Incentive Rides for AFROTC Cadets

However, I'd definitely be willing to travel a ways for an opportunity to get a ride (maybe to Nellis or something?).

Nellis is a great call.

The USAF Arial Demonstration Squadron is tasked to provide incentive rides for ROTC cadets. They give rides most days on a space available basis so you can't call and make a reservation but if you show up between 0700-0800 you should be able to get a ride.

Good luck.

Hi. I have read other information about incentive/orientation rides on this site and elsewhere, but I'm rather confused by the varying answers. I'm definitely interested in getting an incentive ride through Air Force ROTC (who wouldn't be?), but I'm confused how, or even if, this is possible. Some people seem to say it's as easy as calling a base that has fighters and scheduling rides, while others say that you need to get papers signed and that you have to be very lucky and at the right place at the right time.

So, my question is this: is it possible for me to get an incentive ride (not surprisingly, I'd really love to get one in a fighter, but I probably shouldn't be picky) through Air Force ROTC, and if so, how would I go about it? I live in California, and the only fighter wing of which I'm aware that's in CA is the ANG unit based out of Fresno, and they only have F-16Cs. However, I'd definitely be willing to travel a ways for an opportunity to get a ride (maybe to Nellis or something?).

Thank you very much in advance!

Yes, it is possible. However, unless your detachment already has a system in place for getting incentive rides, I wouldn't call a squadron directly. You're a cadet.

Some people seem to say it's as easy as calling a base that has fighters and scheduling rides

Since you seem to have trouble telling if someone is screwing with you, here's a protip: Someone is always screwing with you. (I don't blame you, I blame California).

The only way to get a ride through ROTC is through the detachment, and that's only going to happen if you've been there for 3 or 4 years. If you get lucky, they'll go on a base visit or something and some slots will be available. Our det went to Whiteman this year and some of the pilot-selects got T-38 rides. That's a rare occurrence though, gas is expensive and cadets aren't worth it.

So don't do ROTC for the incentive rides. That shit's for non-flyers anyway, I can wait my turn.

Drive to your closest municipal airport and they will let you dick around in the sky for an hour. It will cost you around $170. If you tell them you are in ROTC, they might shave some money off. Going this route, you actually get to fly the majority of the time and you are not bothering any AD pilots.

When was in ROTC I was able to set up an incentive ride on a KC-135. I know it sounds boring, but they were up in order to gas up some F-22s. Pretty rad.

The trick was to ask my cadre if it was cool if I set it up, and also to tell them that everyone had the opportunity to go on the ride.

Well, I suppose this means I should start preparing myself to get ripped apart

Gross.

This isn't prison and you're perfectly safe from that...unless you're trying to get a ride in an Eagle.

My reasoning for posting this was not because I hadn't read the other similar topics, it was because it seemed as though a lot of the answers were conflicting with each other and that a clear conclusion was never reached. I'm just trying to explain myself. However, I apologize then. I guess I'm still not used to the rules of forum posting.

it's cool man, masshole feels entitled to fvck with you even though she is like one AS class ahead of you.

But anyway our det had some awesome luck with rides. We never asked though. Our cadre set all of them up. It was timing and luck. Some cadets got herc and tanker rides and a few dudes got fighter rides. But for fighters they were upperclassman and had a chamber card, flight physical, and TS. They also had to do some traveling on their own dime. Work with your cadre to set something up for the whole det, I wouldn't go about setting it up by yourself.

Gross.

This isn't prison and you're perfectly safe from that...unless you're trying to get a ride in an Eagle.

i got a ride in an eagle :/

Edited by rico

You should have used the search function. Toro hates that and might be less willing to help with your incentive ride.

Google works great also or the AF E-publishing website. Second "Pro tip" the AF publishes all this stuff, third "pro tip" most if not all AFROTC regulations start with AFROTCI 36-XXXX.

The reg you are looking for is AFROTCI 36-2010

13.2 Authorization for Orientation Flights.

13.2.1. The detachment commander is the designated authority to approve orientation flights for cadets, applicants, and institutional officials IAW AFI 11-401, Aviation Management, Table 1.1, line 14 and the AETC Supplement to AFI 11-401, paragraph 1.9.4.7.1.6.3. NOTE: Cadets under legal age (18 years in most states) require parental approval in writing.

Now I do know some buddies who called a squadron who they had heard gives incentive rides for a donation to the squadron bar, got their availability and then went to the Det/CC. Technique only, I don't know your Det/CC so that's your call.

Guest Grind

FWIW, you can do plenty of "incentive rides" jumping out of airplanes at airborne school and rappelling from blackhawks in air assault school in AROTC... Just sayin...

