Strike Eagle Extreme; 69 F-15Es take to sky

Cap-10

Serious question: Why?

"This F-15E Strike package and Turkey Shoot honored the excellence and sacrifices of our Wing's past while 'flexing' 4th FW airpower today, sharpening our warfighting spirit and skills as we look toward the future," said Col. Patrick Doherty, 4th FW commander.

Toward the end of WWII the greatest challenge in Europe for the 8th Air Force was destroying a Luftwaffe that refused to take to the air. One of the 4th FG's most notorious missions during WWII was also its final major mission. The group's Airmen were tasked to take out the Luftwaffe or German Air Force. In two airfield attacks the group's aviators destroyed 105 enemy aircraft April 16, 1945.

During World War II competition began between the 4th and 56th Fighter Groups to see what unit could destroy the most enemy aircraft. The 4th FG finished the war with 1,016 aircraft destroyed and the 56th FG's final tally was 1,006. While supporting the war effort the 4th FG destroyed more enemy aircraft than any group or wing in Air Force history.

Today's plan was to destroy at least 1,016 DPI's/red air with 69+1 F-15E's.

"In related news on Seymour Johnson AFB, the members of the 4FW CGOC conducted their own "Elephant Walk and Turkey Shoot" as all five of them marched on over to the Base Bowling Alley to share comraderie, Turkey Club sandwiches, and an informative leadership lecture on MyDP. "It was a real team-building experience for everyone involved in the CGOC Turkey Shoot" quoted 1 Lt James "Jim" McShoe, the council VP. "And we only had to shut down 4 support offices to make it happen! The flyers were all flying anyway, so they didn't need to fill a voucher or anything."

• Upvote 6

Getting ready for hurricane evacuation season. I hope they have enough for next days go's.

Edited by Prosuper

"This F-15E Strike package and Turkey Shoot honored the excellence and sacrifices of our Wing's past while 'flexing' 4th FW airpower today, sharpening our warfighting spirit and skills as we look toward the future," said Col. Patrick Doherty, 4th FW commander.

Toward the end of WWII the greatest challenge in Europe for the 8th Air Force was destroying a Luftwaffe that refused to take to the air. One of the 4th FG's most notorious missions during WWII was also its final major mission. The group's Airmen were tasked to take out the Luftwaffe or German Air Force. In two airfield attacks the group's aviators destroyed 105 enemy aircraft April 16, 1945.

During World War II competition began between the 4th and 56th Fighter Groups to see what unit could destroy the most enemy aircraft. The 4th FG finished the war with 1,016 aircraft destroyed and the 56th FG's final tally was 1,006. While supporting the war effort the 4th FG destroyed more enemy aircraft than any group or wing in Air Force history.

Today's plan was to destroy at least 1,016 DPI's/red air with 69+1 F-15E's.

Yeah, I read the article. Sure, it is cool to flex our muscles and do something awesome, but it just seemed like a big PR stunt by the Wing CC. I don't know the guy, I'm simply judging by the press release and a video I saw. Am I just jaded and have seen too many Wing CCs coming up with good ideas to put on their OPR w/ "largest," "best ever," and "first?"

Getting ready for hurricane evacuation season. I hope they have enough for next days go's.

######ing hurricanes.

Yeah, I read the article. Sure, it is cool to flex our muscles and do something awesome, but it just seemed like a big PR stunt by the Wing CC. I don't know the guy, I'm simply judging by the press release and a video I saw. Am I just jaded and have seen too many Wing CCs coming up with good ideas to put on their OPR w/ "largest," "best ever," and "first?"

You're right to be suspicious.

Edited by Muscle2002

Hopefully it was something cooler, like the Ops Group CC betting the Mx Group CC he couldn't give him 69 jets at once, and then shit got real.

• Upvote 3

Serious question: Why?

Why the fuck not? It's the Air Force flying some badass planes doing badass things. Fucking be happy about it. I am.

Incase anyone bitches about cost, despite the entertaining details ("nearly 70 aircraft") there was some serious training accomplished. Why not in such a bitchin fashion? Basically I'm saying if you object to this, fuck off.

Edited by FlyingBull

Yes and No...

You are right about the WG/CC piece (he's not liked by most in the OG and I am in no way defending him)....everyone scoffed at the idea (including me), especially the picture and figured it was going to be a clown show (there were a at least one round assessed by the WG/CC in jet #1 to a Flight Lead from one of the Ops squaron for screwing up the taxi plan).

However, when the WG/CC give you lemons, you expect the Wing Patch to make some sh!t hot lemonade, and as I would expect from any Patch worth their salt, they delivered!

From the Ops side, we flew two 30 minute vul's of oppossd SAT with blue and red suppplied by both Ops and FTU squadrons (plus GCI) and accomplished Mission Commander updrades....there was a 2-ship from each squadron that flew CAS with STS JTAC's from Pope (also accomplishing their qual's before going down range)...a 2-ship from each squadron flew un-oppossed SAT via low level (VR-87) with off-range attacks....finally a 4 ship from each squadron with 6x BDU-50's flew BSA at the range but had to plan attacks that weren't in the aircrew aid....they flew 15/25/35 degree attacks.

Wing Weapons cames (STS) up with point criteria with awards for best Pilot/WSO in each mission set: SAT had TOT, number of targets destroyed, points lost for getting shot down by Red,etc...Low level guys had TOT and judged against their release parameters compared to their plan...same for the BSA guys....CAS players had points for quickest time from 9-line to impact, etc.

Every aircraft regardless of primary mission had an SDB target attack during RTB...had to designate and transfer all DPI's off the HRM...points awarded for accuracy of designations as well as speed....fastest time from first designation to hitting the pickle button....I will tell you it takes a LONG time to designate/transfer 20 DPI's!

In the end, whatever the WG/CC's true intentions were, the Ops Group made the best out of the situation and got some awesome training and upgrades amongst all 4 squadrons!

Cheers,

Cap-10

Nice, sounds like some awesome training. I was just hoping that getting all 69 aircraft off the ground wasn't the high point of the day. I've seen OREs get lots of aircraft off the ground...with no weapons onboard and little training accomplished once the aircraft launched. It doesn't look like that was the case here.

...In the end, whatever the WG/CC's true intentions were, the Ops Group made the best out of the situation and got some awesome training and upgrades amongst all 4 squadrons!

My mind was just blown thinking about what it must be like to be at a wing that actually can produce that number of sorties...please have your MX call our MX. Sounds like an awesome day of flying and killing...well done.

• Upvote 1

My mind was just blown thinking about what it must be like to be at a wing that actually can produce that number of sorties

True dat. This was an enormous feat for MX. They must have worked their tails off to make that happen. Good on 'em. They should be basking in the glory of that mission.

• Upvote 2