Pilot Life

CuryOsity

I am a fighter pilot, and no amount of mind-numbing queep, bullshit, or organizational ineptitude can take that identity away from me.

I wonder what Porkchop, TAMInated, or the others sent on a one-way trip to UAVs think about this.

• Upvote 1

No amount of internet message board nerdery can absolve you from a decision YOU have to make.

Thank you, I had no idea that I had to make this decision.

I've had a post about this very idea percolating for a couple of weeks. What's the ######ing deal with so many random people seeking advice/validation/ego stroke/whatever from a bunch of strangers on the Internet? I get asking people you trust, but if you just throw it out to the masses you're going to get 50 different opinions.

First of all, I am well aware that I am going to be getting people's opinions, which I posted in the very first post of this thread. Secondly, as for asking people I trust, I trust my father more than a stranger but guess what, my dad is not a damn pilot so I'm really not concerned with his idea of what the career is like. If I'm interested in a career field, maybe its a good idea to interview/ask people in that career field their opinion on the career, not people I trust that have no earthly idea about the topic.

Listen tough guy...if you come on here asking dudes to take their own personal time to give a perfect stranger (i.e. you) advice, then you should accept that advice along with any criticism, smart ass comments, direct spears, etc WITHOUT COMPLAINT. Now shut the fuck up and listen or take your business elsewhere.

I've expressed my thanks here multiple times and I certainly have gratitude for those that have posted advice and/or their likes/dislikes of the career. But I don't see any need for people to insinuate the I'm stupid for asking strangers about the career.

But I don't see any need for people to insinuate the I'm stupid for asking strangers about the career.

Don't much care what you see the need for. I think most of the stuff dudes posted was crap. I can say that. You can either say "thank you" or nothing at all.

If you can't follow this advice then I promise that being a pilot is not for you. Further rebuttals are not authorized.

I've expressed my thanks here multiple times and I certainly have gratitude for those that have posted advice and/or their likes/dislikes of the career. But I don't see any need for people to insinuate the I'm stupid for asking strangers about the career.

This is one of those opportunities you're supposed to never pass up.

I wonder what Porkchop, TAMInated, or the others sent on a one-way trip to UAVs think about this.

Yeah, I wonder how RAMs tune will change in a couple of years, sorry to call you out bro, but I've been in your shoes then lived the dark side. Thank god for the ANG, still comes (sts) with its own pluses and minuses, but get to fly vipers again without having to PCS ever, just dodge some BRAC. The dark ages were my white jet assignment, it sucked, not as bad as UAVs, but It was terrible.

Edited by matmacwc

Wow.. The ego's on this message board are out of control. This thread has officially gone to shit. Point i'd like to mention, especially to all the badass viper pilots who think their shit don't stink, get over yourselves. Bottom line, if you think you would enjoy flying, whatever the airframe is, then do it, but you should also want to be the best officer you can be, take care of your people, flying isnt everything. Too many "great pilots" and not enough great officers in the Air Force as of late.

Wow.. The ego's on this message board are out of control. This thread has officially gone to shit. Point i'd like to mention, especially to all the badass viper pilots who think their shit don't stink, get over yourselves. Bottom line, if you think you would enjoy flying, whatever the airframe is, then do it, but you should also want to be the best officer you can be, take care of your people, flying isnt everything. Too many "great pilots" and not enough great officers in the Air Force as of late.

Goddayum! Shits gettin real up in this mutha######a. Way to go Erilejr, pissin people off! (it's a joke dude, don't get mad) for what it's worth, people don't take the time to tell you that when your getting your nuts stomped at upt. Better thicken that hide if this is the life you want. My two cents. I'm out!

FWIW, you can do plenty of "incentive rides" jumping out of planes at airborne school and rappelling from blackhawks in air assault school in AROTC... Just saying

Wrong thread?

Edited by Masshole

Was it pink or blue koolaid? Have fun in ROTC.

Nobody gives a fuck what you see the need for. Shut your pie hole or piss off.

• Upvote 1

Wow.. The ego's on this message board are out of control.

