A Toast in Remembrance of the Fallen...

M2

Who would of thought that such a crowning achievement for the human race would become so far removed from the minds of policy makers around the world. It has become a pinnacle of our exploration, and not what it should of been: a first step. How long will we wait to even attempt another amazing feat? Thanks for the dreams Neil, it made the AF somewhat bearable.

Who would of thought that such a crowning achievement for the human race would become so far removed from the minds of policy makers around the world. It has become a pinnacle of our exploration, and not what it should of been: a first step. How long will we wait to even attempt another amazing feat? Thanks for the dreams Neil, it made the AF somewhat bearable.

IMO Neil stepping offf the ladder was the high point of the United States. Nothing before or since has matched that achievement.

IMO Neil stepping offf the ladder was the high point of the United States. Nothing before or since has matched that achievement.

Some pretty stiff competition. Definitely reminds all of us to consider what the country has achieved.

d02517.jpg

declaration-of-independence.jpg91301-004-68C32FE3.jpgamendment_19.gif

375px-Carte_Lewis-Clark_Expedition-en.png

4fed3368829c4.image.jpg

Exercise_Desert_Rock_I_(Buster-Jangle_Dog)_002.jpg

Neil-Armstrong-and-Edwin-Buzz-Aldrin.jpgemancipationproclamation.jpg

In order to toast this great American with Beers, I tip my hat to anther great American, the esteemed Senator from Wisconsin, John J. Blaine. Another great American achievement, or the undoing of a huge unamerican policy.

Cheers, Mr Neil Armstrong, and thanks for the unmeasurable inspiration you've given over your lifetime.

460px-21st_Amendment_Pg1of1_AC.jpg

(That's the 21st Amendment).

Arrivederci

Some pretty stiff competition. Definitely reminds all of us to consider what the country has achieved.

Exercise_Desert_Rock_I_(Buster-Jangle_Dog)_002.jpg

It's sad that when I see this picture, I don't think of the advancements in science and technology, or how WWII was greatly shortened, or even how fucking cool a mushroom cloud is. I think of the ridiculous amount of CBTs one would have to endure before seeing such a sight now days.

Neil was my boyhood hero. I was two years old in the summer of '69 and sat on my grandmother's lap on an Ohio farm and watched. I drew pictures of rockets and airplanes and astronauts.

I didn't have the gravitas to become an astronaut, but I served my country and I became a professional pilot. And a sort of amateur Apollo historian.

What we did in those few short years are the crowning achievement of our age. Long after Nixon, Woodstock, the Korean war and other pieces of twentieth century happenstance are consigned to the dustbin of time?

Young children will read about Neil Armstrong. And memorize the date of 16 July 1969.

Hard to see an important part of your childhood die.

What an amazing life he led.

... "Standing in the cramped cockpit, piloting with a control stick and toggle switch, he maneuvered past the crater while scanning the rugged moonscape for a place to safely put down.

"Although the world remembers him best for walking on the moon, Mr. Armstrong recalled his time on the surface as anticlimactic, “something we looked on as reasonably safe and predictable.”

Flying the LM was “by far the most difficult and challenging part” of the mission, he told a group of youngsters in a 2007 e-mail exchange. The “very high risk” descent was “extremely complex,” he wrote, and guiding the craft gave him a “feeling of elation.”

“Pilots take no particular joy in walking,” he once remarked. “Pilots like flying.” (take from this)

PHO-09Jul08-169686--606x404.jpg

I am hoping Rainman threw it in there to stir the pot...which he is one to do on occasion.

Unless it was meant to show America elected its first non-white president, which to some was a monumental shift in society. Not that it rivals achievements like walking on the moon and nuclear fusion/fission/fission-fusion-fission, but important nonetheless. But there is a bit in his post about women's suffrage, so it is likely he is not serious.

I raise my glass to Neil Armstrong for his accomplishments as an astronaut and a steward for the United States during and since the Apollo endeavor.

I raise my glass a bit higher to honor Neil Armstrong, for his 78 combat missions as a F9F Panther pilot flying off of Korea.

Collin

Edited by ATIS

No pot stirring. I didn't vote for Obama nor will I do so this time.

However, I would hope a person does not have to like Obama to recognize that he represents, to the entire planet, what is possible in this country...something rare and unique about the real opportunities one has as a US citizen. Something not found elsewhere.

I believe those are all examples of incredible milestones and achievements that demonstrate what is great about America.

Not looking to hijack this thread. Just looking to honor Neil Armstrong and put his achievement in perspective with a few examples I consider are some of the greatest things about this country.

However, I would hope a person does not have to like Obama to recognize that he represents, to the entire planet, what is possible in this country...something rare and unique about the real opportunities one has as a US citizen. Something not found elsewhere.

I believe those are all examples of incredible milestones and achievements that demonstrate what is great about America.

Not looking to hijack this thread. Just looking to honor Neil Armstrong and put his achievement in perspective with a few examples I consider are some of the greatest things about this country.

Not a rainman sycophant, but THIS.

Edited by LJDRVR

Agreed...but what's funny (actually sad) is that even now there is a large segment of the population that believes there are limitations on advancement due to the rich, banks, far right wing extremists, blah blah blah.

To me, having a President, who happens to be black, is not a far reach these days to the majority of the country--there have black politicians in every aspect (except President up until recently), black 4 Star Generals, black CEO's, etc. The percentage of people who vote purely on skin color is extremely low...and you can't fix stupid. I'm not saying it's not important to highlight the first time it happened, but again, it was (and will be again) bound to happen...same with a woman.

Now having someone walk on the moon, I don't think many people were saying 10-15 years prior that it was 'bound to happen'. A woman will get elected President someday I'm sure in my lifetime, and it won't take anything special to make it happen--it will just happen when it happens. To put a man on Mars, that will take some work and enginuity.

Now having someone walk on the moon, I don't think many people were saying 10-15 years prior that it was 'bound to happen'.

25 May, 1961.