Trident university TUI increasing tuition rates

ucf_motorcycle

If you don't like it don't read it. Obviously it is of interest to many people, that is why I started the thread.

Calm down, I wasn't talking to you.

There's nothing wrong with the original topic I get that people are interested. It is a bad deal if they raise fees and it is also a bad deal if they become a pain in the ass. It is also a bad deal if people lose an option to fill this stupid AAD square in the easiest possible way.

The reality for anyone in the military is this: any school that you can attend part time while being a full time officer in the military doesn't have a pedigree good enough for those jobs, regardless.

Guys who get wrapped up in the relative quality of their online degree are missing the bigger picture about what the name on your Masters really means to potential employers.

Fact. As an older guy who entered into the AF after working in economics in the private sector, I can tell you ANY degree has about a five year shelf life, period. No one cares what you did ten plus years ago as a Captain to earn an AAD. Times change, business moves forward. An MBA from Stern today is outdated tomorrow. For all the USAFA shiny pennies who went VFR direct to MIT, etc., guess what, when you get out, that technical degree isn't going to do much for you (assuming you're a pilot and not an engineer/acquisitions) in the way of getting you hired. What do you think your classmates have been doing while you were flying the Uncle's toys...? USING their education and gaining experience in their core competency.

AADs are worthless unless you want to attend TPS, or the AF sends you in-res to better prepare you for upcoming assignments/duty, or you're pursuing one for the SOLE purpose of promotion. IMHO, worrying about AADs and what "doors" they'll open for you in the future is like competing for first place at the Special Olympics.

• Upvote 1

Using your GI Bill for yourself while AD is the least effective way to use it (i.e. it's worth the least), but if you don't have any kids to give it to or don't want to use it after you get out, then go for it. I used mine for one class while active and then I crunched the numbers, realized I was retarded for doing that, and paid out of pocket the rest of the time.

I used my GI Bill to knock out classes for my Undergrad after I tapped out TA. Only reason was I had to have the degree complete before I entered OTS. Using it to cover the top end of classes doesn't pay (like selling back leave) unless there's some crunch time payoff.

Not sure how much you're paying. I'm doing a decent brick-and-mortar and it's coming to about $500 after TA for a semester. Shouldn't be too hard for an O type to figure. Save the GI Bill.

Scholar - I'll ask the question - what is your interest in being on this forum discussing TUI?

Admittedly, it sounds like you are a former employee who got let go and you have a bone to pick with the school, on this site collecting information to use against the school for personal means.

What ever your reason - it does not appear to be genuine and the nature of your posts and questions indicate an agenda you have not shared or made clear.

Perhaps I am wrong and you are just sharing information to help bros make an informed decision on where they spend their money and time working on an AAD.

e

Here is how I started my first post to this forum. Note the first sentence.

"I was interested to learn of the tuition increase at Trident University and joined this board specifically to let you know that the situation there is, in my opinion, possibly much worse than you might imagine. If what I write below is common knowledge or has been announced by the university then my apologies in advance but my understanding is that it is not known by students nor has it been announced publicly by the new management despite the fact that it has possibly serious implications for the nature of the educational model at Trident University International as well as the future of at least some of its programs and its future as an educational institution."

If what I write is of no interest to you please ignore any further post I might make. If you identify any inaccuracies in what I write please question or correct them. Beyond that feel free to draw whatever conclusions you like about me and have yourself a wonderful day.

I actually work a lot less than all my bros that are going through TUI. I can't count how many times those dudes have commented that they have 6-9 essays to do on any given weekend. No thanks.

I seriously doubt that, assuming your school is what you made it out to be. TUI is the least amount of work ever required of me for a program. 6-9 essays sounds bad, but when they're all 2-5 pages and high-school level writing gets you an A....yeah, not really the same as a "legit school." Anyone who seriously compares the workload to a "legit school" is either lazy, stupid or just likes to complain.

Edited by brabus

Anyone used the GI Bill while AD to get a Masters? I'm planning that and coupling it with every other free dollar I can scrounge and have many better schools than TUI that are doable.

Yes, I did for most of my MS. The 9/11 GI Bill had not yet come out for my first two classes so I used TA and my own money (since TA covered only part of the expense). After that, though, I was planning to get out of AD and didn't want to pay my TA back (due to unfulfilled ADSC), so I used just the 9/11 GI Bill thereafter and that covered the entire cost (except for books). Since I was planning to get out of AD the transfer of benefits to children was not something I wanted because of the extra ADSC. And I still have 22 months of benefits remaining on the GI Bill.

No hate, just bustin chops. Yankees suck, BTW.

Anyone who seriously compares the workload to a "legit school" is either lazy, stupid or just likes to complain.

Possibly all three?

• 4 months later...

How is the course load? Descently easy? Thanks for your time!

Cheers!

BL

Each course is broken into two-week blocks. In each block you typically have a threaded discussion topic you must participate in as well as a couple of two page essays. All "texts" are online, so no books to purchase. Overall not rocket science.

Each course is broken into two-week blocks. In each block you typically have a threaded discussion topic you must participate in as well as a couple of two page essays. All "texts" are online, so no books to purchase. Overall not rocket science.

Sweet, thanks for the input. Sounds like my kind of degree!

Cheers!

BL

I gave trident the middle finger a couple of months ago after they announced they were raising their tuition rates. Went ahead and transferred to Columbia Southern and couldn't be happier.

They are only "nationally accredited" which might put some folks off, but if you're just looking for a check the box masters, the coursework is very light and they match what TA pays.

Edited by drachen

Forgive my ignorance, but does that mean that Trident is internationally accredited? If so, and your choice between Online Masters Program X and Online Masters Program Y hinges on that fact, you're a douchebag.

Many universities will not accept your course work from nationally accredited schools. Some have a strong bias towards those types of schools. Red flags pop up because they want to make sure that you didn’t just go to a degree mill. I am talking about top graduate programs from good universities. If you ever decide to apply to a good graduate degree program you are better off not including the graduate work you completed from a questionable university.

You want the university to be regionally accredited. AMU for instance is currently regionally accredited even though it is similar to Trident. If you don’t have any plans on going back to graduate school later, the accreditation does really matter as long as the Air Force accepts it.

All major universities are regionally accredited.

ETA: I just looked it up and Trident is regionally accredited. They are on probation but I am sure they will get their shit together because losing that accreditation means losing millions of dollars. They are accredited by Western Association of Schools and Colleges which is the same organization that accredits Stanford University.

Edited by one

Ok, so I don't have to Google it, what's the difference between a regional accreditation and a national one ( referenced in the post before mine)?

Regional is more respected and is the norm around the country for good universities. Traditional universities are all regionally accredited. Nationally accredited schools usually are online schools, junior colleges, or vocational schools that are more of a business than a school. It is not as hard to get nationally accredited as it is to get regionally accredited.