Drone Pilots: We Don’t Get No Respect

copy, of all the choices of places to go in Vegas, Nellis guys like to hang out in the club. Sounds about right.

Well, not everyone...

My point was only this - the UPT grads they are getting by and far are not "the best & brightest", but are frequently the bottom of their class. That is unfortunately a fact that anyone who has spent time on a UPT base in the last 4 years can attest to.

This is not a FACT at any base that had T-38s. Those dudes rolled the dice on a chance to fly a fighter/bomber and missed, so they got an RPA. All the T-38 RPA guys I have met, worked with, etc. are all sharp top notch professionals. Some with a few quirks here or there.

It could very well have been a fact at Corpus Christi while it was running, and if you were at Corpus I will take your word for it. Coupled with the fact that I haven't met a Corpus UPT direct guy YET that didn't have a serious flaw as either an officer, pilot, or person in general.

T-1 guys you have a spread. There were a very small handful that volunteered for RPAs and they are across the spectrum, and there are also some people who should have never finished pilot training but got pushed through just to take RPA slots. Then you have a handful of late bloomers as well.

This has generally been my experience, but I am sure there are outliers for all of the above categories.

Pretending that UAVs are home to only the best & brightest is horse shit though, and I don't know what purpose that serves.

Valid, but every community has their D Bags. Which leads me to this question how are you in a position to judge the quality of the students currently going through Holloman? I think you would be greatly surprised by the officership, airmanship, and overall potential of some of the UPT direct RPA folks. Yet you lump them all into the category of NOT the best and brightest. Continually disparaging the community is no way for it to attract the best and brightest to its mission and future. I think a fair statement would be we have SOME of the best and brightest, but we need a lot more.

My point in all this isn't to change your mind. It is to bring a balance that young dudes who might be reading this forum weighing their options need to consider. RPAs aren't the be all end all. However, they are a growth industry for the Air Force, and that isn't going to go away any time soon.

I think part of the story in that link got cut off. Here's another link.

"In a recent survey, the Air Force asked 500 airmen who started out as pilots but had been shifted to drones if they would like to stay on in the unmanned aircraft field. There were 412 volunteers."

I think that is a LIE! What I understand is, it is very unusual to see someone stay a day longer than required.

Do I have bad gouge?

There are actually alot of guys I work with who enjoy this. It's usually the "tip of the spear" crowd, or the guys who never really like flying to begin with. There is also a vocal group of us who are bored stiff with this job. Nobody can argue the quality of your home life here, but the "flying" doesn't quite live up to what the regular Air Force is used to. You're right though, there's plenty of dudes who want to stay in this community.

I wonder if the question was worded: "would you volunteer to stay in this community if it had better career and promotion opportunity?"

I really doubt it was as clear cut as: "which would you rather do? Fly manned aircraft for fly 'drones'? Circle one!"

I am not doubting there is some great satisfaction in that job...it absolutely makes huge contributions in this war. But, but I have a hard time believing those statistics, given the opportunity to fly manned aircraft or 'drones,' that 80% would select the latter...

"In a recent survey, the Air Force asked 500 airmen who started out as pilots but had been shifted to drones if they would like to stay on in the unmanned aircraft field. There were 412 volunteers."

I think that is a LIE! What I understand is, it is very unusual to see someone stay a day longer than required.

Do I have bad gouge?

I would REALLY like to see the qualification of that survey. Either they are stretching a question, or simply misinterpreting the results. That is certainly not inline with my observations at KINS.

• 4 weeks later...

That cartoonist has his head up his ass. What they don't show on the "traditional war" side is a soldier coming back with his legs missing (or in a flag covered coffin), the multiple divorces caused by endless deployments, or anything about being a POW. I find it amazing the number of self righteous assholes who can criticize the way we now wage war, yet would never consider joining the military.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a RPA I think those on this board would support...:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=69f_1304308604

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak....?f=9e11942f0f50" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: Can someone tell me how to embed on here...??

Edited by Jughead

A left wing European newspaper opposes US foreign policy ... say it ain't so.

Posted more for some of the interesting content than just the source. I personally can't stand the guardian since they are pretty far to the left and have been guilty of falsifying news reporting. That doesn't mean, however, that they are excluded from influencing public opinion.