Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

I think if they put active duty MCE squadrons at DM, Herbie, and San Antonio the retention problem would fix itself even with the shift work grind.

Plenty of comments like this heard at Creech when I left in '09. Nothing has changed, and no one is willing to fork out the money to move MCE anywhere. When Admiral Mullen came to visit and the question was asked, we were told it was an OPSEC issue.

Right...

Edited by 2xAGM114

Do people really hate living in Vegas that much?

Vegas wasn't the issue.

The issue for most then was being told "3 years and you're back to your MDS/MWS", then "3 years plus the FTU time", then "we really have no idea when you can leave due to the SURGE Ver 4", then "we're going to let TAMI and UPT Direct guys leave first because they've never really flown", to finally "You can't ever leave unless it's to another RPA base. We're really sorry. Here's an aerial achievement medal. And PCS orders to Holloman."

Edited by 2xAGM114
  • Upvote 2

"You can't ever leave unless it's to another RPA base. We're really sorry. Here's an aerial achievement medal. And PCS orders to Holloman."

That is ing awful if that's true. This kind of crap is why AFA cadets are starting to look away from pilot slots. That and they hung a damn pred from Mitch's ceiling.

That is fucking awful if that's true. This kind of crap is why AFA cadets are starting to look away from pilot slots. That and they hung a damn pred from Mitch's ceiling.

I know some of our new Lt's (from all commissioning sources) chose this because the ADSC is 6 years and not 10. The jury is out on the 18X experiment until the first batch hits the end of their ADSCs.

Vegas wasn't the issue.

The issue for most then was being told "3 years and you're back to your MDS/MWS", then "3 years plus the FTU time", then "we really have no idea when you can leave due to the SURGE Ver 4", then "we're going to let TAMI and UPT Direct guys leave first because they've never really flown", to finally "You can't ever leave unless it's to another RPA base. We're really sorry. Here's an aerial achievement medal. And PCS orders to Holloman."

with the shortage in IPs right now i have no idea why they would do that and not utilized a guy who knows how to fly?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/28/emotional-toll-taxes-military-drone-operators-too/?page=1

"Emotional toll taxes military drone operators too"

“It can be as impactful for these guys as someone in a foxhole,” said Air Force spokesman Tom Kimball.

I get there are a lot of psycological impacts from this but I don't see connection between that and a guy in a fox hole who could be killed at any minute.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/28/emotional-toll-taxes-military-drone-operators-too/?page=1

"Emotional toll taxes military drone operators too"

“It can be as impactful for these guys as someone in a foxhole,” said Air Force spokesman Tom Kimball.

I get there are a lot of psycological impacts from this but I don't see connection between that and a guy in a fox hole who could be killed at any minute.

It always pissed me off reading this crap. I spent three and a half years doing this mission. Never met anyone that had issues. Just makes us look like a bunch of senstive pussies. Unless your ass is getting shot at, STFU. And if you can't handle drones, GTFO.

• Upvote 1

That's exactly what everyone is doing.

LOL. Welllll, I was talking about the people who can't handle drones because of the emotional impact of the mission.

As far as people who hated the drone mission getting out, good for them. It was a rotten deal for a bunch of folks, glad to see a lot of them flying manned a/c now.

It always pissed me off reading this crap. I spent three and a half years doing this mission. Never met anyone that had issues. Just makes us look like a bunch of senstive pussies. Unless your ass is getting shot at, STFU. And if you can't handle drones, GTFO.

Same.

The "Psycological Wounds" are more likely due to not getting a Viper on assignment night or not getting a DP at their previous base.

Yep, shift work sucks.

Clovis sucks.

Got it.

Press.

Same.

The "Psycological Wounds" are more likely due to not getting a Viper on assignment night or not getting a DP at their previous base.

Yep, shift work sucks.

Clovis sucks.

Got it.

Press.

^ This.

This thread is the dumping ground for gripes against RPA assignments and I get that, it's valid. Every community has it's things, the viper guys bitched when they were in Clovis and breathed a sigh of relief when the BRAC gave it to AFSOC. Guys at Creech live In North Vegas and don't like the commute, guys from the Midwest don't like Hickam because they get island fever, guys that got

C-17's don't like Charleston because they wanted an Eagle....

Either the juice is worth the squeeze, or it isn't.

Edited by Rmarsh

Bitching about flying your fighter or heavy in a shit location is nothing like getting stuck in a shipping container on shift work in a shit location. I've seen both up close and the hate/discontent is not comparable.

So have I, I'm not just saying "suck it up", with no perspective on the subject.