Memorial Rock Painted Over in Livingston County

Toro

Memorial Rock Painted Over in Livingston County

Excerpt

Sergeant Devin Snyder was killed last June by a roadside bomb while serving with the United States Army in Afghanistan. Her death touched the communities of Wayland and Cohocton, where she was a standout high school athlete.

Following her death, some of Devin's friends painted a rock in her memory along Interstate 390 that included a portrait of Devin.

Earlier this week, it's believed members of the Kappa Sigma Epsilon fraternity from Alfred State College repainted the rock black with the fraternity's logo.

Supposedly the school has "launched an investigation" into these asshats, but feel free to drop a line to the school president on how you feel it should be handled: presidentsoffice@alfredstate.edu Phone: (607) 587-4010

"To: Sgt. Devin A Snyder and her family; community members; Alfred State College

"From the active brothers of Kappa Sigma Epsilon Fraternity, we are deeply sorry. In a brief moment of self-gratification, we thought of no one else but ourselves, and for that we were wrong. Our actions and lack of empathy have caused the family of Sgt. Devin A Snyder (A fallen solider from Cohocton, NY) additional unnecessary grief, as well as the local communities and Alfred State College. We take full responsibility for our actions and we will do what we can to right the wrong, and return a sense of appreciation back to Sgt. Devin Snyder’s name and family.

As an organization with alumni that represent active and retired veterans in all branches of the United States military service, our actions have dishonored all of their sacrifices and the memory of Sgt. Devin A Snyder. We are sorry to have jeopardized our evolving reputation among our community, our school and our peers."

Our deepest apologies,

The active brothers of Kappa Sigma Epsilon"

Kids do dumb crap all of the time. The difference here seems that this group is owning up to their mistake. Let's hope they follow through and do the right thing.

• Upvote 2

Guest Grind

That's a pretty weak response. Shut that faggot frat down. These aren't kids, these are college students, they should know better.

Every single one of those pricks should have to pack their bags and do a rotation over in AFG. Assholes

Edited by Grind

That's a pretty weak response. Shut that faggot frat down. These aren't kids, these are college students, they should know better.

Every single one of those pricks should have to pack their bags and do a rotation over in AFG. Assholes

Dude, check your fire. These dudes took full responsibility and apologized right away. Sure, they need to follow up their words with actions and should have to suffer some kind of punishment, but calling them faggots, shutting down their chapter, sending them to Afg as some kind of punishment for painting over a rock? Looks like you're the one who needs to grow up...

• Upvote 5

Guest Grind

A two paragraph response? Please. Maybe they should repaint it the way it was before they defaced it.

How would you feel if that was the memorial to your sister? I would be pretty lit.

The Mayans must on to something regarding the end of the world -- I agree with nsplayer on something.

Stupid, mostly likely hammered, college students doing something selfish and not thinking about what they were doing.

I'm shocked.

Other than poor taste and not having a clue, what crime did they perform? They painted a rock that is often painted.

The Sgt's volunteering to serve and, unfortunately, her ultimate sacrifice is obviously worth more than earning frat cool points, but they expressed themselves.

I rather think that's one of the liberties that military service upholds.

And this frat recognized they fcuked up and publicly apologized. That's better than some of those in our government have done when denigrating our military folks. Murtha, et al.

• Upvote 1

I think that chapter needs to raise some money for Snyder's family, repaint the rock, and do some community service for some disabled veterans.

They definitely need to repaint the rock. I'm not sure how money makes up for their insult other than being expedient, but serving those who served the nation (i.e. community service for some DVs) would go a long way in showing their contriteness.

• Upvote 1

Watch the video, guys, the rock's already been repainted although her portrait on it still needs to be added.

As for the apology, I too have to agree with nsplayr (so yes, the world will end this year!). It was a stupid move on the frat's part but they did own up to it and are trying to fix things. They're stupid college kids, and anyone who didn't do dumb shit while they were in school really missed the whole point of college!

Toro's got it right, give them the opportunity to prove their really sorry for their mistake, let them have a chance to make up for it, and press on.

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

Be a man, own up to your shit, and make amends. That's what they did. While it pisses me off that they did it, they admitted to it right away, which most people would not do. I'd have a dick as long as KMIB RWY 29 if I got an inch for every time I did something stupid...even some really bad ones. Best thing I ever did was when I admitted to them, made things a lot smoother. Hiding it like a little bitch makes it even worse.

Edited by b52gator

I'd have a dick as long as KMIB RWY 29 if I got an inch for every time I did something stupid...

You come up with that one on your own?