Help with a Divorce

Catbox

On 2/17/2018 at 7:28 AM, M2 said:

I remember an enlisted guy in our wing who simply separated after his 20 was up, he didn't formally retire so his ex wouldn't get half.  Drastic, but I am sure he had his reasons...

Dude in my unit got divorced many years ago and signed away rights to half of his “AD military retirement” in the process. Immediately after the divorce went final, he separated and joined the ANG. He retired as a technician with something like 7298/7300 pts. Ex-box is getting zero.

Well played. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Dude in my unit got divorced many years ago and signed away rights to half of his “AD military retirement” in the process. Immediately after the divorce went final, he separated and joined the ANG. He retired as a technician with something like 7298/7300 pts. Ex-box is getting zero.

Well played. 

Ah yes. Scorched Earth. My personal favorite. A toast!:beer:

kane.gif.3038b39c11e9e16cb478d1fb3dfa612a.gif

12 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Well played. 

I told this story 2 pages ago.    Style points 4, Situational Awareness 0   

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, matmacwc said:

I told this story 2 pages ago.    Style points 4, Situational Awareness 0   

Yeah but I tell stories better. Crawl back into your hole before I share the one about you getting hit by a taxicab in front of the Venetian and limping around the Red Flag building for the next week. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 1 month later...

So divorce finalized a short while ago, and have a follow up question regarding alimony.  I set up an allotment from mypay for the alimony but it says to contact finance.  When I visited finance they gave me a confused stare and said they didn't have any clue.  So am I okay just leaving it as an allotment or do I need to do something more official?  Also, when tax season comes around I heard I can deduct alimony.  Any help/insight appreciated.

Edited by YoungnDumb
grammar

1 hour ago, YoungnDumb said:

So divorce finalized a short while ago, and have a follow up question regarding alimony.  I set up an allotment from mypay for the alimony but it says to contact finance.  When I visited finance they gave me a confused stare and said they didn't have any clue.  So am I okay just leaving it as an allotment or do I need to do something more official?  Also, when tax season comes around I heard I can deduct alimony.  Any help/insight appreciated.

Can't speak to the mypay question, but you can definitely deduct alimony - it's 1040 Line 31a under adjusted gross income.

1 hour ago, Royal said:

Just a heads up, the new tax laws changed some rules on alimony deductions:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/under-trumps-tax-plan-divorces-are-about-to-get-a-lot-nastier-2017-11-03

True statement, however those of us paying an ex boat anchor from divorces finalized prior to the end of 2018 will be grandfathered into the old rules. 

• Like 2

Were you ordered to pay via allotment in your decree? I think finance may need a copy of the decree.

On 2/20/2018 at 5:55 AM, ViperStud said:

Yeah but I tell stories better. Crawl back into your hole before I share the one about you getting hit by a taxicab in front of the Venetian and limping around the Red Flag building for the next week. 

That happened?

7 hours ago, YoungnDumb said:

If you do not have to involve finance/DFAS, then don’t.  That’s an entirely unecessary risk; they will fvck something up, given the opportunity, as you’re already experiencing.

I paid mine via auto bank ACH. 

Nope, it's just easiest that way.  They took a copy of the decree anyways for bah purposes.

Allotments are a bad idea unless you can’t manage your finances. The government takes the money out of your paycheck early in the month and pays it at the end. If you set up an auto debit it is your money and not a loan to the government.

2 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Allotments are a bad idea unless you can’t manage your finances. The government takes the money out of your paycheck early in the month and pays it at the end. If you set up an auto debit it is your money and not a loan to the government.

I mean, technically it's my ex-wifes money so whether it comes out of an allotment or my personal account, does it really matter?  Or did I misinterpret that and earn my username again?