washout going back to UPT?

It’s been a long while since UPT, but there was a Capt type who washed out of T-38s who was in “Stars and Stripes” years ago who tried to get to the heavy side. I mean it was front page at the exchange on a rack. Turns out, no joy. I would think it’s definitely not an automatic assumption nor will it ever be based on what the criteria might have been to wash out. Either way, is this something new and if it is has it been going on for any substantial length of time? Never heard of it, but I haven’t heard a lot nor read the new/updated reg.

• Upvote 1

If waiverable, it will also depend on why you washed out, from a unit’s perspective for hiring purposes. Maybe they don’t care if you washed out for formation, but they likely will care if you washed out for instrument flying. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, gear3green said:

You washed out of 38s and they didn’t send you to toners? 

The Attempt was made but the Reserves did not agree. There is a memorandum of understanding on the AD side that allows them to send the T38 washouts to toners and track heavies. The AD chain sent this letter to Randolph in an attempt to have me re-track heavies like some of the other bros that washed out as well. Randolph's response was that this letter was AD only and it did not apply to them, quoting they did not have the resources. No joy for me on that front.

6 hours ago, badger23 said:

The Attempt was made but the Reserves did not agree. There is a memorandum of understanding on the AD side that allows them to send the T38 washouts to toners and track heavies. The AD chain sent this letter to Randolph in an attempt to have me re-track heavies like some of the other bros that washed out as well. Randolph's response was that this letter was AD only and it did not apply to them, quoting they did not have the resources. No joy for me on that front.

Yikes. That sounds like the 340th for me. Guard does the same thing as AD, so I don't know why the Reserves would be different.

8 hours ago, badger23 said:

Damm bro I’m sorry to hear that! That’s some bs!