Fuckin A right. There's no gentle ego that survives going to work in an environment were someone is going to put a bunch of metal in the air intended for you. Someone's gotta do it. Here's another way for you to look at it...either STFU or you can say thank you to those who do what you don't.

Point i'd like to mention, especially to all the badass viper LGPOS pilots who think their shit don't stink, get over yourselves.

FIFY.

I'm the first guy in line to give a LGPOS driver shit and I think I earned the right along the way. And so do they. But it's a fair fight because they are free to punch back as hard as they dare.

However, you mouthing off is simply unfair. Every fighter pilot knows you can't punch a chick.

Bitch slaps, however, are well within the ROE.

Bottom line, if you think you would enjoy flying, whatever the airframe is, then do it, but you should also want to be the best officer you can be, take care of your people, flying isnt everything. Too many "great pilots" and not enough great officers in the Air Force as of late.

Please.

You have completely revealed yourself here.

The only "leaders" I've ever heard say "flying isn't everything" have been cock chugging no gag reflex peg boys who were shitty pilots AND would fuck their buddy and their people over in a minute if they thought it meant it might help their own careers.

You're the one people need to look out for. You are the problem. You are the fucking threat.

######in A right. There's no gentle ego that survives going to work in an environment were someone is going to put a bunch of metal in the air intended for you. Someone's gotta do it. Here's another way for you to look at it...either STFU or you can say thank you to those who do what you don't.

FIFY.

I'm the first guy in line to give a LGPOS driver shit and I think I earned the right along the way. And so do they. But it's a fair fight because they are free to punch back as hard as they dare.

However, you mouthing off is simply unfair. Every fighter pilot knows you can't punch a chick.

Bitch slaps, however, are well within the ROE.

Please.

You have completely revealed yourself here.

The only "leaders" I've ever heard say "flying isn't everything" have been cock chugging no gag reflex peg boys who were shitty pilots AND would ###### their buddy and their people over in a minute if they thought it meant it might help their own careers.

You're the one people need to look out for. You are the problem. You are the ######ing threat.

I love how you have assessed my whole career and integrity off of one post. I admit my original post was far from diplomatic, but it was a rough day, it happens, sorry I hurt any of the delicate fighter ego's in the world. And I will always tell everyone that flying isn't everything, there is way more to life than flying, good family life rigning a bell? Plenty of guys who spend their whole career focused on flying, leaving the family behind, and end up single, divorced, alone or all the above after retirement with no jet to fly. Also; plenty of good pilots who are horrible leaders who would sell their own parent if they thought it meant a promotion or better assignment. Additionally, the point I was making in my post was don't get sold a specific airframe or that flying is everything, because there are plenty of great pilots who dont end up with the airframe they wanted, or end up in a staff position. These are important things to consider when choosing a career path.

Cheers

The only "leaders" I've ever heard say "flying isn't everything" have been cock chugging no gag reflex peg boys who were shitty pilots AND would ###### their buddy and their people over in a minute if they thought it meant it might help their own careers.

Against my better judgement, I googled "peg boy". There is some shit you cannot unknow. That said, the above is an epic insult, and I raise my drink in your general direction*.

*I don't know where this is, so I went with the local flightline.

Edited by guineapigfury
  • Upvote 1

1. The lame parts are worse than I expected (blues, CBTs, etc), but the flying is also better than I expected.

2. Hell yes!

This applies in the HH-60 community too. However, for #2, I'd say "for now." Unfortunately, in terms of the amount of time you spend, the lame parts out-number the good parts about 5-to-1 in a good month (e.g. a month when I actually make RAP). But like anywhere else, generally you have to endure some suck to get to the good stuff. You better believe I'll be looking for a guard/reserve spot as soon as I'm eligible unless things change.

I admit my original post was far from diplomatic, but it was a rough day,

Yeah, whatever.

Plenty of guys who spend their whole career focused on flying, leaving the family behind, and end up single, divorced, alone or all the above after retirement with no jet to fly.

WTF does that have to do with anything associated with fighter pilots or egos?

You can fill in the blank for any job, flying or not, military or not and that statement is true.

These are important things to consider when choosing a career path.

That would've been sufficient.