Google works great also or the AF E-publishing website. Second "Pro tip" the AF publishes all this stuff, third "pro tip" most if not all AFROTC regulations start with AFROTCI 36-XXXX.

The reg you are looking for is AFROTCI 36-2010

13.2 Authorization for Orientation Flights.

13.2.1. The detachment commander is the designated authority to approve orientation flights for cadets, applicants, and institutional officials IAW AFI 11-401, Aviation Management, Table 1.1, line 14 and the AETC Supplement to AFI 11-401, paragraph 1.9.4.7.1.6.3. NOTE: Cadets under legal age (18 years in most states) require parental approval in writing.

Now I do know some buddies who called a squadron who they had heard gives incentive rides for a donation to the squadron bar, got their availability and then went to the Det/CC. Technique only, I don't know your Det/CC so that's your call.

Now to add even more confusion.

Orientation flights are different than incentive flights.

Orientation flight = an hour or so in a CAP 172/182 with a CAP instructor - You're only limited to 4 hours I think. At least it's how it was at my Det.

Incintive flight = military aircraft

Edited by spudsmac

Orientation flight = an hour or so in a CAP 172/182 with a CAP instructor - You're only limited to 4 hours I think. At least it's how it was at my Det.

False

Under AFI 11-401 table 1.1, cadets are eligible for "Orientation Familiarization Flights".

"Incentive Orientation Flights" are open to "USAF active-duty and ARC military members"

1.9.4.7.1.2. Familiarization Flights. Familiarize individuals who normally have

aviation-related responsibilities with USAF aircraft and missions.

1.9.4.7.1.3. Incentive Flights. Provide a visible reward to USAF active duty and

Air Reserve Component military personnel for outstanding service and motivate

other military personnel to similar performance levels.

Looking up a reg I don't care about made me thirsty, time for a :beer: .

The reg. is not written well, because if you read the next two paragraphs it starts talking about CAP, but Wolf pointed out, the AFI clarifies the what "orientation" means in this case.

1. Get a chamber card

2. Get your Det/cc to sign an MFR stating you are authorized a Fam flight

3. Key word fam, not incentive. This means you can more or less jump in an open backseat that's available presuming you have the pre-reqs completed (flt doc clears you, have someone teach you egress and life support has you fitted up with gear) and it works for whatever mission that jet is flying that day

An incentive ride means a flight scheduled specifically for you...do not consider this an option, as it's meant for that dude busting his ass on the line day in and day out for years on end, not some cadet.

4. Bring copious amount of beer and Jack to pay off individuals helping you out

5. You may end up getting multiple rides in a week trip (for example) or you may get none...don't bitch regardless of what happens and be glad you even have a chance

This avenue pretty much leaves your options to an AETC base (i.e. FTU or UPT/IFF).

Edited by brabus

This avenue pretty much leaves your options to an AETC base (i.e. FTU or UPT/IFF).

Like Brabus stated, you'd have a better shot at an FTU/UPT/IFF. In my prior life as an ARMS guy at the 149th in San Antonio, I processed a ton of AFA cadets for Fam flights when they were on breaks throughout the year (Spring Break, X-mas, Summer, etc.) Don't know what they have going to get that set up, but just know that it is possible.

Don't make this so complicated.

Just go to Nellis and show up at the USAF Arial Demonstration Squadron between 0700-0800 and you'll get as many rides as you want. It is what they are supposed to do.

Just go to Nellis and show up at the USAF Arial Demonstration Squadron between 0700-0800 and you'll get as many rides as you want. It is what they are supposed to do.

I heard they'll even let you fly in the front seat since they're all IPs, and all that costs is an extra six pack of Zima. What a deal!

When you say "week trip," do you mean a scheduled base visit via my detachment, or travelling somewhere to visit on my own? If that latter, how would I go about scheduling this?

I mean you set it up yourself. You can probably trying calling the OSS scheduling office and talk to one of the NCOs there that deal with the incentive/fam program, but once again, they don't owe you shit. Be polite, ask the question of what week is best for THEM, what can you do to make the process easy for them (i.e. maybe you can call and set up doc appt, egress, etc. so they don't have to), etc. Again, beer or something they like for their troubles is absolutely warranted. Since you're in CA, either Luke or Klamath (no experience with them) may be the best bet for a fighter ride. If you want to get a -135 ride, the Phoenix dudes are pretty willing to do so as time/schedule allows. UPT/IFF would work the same way, but that's of course a farther travel for you.

I heard they'll even let you fly in the front seat since they're all IPs, and all that costs is an extra six pack of Zima. What a deal!

Zima. Classic.