Pilot Life

CuryOsity

Seriously? Do schools not teach these words anymore?

Well, to be fair, he arguably got this one right. Most on this forum seem to be in violent agreement that the AF is rife w/ BS (notably useless master's degrees and reflectivity); and I've seen multiple E-9 emails quoted stating how said BS is mission-essential....

Q.E.D.

:beer:

Guest jtsmith1

People using your, you're, there, their, and they're wrong is a pet peeve of mine too. Even if its on a forum or text msg.

But using a pronoun instead of a contraction isn't? :nob:

• Upvote 1

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if you were contractually obligated out of the cockpit on a RC plane job with no possibility of tactical follow-on.

Flying single-seat fighters was eleventy billion times better than I ever would have imagined. Drones? I would rather run my sack across a cheese grater.

This isn't an official document, a professional email, or anything else that actually matters. It's an internet forum. Yes, you're right, I should have used the proper spellings but did it really degrade from the message? What's more distracting, the few errors from simply not caring about grammar on a message board or the chain of posts undoubtedly to follow complaining about it?

Wrong. If you speak/write like an idiot, you will be judged to be an idiot, especially when the only thing we have to base our opinion on is your spoken/written word.

• Upvote 1

any other job in the military and i'd be out by now. i'd take a boring desk job and my freedom after 4 years than 10 years of indentured servitude as a pilot. being able to fly is enough for some people...I just want more out of life.

Wow... that's so cruel that they put a gun to your nugget and MADE you sign up to be a pilot. Some people just have it so rough...

Edited by murdocjxx

Wow... that's so cruel that they put a gun to your nugget and MADE you sign up to be a pilot. Some people just have it so rough...

....and this is the pathetic indoctrination that I have to deal with all the time. people who are so insecure that they literally get offended upon hearing that not everyone (even pilots themselves) wants to be a pilot.

add that one to the "con" column.

....and this is the pathetic indoctrination that I have to deal with all the time. people who are so insecure that they literally get offended upon hearing that not everyone (even pilots themselves) wants to be a pilot.

add that one to the "con" column.

It's not insecurity there fella. It's the fact that for everybody like you......there is someone else who would give an important piece of his/her anatomy to jump in and let you have your desk job. Something to think about.

As for me:

1. Better

2. A resounding YES!

Wheelz

But using a pronoun instead of a contraction isn't? :nob:

On this board, a grammar nazi will get you every time...

1. Yes...but there is A LOT more queep than I was expecting.

2. Hell yeah.

Thanks for all the responses, they have given me a little insight. The consensus seems to be that, for the most part, the job is worth it. It seems that for those who dislike it, they dislike the AD part more so than being a pilot. I spent 3 1/2 years enlisted so I know what to expect from a general AD standpoint. I was just curious to see if being a pilot is all its cracked up to be. I'm sitting between two ends of the spectrum, I either want to pursue aviation or apply my degree (computer engineering) and get into developmental engineering. I know they are completely different worlds, thats why I'm trying to get as much info as possible on Pilot life, keep it coming.

From my perspective, I think you need to decide very carefully if you want to be a pilot for at least 10 years. It is extremely easy to sign that 10-yr commitment, go to pilot training, take pictures of yourself in the mirror with your fighter mask on (not that I did....), drink with the bros, etc...When the newness wears off, and perhaps you don't get the exact plane you wanted initially, the question is, will you be happy?? Furthermore, as your friends are getting out of the military (after a few year commitment and starting to make money, getting prestigious degrees, etc...will you wish you were on the other side? What I have found, people that love flying overall are satisfied with being an air force pilot. People (like myself) who were more enamored by the "Top Gun" image aspect of flying, seem to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to have served my country (and that is priceless). After all, when many people have been shoveling shit in louisiana, us military aviators have been downrange helping the fight in Afghanistan, Iraq, and all over the world...cool stuff for sure. I will wear my OEF hat with pride one day, haha. Yet, from the pure job satisfaction side, if you don't love to fly, then all the queep and bureaucratic garbage will wear on you quite quickly. Also, I was a C-17 pilot and volunteered for UAVs, and I can say that I actually enjoy this job much more for a variety of reasons...One man's trash is another's treasure, I guess. Bottomline, when assessing what you want to do, toss out the outside perceptions, and images associated with a job, and decide if you will actually enjoy the task. As an example, I am kind of a big picture guy that likes to innovate, and I am bored to tears with following checklists and operating an aircraft with set parameters/specific regulations. It feels very, "monkey see, monkey do" to me. Outside the box (sts) thinking is frowned upon in aviation. But, this is all a personality thing...You just have to decide. One thing that is great about the guard/reserve is that it allows you to live 2 lives..You can serve/fly and also have an outside job...pretty good deal if you aren't 100% sure on what you want to do...good luck!

