnes. Do I get stuck with the difference in cost to get up to my shipment size, or do I pay the entire shipment fee? Port and TMO are both out to lunch on this. Literally, I can't get anyone after 11 am in most places.

Store or sell your truck. Buy a cheap, small used car when you get over there. I've lived in both Germany and the UK. You will not be comfortable in a large truck and will stick out as an American from miles away. When in Rome man...

• Upvote 1

Store or sell your truck. Buy a cheap, small used car when you get over there. I've lived in both Germany and the UK. You will not be comfortable in a large truck and will stick out as an American from miles away. When in Rome man...

That's the advice I got. It was shitty advice. I regret listening to it.

Don't know why you would be uncomfortable and damn right you will stick out as an American.

It isn't about sticking out as an American...it is about finding a parking spot or using the parking garages or driving through small towns when everyone is parked on the sides of the roads, or using the smaller, winding state roads. It is not impossible to get around with a full size truck, but it is inconvenient. Those are the things you don't think about until you're already there. Good luck with that.

P.S. you'll stick out as an American no matter what you drive....nothing to be ashamed of. Go 'Merica!

FWIW I had my 2007 Dodge Ram Quad Cab in Ramstein for 2 years. Yeah it was bigger than most other vehicles on the road but I don't regret bringing it one bitte. The worst part was that awesome moment when people need something moved or picked up at a store and they realize you have a truck.

The other thing to think about is the fuel ration. I think mine was 300 liters a month. The only time I came close to that was when family was in town and we drove all over that country.

Also, full size American trucks are a rarity in Europe so don't be surprised if locals make you offers for it while you're out and about.

As for sticking out as an American, K-Town is the largest concentration o Americans outside of the 50 states. You're going to stick out everywhere else you go regardless of what you drive. And if you're that concerned about it, head over to Sixt at the KMCC and rent a BMW for the weekend. Tchuss....

Skinny and Rainman are right. Take the truck with you to Germany. If you find having a truck inconvenient (it CAN be), you can sell it to a farmer for a pretty good amount of money. Selling a car to a local in Germany isn't as big a deal as other European countries like, say, Spain. Then a year later you can buy yourself a discounted BMW M3 and bring it back with you to the US, sell it for a profit, and get yourself a new truck.

Good luck with that.

Yeah, it'll take 6.9 seconds to find a POS small car in the lemon lot if you find yourself all bound up because you can't park. Or drive on a "windy road."

A real cranium scratcher that will be.

Forgot to add...yes, you will get stuck paying the difference for being over the 20 metric tons. I think mine was just over $200. You can either pay it on the spot or have them take it out of your next paycheck.

Lemon lot on Ramstein is pretty decent. You can usually find mid 90s BMWs for reasonable prices.

............. The worst part was that awesome moment when people need something moved or picked up at a store and they realize you have a truck.

Best bumper sticker I ever saw on a truck said:

"Yes this is my truck.

And NO, I won't help you move your SHIT"

I wish I could find one for my truck.

Ship the truck, you'll make lots of friends.

Best bumper sticker I ever saw on a truck said:

"Yes this is my truck.

And NO, I won't help you move your SHIT"

I wish I could find one for my truck.

Here's a source for a few of those stickers.

If I was going to put a sticker on my bumper though, I prefer this one.

Edited by HU&W

Bring the truck. The pro's (too many to list) outweigh the cons (small roads, parking). I only know one person that has ever reached their fuel ration, and they were basically driving laps around Germany.

Plus...

The German train/subway/bus system is legit. We use it all the time. Why worry about drinking and driving when I can take the train and pre/post-game on the train? Genau.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I would have brought a 4X4 beater pickup with me when I did my remote in Iceland, could have made a indecent profit selling it to a local who would have tricked it out or use it for parts. Icelandics do some serious 4X4ing when they go into the interior of their country . I wonder if that same thought process would work in Germany, the ones I work with now always ask me questions about my F-350 Diesel GOV I drive everyday. Are there a DRMO in Germany so locals can buy old GOV''s?

I had 4X4 diesel Ford Excursion in Germany for 3 years. No, you can't go into a small town or a parking garage and think you are going to park it anywhere. On the road it was fine. With the size, it commanded respect from the little guys. It was good for road trips in Germany, where I could use my diesel ration. I never had a problem running out of my fuel ration amount in a month. I cruised the autobahn at 80mph. Crazy wife was doing 105 till I told her that this was not her sports car and it will not stop or turn on a dime. When I shipped it over, they said it was too big. I signed some papers to have the amount ($200??) deducted. Funny, that never happened. Yes, all the neighbors would ask me to pick up things at the PX for them. There is no hiding that you are a typical American in the K-town area. What you drive will ID you. I sold my Excursion to a Major that was pcs'ing to the states with 3 kids and they wanted a diesel to pull a trailer. Perfect vehicle for them.

Still, I wouldn't have passed up the opportunity to own/drive a German-spec car. I had two 3-series BMWs while at Ramstein and they were a lot different than their American counterparts. Plus they have cars there that we don't see in the States.

Having just been in Heidelberg for a week in May back I am still convinced that a large pick-up isn't the best idea...but it's certainly doable.

Cheers! M2

When I was there, we drove a minivan (I know) and a German spec Mercedes from the lemon lot. The Merc was incredibly fun to drive on the autobahn. The minivan was the real win though. We got a much bigger gas ration since it fit the minivan/suv/truck categoty, but the gas mileage on it was much better than the suv's and trucks. Because of this, we were able to travel all over within the rationed gas and never ran out. I was also able to empty out all the back seats and use it like I would a truck. Overall, it worked well and fit on the roads/parking spaces.

When I was there, we drove a minivan (I know) and a German spec Mercedes from the lemon lot. The Merc was incredibly fun to drive on the autobahn. The minivan was the real win though. We got a much bigger gas ration since it fit the minivan/suv/truck categoty, but the gas mileage on it was much better than the suv's and trucks. Because of this, we were able to travel all over within the rationed gas and never ran out. I was also able to empty out all the back seats and use it like I would a truck. Overall, it worked well and fit on the roads/parking spaces.

Lol. You bought a minivan.

• Upvote 2

Hey, don't knock the shaggin' wagon 'till you've taken a trip with kids in one. I could give a shit what other road users think of my ride when I'm enjoying the sweet bliss of a front seat that is out of range of my son's feet.

• Upvote 1