Misawa F-16 down

Jaded

There's a place to discuss this stuff. This isn't it.

Not expecting a detailed discussion here. However, a lot of the time good lessons are lost in events like this one. Just hoping the channels stay open. Good chance multiple MWSs to take something away here.

Rainman is right, this isn't the place. I do agree with Prozac that mission planning could be more robust in the event that one of the fighters has issues. I hope any aircrew that does a CORONET gets briefed on what happened after all the dust has settled.

Either way, glad the pilot is safe. :beer:

Were they KC-10s or the mini-tanker?

Honestly don't know if I can say, but I'm sure the info about their part in the whole thing will be in the SIB report. Like Rainmain said, won't be talking about it here. Bottom line, they did well and played a critical roll in saving a bro's life.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 1

I don't get it.

I was in Misawa this weekend. I flew out a couple hours prior to this incident so it hit somewhat close to home.

I was a witness to Yukla 27 and don't wish to be anywhere near another accident again. That incident still haunts me.

I was in Misawa this weekend. I flew out a couple hours prior to this incident so it hit somewhat close to home.

I was a witness to Yukla 27 and don't wish to be anywhere near another accident again. That incident still haunts me.

Define witnessed, that could be a story worth reading. No offense to what happened.

Define witnessed, that could be a story worth reading. No offense to what happened.

Not much of a story to tell. I was driving around the hammerhead on my way to work, watching the E3 take off headed away from me, saw them bank left when they were airborn (as per usual at that strip), watched it just "slide down" into the trees while still banked and then the subsequent fireball.

pix072712misawaTH.jpg

Misawa Falcons Resume Flight Operations: F-16s at Misawa AB, Japan, took to the air again on July 26 after 35th Fighter Wing leadership lifted a temporary safety standdown to inspect the base's F-16s after one of them crashed in the Pacific Ocean on July 22. "Flight safety continues to be our main concern, and the 35th FW has completed a thorough inspection of all F-16s," stated 35th FW Vice Commander Col. Van Wimmer in a July 26 base release. "To further ensure our commitment to safety, all F-16 pilots were briefed on long-duration mission and egress procedures," with an emphasis on extended over-water flights, he added. In addition to the physical review of the F-16s, 35th FW investigators interviewed pilots and maintainers, and reviewed aircraft maintenance records to verify confidence in unit practices. Pacific Air Forces investigators were scheduled to arrive at Misawa on July 26 as part of the official inquest into the mishap, according to the release. (Includes Misawa report by 2nd Lt. Son Lee)

• 2 months later...