Guard/Reserve KC-135 Ops Tempo?

I'm planning on applying to Guard and Reserve KC-135 units. Can somebody please let me know what the ops tempo is like for the Guard/Reserve -135's? Thanks.

So uh, you haven't even applied yet, gotten hired, or have an FC1 or dates for attending UPT, let alone caring about what the ops tempo is and realizing how fortunate you are to get picked up in the first place. Basically does anyone know what -135s are gonna be doing in 3-5 years after I jump through the endless amount of hoops that will allow you to show back up to a unit as a qualified -135 pilot. Ya, good luck with that.

I wish your balls were on fire so I could stomp it out.

You can be home or gone as much as you'd like. Requirements and opportunities will vary by unit, but from what I have seen the minimums are flying once a week and at least a couple of weeks TDY per year. Our maximum participators (i.e. guard bums) can fly 500+ hours per year and spend 200 days TDY per year. My 3 year average is 165 FWIW.

• 2 weeks later...

My 3 year average is 165 FWIW.

The real question is. Do you want to have that level of tempo as a Guard/Reserve guy? Is 165 days (I assume you meant days and not hours) higher, about right, or low of what you want.

I'm averaging about 110 days past two years with a full time civ job and I think it sucks. I'd like to cut that back to about 60 days per year. Hard to do when the Guard/Reserve brass insist on parity with AD so no way to cut down certs/quals to reduce the pain not to mention the non-flying BS we deal with. But I digress.

To the OP, tempo shouldn't get worse unless NK invades SK kind of event OR if the DoD budget keeps getting whacked to where we get whored out more than we already do (because we're the cheaper back-door draft option). Don't expect a regular paycheck after your orders end. Either whore yourself out to the squadron or get a civilian job. Either option might suck for you depending on where you live (in relation to your base local) and family situation (single dude or married with kids).

Bottom Line: Figure out why you want your wings. Never forget that reason cause one day you may say to yourself why am I trying to balance these things (mil, civ, fam, etc) and your answer shouldn't be because I want my 20. IMHO, that's not a reason to do this.

Hope that isn't too deep for ya (sts). I figured if you are asking about the Ops Tempo, then you have some concerns from a civ job or family perspective.

The real question is. Do you want to have that level of tempo as a Guard/Reserve guy? Is 165 days (I assume you meant days and not hours) higher, about right, or low of what you want.

I'm averaging about 110 days past two years with a full time civ job and I think it sucks. I'd like to cut that back to about 60 days per year. Hard to do when the Guard/Reserve brass insist on parity with AD so no way to cut down certs/quals to reduce the pain not to mention the non-flying BS we deal with. But I digress.

I had a civilian job for ~4 years after MQT and finally quit (took a 9 month salary buy-out, actually) in order to live the guard bum dream. So, I concur...being a pilot and TDY >100 days per year plus a civilian job has got to suck! I averaged around 50-60 when I was still at my civvie job, which wasn't bad...it was more the 70-80 hour weeks that wore me out. Now, I have less work, less hassle, and am much much happier now even though I am gone more. Of course, the thing about guard bumming is that it can't last forever...so currently waiting on an airline (or ten) to call. BL: I choose to be TDY as much as I am...and love it!

How many of those days are local flights? Or does that depend on how close you are to a range like Phx or Slc?

Well, in the tankers at my unit we usually fly up to the Volk range or maybe Hardwood (sts).

Edited by Bergman

• 2 years later...

I was recently hired by a KC-135 reserve unit and I was looking to see if there was any updates on ops tempo anyone would like to add considering the draw down in the 2 wars and all that is currently happening in the world.

What are the deployment opportunities currently available and how many hours are typically available to those looking to bum?

Also what is the outlook with respect to the future of the aircraft and the KC-46?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: grammarz

Edited by Red 5

Also what is the outlook with respect to the future of the aircraft and the KC-46?

Still gonna be plenty of -135s flying, long after the -46 is flying missions in appreciable numbers. It's not a 1-for-1 replacement.

• 1 year later...