FC1/Concussion

mxfreak54

Going for my FC1 in a couple weeks, medical office requested hospital records from a concussion I got in 2002, and another in 2004. Both were mild, loss of conciseness for a minute or two, hospital did the MRIs said there was no damage, rest for two weeks and I was good to go. Never have had any problems since the incidents. Anything to be worried about or just standard procedure for all head injuries?

I searched for the regs online, all I found on head injuries is regs if you are already have had a flying physical.

Any help is appreciated.

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, UPTapplicant2017 said:

I am about to go to MEPs for a reserve board coming up.  I have two concussions documented at a local hospital from when i was playing rugby in college - 1 was LOC 45 seconds. The other was because i had to get stitches and because they were on my head they tacked on a minor concussion even though i felt fine.  At the same hospital i had an appendectomy a couple of years later, no complications.  My recruiter told me to not mention the concussions (which I do not feel comfortable doing) and stated to not even bring the appendectomy medical documents to MEPs (I think they will request them when i get there no?)

If MEPs request the records from the appendectomy im assuming they'll be able to pull all the additional docs from that hospital which show the concussions am i wrong?  

I'm not confident I'll pass medical TBH feel like I'm SOL based on what i've read - rugby was not good to me in college!  Those are the only issues I have - any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Well... You have to sign a release for them to get your records because of HIPPA. If you narrow the scope of that release to just appendectomy, they can't get any concussion information.

If you provide the appendectomy documents yourself, you will be able to ensure that you only get docs that talk about an appendectomy...

Use that information how you will 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, UPTapplicant2017 said:

I am about to go to MEPs for a reserve board coming up.  I have two concussions documented at a local hospital from when i was playing rugby in college - 1 was LOC 45 seconds. The other was because i had to get stitches and because they were on my head they tacked on a minor concussion even though i felt fine.  At the same hospital i had an appendectomy a couple of years later, no complications.  My recruiter told me to not mention the concussions (which I do not feel comfortable doing) and stated to not even bring the appendectomy medical documents to MEPs (I think they will request them when i get there no?)

If MEPs request the records from the appendectomy im assuming they'll be able to pull all the additional docs from that hospital which show the concussions am i wrong?  

I'm not confident I'll pass medical TBH feel like I'm SOL based on what i've read - rugby was not good to me in college!  Those are the only issues I have - any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

Feel free to PM me if you'd like. I'm not an expert on the matter, but I went through my FC1 with a concussion (LOC less than 2 minutes) and made it through the process. This was circa 2005 for the FC1 and the incident happened to me while I was in high school. Worked out for me and I passed just fine with zero issues (although I have a permanent waiver on file for the LOC). 

Edited by Truman08

• 1 year later...

The WP folks only know what you tell them. I would have kept it to my self unless they somehow got their hands on your records from 10 yrs ago... They are super helpful based on my experience there last year and will try to help to get  you in and out as fast as possible. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2019 at 9:10 AM, CharlieHotel47 said:

The WP folks only know what you tell them. I would have kept it to my self unless they somehow got their hands on your records from 10 yrs ago... They are super helpful based on my experience there last year and will try to help to get  you in and out as fast as possible. Good luck

What if you were a dependent on Tricare at the time of a concussion/treatment? I didn't lose consciousness, so it was relatively minor. I was under the impression that they can get anything if you were on Tricare at the time.  

On 7/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, ctf151 said:

What if you were a dependent on Tricare at the time of a concussion/treatment? I didn't lose consciousness, so it was relatively minor. I was under the impression that they can get anything if you were on Tricare at the time.  

my $0.02, the WP folks are not going to go out of their way to look at stuff in your records from 10 years ago. They only know what you tell them. 

On 7/20/2019 at 2:03 PM, ctf151 said:

Being on Tricare, but seeing a civilian provider will probably not show up in any records.  Seen on base, then it's in AHLTA and will be readily available.  I wouldn't sweat it.  A lot of people come through with history of concussions.  If it happened a year ago, then it might be a problem since I believe there is a mandatory wait time after concussion.  But eleven years ago, not so much to worry about.  You may get a MRI to make sure there was no permanent damage, but if that's normal I wouldn't expect any issue.