CSO and OVT Test

Thunder 15

Hi,

I am a USAFA cadet, but I have taken the OVT depth perception test many times for solo flight considerations.

The results were failures, so I am wondering if one needs to pass the OVT to be CSO medically qualified?

Edited by Thunder 15

I was under the impression that failing the OVT test does not neccessarily mean you don't have depth perception. Instead, if you fail the test, the doc does some more in depth testing to determine whether or not you truely have a depth perception problem. Meaning, failure of the OVT may not neccessarily mean you will need a waiver.

I am pretty sure it even says something to that extent in the instruction that tells them how to administer the test. I am not positive though, because I passed mine at my FC-1, even though I failed the same test when I originally enlisted over a decade ago.

If you search, this is discussed in depth in other threads. Learn how to take the test, take your time, implement some techniques before you take your physical.

Edited by Kenny Powers

I know folks who memorize the whole thing. Way beyond my bandwidth, but hey, gotta make sacrifices amiright? It's never the first nor the last, and if you've never seen one of those magic eye images, your stereoscopic is shot (from experience)...

Thank you for all the replies.

I did scan these forums about the OVT Test. I tried all the tricks, but they don't work.

The optometrist has worked with me and given me a set of eye exercises to strengthen the eye muscles.

How does one qualify for a waiver, does it have anything to do with how competitive of a candidate you are?

Edited by Thunder 15

I know folks who memorize the whole thing. Way beyond my bandwidth,

You only have to pass through D (for pilot, IIRC), A is a practice block, so at the least you only have to remember a 15 number sequence of 2,3, or 4. Thats 5 more numbers than a telephone number, just saying...

I agree about the magic eye images being very similar in technique for me. When I look at the test, I have to give it a minute once I start looking and let my eyes kind of relax (almost trying not to focus I guess you could say), then they show right up. Doing eye exercises to strengthen the muscles seems counterintuitive to me, from a technique standpoint, but I am no optometerist.

Edited by Kenny Powers

What I found effective was focusing on each circle one by one on the row I was being tested on, remember to take your time. Then I would zoom out and look at the entire row. If you have depth perception the circle should pop out. Some people had depth perception problems, as in couldn't even pass the first set. They were issued glasses and were then able to pass all of the tests. See if your optometrist can prescribe you some glasses, those might help.

Edited by BlackMamba