Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

Our state is pushing dual qual, we would go to RPA's twice a month for a shift and get to fly jets as our primary job.  Mother AF has fought it, that being said, our WG/CC is already dual qualed.  I think that would release a lot of stress at least in our state.

Our state is pushing dual qual, we would go to RPA's twice a month for a shift and get to fly jets as our primary job.  Mother AF has fought it, that being said, our WG/CC is already dual qualed.  I think that would release a lot of stress at least in our state.

That makes too much sense.  Unfortunately, the AF cannot come to grips with the fact that it's quite possible to "fly" these things and be proficient, even if it's an additional duty.

Too smart for Big Blue but the Guard might be able to convince them that dual qual is not the droids they're looking for.  Heard an O-6 at my Guard unit make the case most Guard pilots are already dual qual'd (airline or corporate) so why not let bums who hustle for the AD retirement or just make a living out of the Guard not "fly" the MCEs and solve the RPA manning problem?  Seems legit but too cost effective / morale improving, hope your unit gets what it wants, sts...

That makes too much sense.  Unfortunately, the AF cannot come to grips with the fact that it's quite possible to "fly" these things and be proficient, even if it's an additional duty.

Until the person with a problem breaks down and admits the truth change is not possible, not that I know from experience or anything...

Why is that - just trying to prop up long term safety from BRAC?  I ask because, while it makes sense to do something like this to help the overall RPA problem, I'm surprised a squadron would actively seek RPAs when it already has a mission/aircraft.

Just left CSAF's talk at HMN.  The "big news" we were told to expect remains undelivered.  Apparently the plan is to add an at least one RPA wing somewhere that isn't Creech at some undetermined point in the future.  No specifics.

So there was no point to his visit? Copy.

Just left CSAF's talk at HMN.  The "big news" we were told to expect remains undelivered.  Apparently the plan is to add an at least one RPA wing somewhere that isn't Creech at some undetermined point in the future.  No specifics.

One wing?  I'm not sure that's going to fix it, boss.

I'm imagining three additional wings plus a half dozen TFI associate squadrons at guard bases.  That might get us to the point where this fusion reactor keeps itself lit.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.latimes.com/world/europe/la-fg-drone-contractor-20151127-story.html

Air Force hires civilian drone pilots for combat patrols; critics question legality

The little-known Aviation Unmanned was founded by a former Reaper pilot and instructor, and it provides aircraft, training and operations in support of commercial and government contracts, according to its website.

U.S.A. - Land of opportunity

:beer::beer::beer:

Edited to add:  This is why I love this country.

Edited by panchbarnes

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.latimes.com/world/middleeast/la-fg-drone-pilots-20151210-story.html

"The Air Force wants to add 75 Reapers to the current fleet of 175 Reapers and 150 Predators. It also would increase the number of flying squadrons from eight to as many as 17, and add up to 3,500 new pilots, sensor operators and other personnel.

Officials said they anticipate sending most of the new drone pilots and crews to bases across the country.

Those considered most likely include Beale Air Force Base near Sacramento, Davis-Monthan Air Force Base near Tucson, Joint Base Pearl Harbor – Hickam near Honolulu, and Langley Air Force Base near Newport News, Va."

I have a feeling this is being pushed out to help close the huge hole at the bottom of the barrel today - 2% retention.

These new locations and additional personnel will take longer than 5 years to open up. By then most of us flying the line will be gone from active duty so this announcement isn't for us, and it doesn't change my mind to separate one bit. What would change my mind would be to get me back to a cockpit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Jaded said:

2 percent is hyperbole, correct? 

Retention is bad now, bad enough for the CSAF to publicly admit his shit is in the street.  We will have a better picture on the problem by late 2018 when the 18Xers start hitting the end of their ADSCs in large numbers.  The data point to watch for will be dudes with approximately 7 years service.   These are your dudes who joined up to specifically fly RPAs.  If Big Blue can't retain them, the RPA enterprise is officially fucked.   Surveys indicate we should expect retention somewhere in the neighborhood of 30%.  On the plus side, there should be lucrative  opportunities for contractors for the foreseeable future.  On the Active Duty side of the house I expect this problem will get worse before it gets even worse.

• Upvote 1

2 percent is hyperbole, correct? 

2% retention is what I've heard stated for Sensor Operator retention in my squadron specifically. Nobody knows about the 18Xers as GPF states, but I heard the first 3 that hit their commitment this year punched. None of the 18Xers in my squadron plan to remain on active duty in RPAs, they are looking for other options like outside jobs or going to UPT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh good where exactly where are we going to get the 3500+ personnel? We just spent the last two years kicking out people, specifically pilots. I'm sure we'll just continue to pillage other MWS's which are already short staffed.