Medical DQ (All "branch" topic)

HawkJ2010

So when talking to an AD Air Force Officer recruiter over the phone I found out I had a medical DQ and was not eligible to apply. However, my AFRes recruiter recently told me that I was indeed eligible if I were to fill out a waiver. I then called my AD recruiter back and he simply stated that "The Active Duty is ran completely different than the Reserves/Guard." So do all requirements vary (AFRes/ANG/AD)? Or did the AD recruiter just not want to go through the hassle of going through the waiver process? I'm guessing my best bet to find out about the ANG would be to call my local unit.

Thanks,

Hawk

Edited by HawkJ2010

I don't necessarily believe it's because the Reserves/Guard are run differently. At the end of the day, we all belong to Mother Blue, so the entry requirements are going to be the same.

However, my thoughts are that the AD recruiter doesn't want to deal with someone who is a possible in, when he can deal with someone who is a definite in, in the eyes of the AIr Force. Why go through all the trouble of recruiting you, and working for you, if in the end, he/she won't get any payoff from their efforts if your waiver is denied?

Shitty deal, but with today's economy, there are plenty of people to choose from that don't require a waiver.

You could always enlist and then apply to the OTS boards as soon as Tech School is complete. That would alleviate any potential "DQ's" for you, as you would have already had them documented at MEPS, and it wasn't an issue (unless it's something that would preclude you from passing an FCI at Wright-Patt).

"You could always enlist and then apply to the OTS boards as soon as Tech School is complete. That would alleviate any potential "DQ's" for you, as you would have already had them documented at MEPS, and it wasn't an issue (unless it's something that would preclude you from passing an FCI at Wright-Patt)."

Does the enlisted route have less potential DQ's than OTS?

So once you have your foot in the door as an enlisted you stand a better shot at moving up into an Officer position? Seems like that may be my only way at getting a crack at becoming an Officer.

You could always enlist and then apply to the OTS boards as soon as Tech School is complete. That would alleviate any potential "DQ's" for you, as you would have already had them documented at MEPS, and it wasn't an issue (unless it's something that would preclude you from passing an FCI at Wright-Patt).

Are you suggesting that an enlisted recruiter would be more willing to do the waiver than if he went to an officer recruiter? Might be the case, but the entrance into service standards I thought were the same.

Really what this comes down to is finding a recruiter that is willing to try and get you the waiver, regardless of if it is with the guard/reserves/active.

Be persistence. Call multiple recruiters and get opinions. Your local guard recruiters may be more willing to do it than an active duty recruiter, they typically have a better sense of "community" and might be willing to push a little extra for a local guy.

Edited by Kenny Powers

Reserve and Guard have different waiver authorities. There are different MANY different waiver standards. See the links in my signature block; read Attachment 2 in AFI 48-123 and review the Waiver Guide for your specific diagnosis. The AD recruiter isn't lazy, but he may not be totally familiar with the specific standard.