A Toast in Remembrance of the Fallen...

M2

Hacker, thanks for posting that. I went through 3rd Lieutenant's program June or July 1984 with the AT-38's there. I know his name from somewhere, and am guessing this might be the place.

• Upvote 1

Ras is one of the "featured" LT's seen returning from his 100th North Vietnam F-105 mission in the USAF documentary "There is a Way".

I was looking for the Bat Bird in that video... I didn't see it.

But, Godspeed, Sir... May there always be hubcaps to steal!

Your life and your work has affected a lot of folks in a good way (a few N. Vietnamese notwithstanding!).

:beer:

Edited by Earle P

It's a miracle he made Major with that mustache.

Had he had the chance, what do you suppose he'd tell the Chief of Staff and TSgt Smith about banning songbooks?

Edited by Huggyu2
  • Upvote 1

I was looking for the Bat Bird in that video... I didn't see it.

But, Godspeed, Sir... May there always be hubcaps to steal!

Your life and your work has affected a lot of folks in a good way (a few N. Vietnamese notwithstanding!).

Great watch.

Anyone know where that 100 mission plaque ended up (around 3:15)?

ATIS

It's a miracle he made Major with that mustache.

Had he had the chance, what do you suppose he'd tell the Chief of Staff and TSgt Smith about banning songbooks?

I think the most important tribute any of us in the AF can make to men like Raz and of the AF's Vietnam warrior generation is to not allow the heritage they made (and which they carried on from the warriors who had gone before them) to die on the vine because of political correctness.

I have a collection of about 60 years' worth of USAF songbooks, going all the way back to Korea. Warriors singing obscene songs -- despite what some might have you believe to further their own agendas -- is most certainly not some kind of recently-manufactured-invented heritage. Turns out, when warriors came back from risking their pink butts in MiG alley and killing enemies to freedom, they liked to unwind by drinking, smoking, and singing off-color songs.

Edited by Hacker
  • Upvote 4

I read all of his books as a kid and re-read them as a Lt. They never got old. I was friends with him on Facebook and he eloquently posted when I made Captain that the Lt teflon "Usually it doesn't wear off, it gets chewed off by senior Captains." True words. As it was stated before, he was real down to earth and a true warrior. I'll be drinking in his honor.

Edited by Right Seat Driver

• 4 weeks later...