A Toast in Remembrance of the Fallen...

M2

US WWII veteran who captured Japan's Tojo dies; credited with keeping him alive to face trial

John J. Wilpers Jr., the last surviving member of the U.S. Army intelligence unit that captured former Japanese prime minister Hideki Tojo after World War II, has died at 93.

His son, John J. Wilpers III, told The Associated Press on Monday that his father died Thursday at an assisted living facility near his home in Garrett Park, Md.

The upstate New York native was part of a five-man unit ordered to arrest Tojo at his suburban Tokyo home on Sept. 11, 1945, nine days after Japan's surrender ended the war.

While the soldiers were outside, Tojo attempted to commit suicide by shooting himself in the chest. Wilpers ordered a Japanese doctor at gunpoint to treat Tojo until an American doctor arrived.

Tojo survived, was convicted of war crimes and was executed in December 1948.

:beer:

• 1 month later...

I sat across the table from him at my UPT graduation dinner. A very humble gentleman and an honor for me to have met him.

Wow. That is a unique experience.

Relish it.

Wow. That is a unique experience.

Relish it.

No doubt, really a unique experience. Two of the sim instructors for my MWS were aircrew on Operation Eagle Claw. Every time those guys would talk about that mission and the things they did I always thought it was really awesome and humbling to have been trained by and talked with some true AF legends.

From the Facebook page of Jerry Patterson, Texas Lieutenant Governor...

62845_518567044873952_1286003198_n.jpg

Today is the 71st anniversary of the Doolittle raid (www.doolittleraider.com) over Tokyo during World War II. Recently, I was honored to visit the Alamo with Col. Dick Cole (left) and Tech Sgt. L.D. Todd (right).

Col. Cole was Jimmy Doolittle's co-pilot on the lead B-25 over Tokyo in 1942, and L.D. Todd was an enlisted Army Air Corps pilot flying an unarmed liaison A/C over enemy lines during the battle of Okinawa in 1945. Truly, these are two heroes from the "Greatest Generation".

Seventy-one years ago today Lt. Col. Richard Cole was the co-pilot for General Doolittle on his famous raid over Japan. On Tuesday, at age 97 he flew a Mitchell bomber again.

Via the DAV Flight Team on Facebook: You may notice that Dick Cole is in the pilot seat of the B-25 "Panchito" during his flight with Larry Kelley and Syd Jones. He says he finally got a promotion from co-pilot!

"Oh yeah, he did most of the flying today. He did the landing. He's dead on," said Larry Kelley the B-25's owner.

post-1551-0-55908500-1366332427_thumb.jp

• Upvote 2

• 3 months later...

I'm thankful to have met Col Day early in my career. His story and career are the stuff of Air Force legend that may not be seen again for a long time. While this day has been coming for some time, this one hurts.

To Misty 1, a toast.

Edited by LeifEriksen
  • Upvote 2

He was a pretty damn impressive attorney as well.

I met Col Day as a young ROTC cadet, and his attitude and personality had a huge impact on my officership and subsequent airmanship. As always with men like this, I'm sad that they're gone, but more thankful that they lived.

• Upvote 3