Edited by spaw2001

Thanks for all the responses, they have given me a little insight. The consensus seems to be that, for the most part, the job is worth it. It seems that for those who dislike it, they dislike the AD part more so than being a pilot. I spent 3 1/2 years enlisted so I know what to expect from a general AD standpoint. I was just curious to see if being a pilot is all its cracked up to be. I'm sitting between two ends of the spectrum, I either want to pursue aviation or apply my degree (computer engineering) and get into developmental engineering. I know they are completely different worlds, thats why I'm trying to get as much info as possible on Pilot life, keep it coming.

Between those two choices, it seems like a no brainer for me.

From my perspective, I think you need to decide very carefully if you want to be a pilot for at least 10 years. It is extremely easy to sign that 10-yr commitment, go to pilot training, take pictures of yourself in the mirror with your fighter mask on (not that I did....), drink with the bros, etc...When the newness wears off, and perhaps you don't get the exact plane you wanted initially, the question is, will you be happy?? Furthermore, as your friends are getting out of the military (after a few year commitment and starting to make money, getting prestigious degrees, etc...will you wish you were on the other side? What I have found, people that love flying overall are satisfied with being an air force pilot. People (like myself) who were more enamored by the "Top Gun" image aspect of flying, seem to be disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to have served my country (and that is priceless). After all, when many people have been shoveling shit in louisiana, us military aviators have been downrange helping the fight in Afghanistan, Iraq, and all over the world...cool stuff for sure. I will wear my OEF hat with pride one day, haha. Yet, from the pure job satisfaction side, if you don't love to fly, then all the queep and bureaucratic garbage will wear on you quite quickly. Also, I was a C-17 pilot and volunteered for UAVs, and I can say that I actually enjoy this job much more for a variety of reasons...One man's trash is another's treasure, I guess. Bottomline, when assessing what you want to do, toss out the outside perceptions, and images associated with a job, and decide if you will actually enjoy the task. As an example, I am kind of a big picture guy that likes to innovate, and I am bored to tears with following checklists and operating an aircraft with set parameters/specific regulations. It feels very, "monkey see, monkey do" to me. Outside the box (sts) thinking is frowned upon in aviation. But, this is all a personality thing...You just have to decide. One thing that is great about the guard/reserve is that it allows you to live 2 lives..You can serve/fly and also have an outside job...pretty good deal if you aren't 100% sure on what you want to do...good luck!

Great post. These are all things I consider. I try me best not to be blinded by the hype of being a pilot. I am actually going on a few "discovery" flights in the coming weeks to see if I actually enjoy being up in the air. I intend on retiring form the AF but then again things don't always go as planned. I figure if I do the 10 year commitment coupled with my prior enlisted time, there would be no point in leaving just 6 years shy of retirement. Pilot or not, I will get a masters. But if I go with developmental engineering I'll have a strong chance at going to AFIT. I have a bad habit of diving into things full force then getting bored. That's how this whole pilot idea got started, I'm somewhat getting bored with engineering. I need to be constantly challenged and I think aviation can supply that. Thanks again for all the input.

Edited by Erilejr

Great post. These are all things I consider. I try me best not to be blinded by the hype of being a pilot. I am actually going on a few "discovery" flights in the coming weeks to see if I actually enjoy being up in the air. I intend on retiring form the AF but then again things don't always go as planned. I figure if I do the 10 year commitment coupled with my prior enlisted time, there would be no point in leaving just 6 years shy of retirement. Pilot or not, I will get a masters. But if I go with developmental engineering I'll have a strong chance at going to AFIT. I have a bad habit of diving into things full force then getting bored. That's how this whole pilot idea got started, I'm somewhat getting bored with engineering. I need to be constantly challenged and I think aviation can supply that. Thanks again for all the input.

Good idea. I was going to suggest going on a few flights and seeing if you even enjoy flying. For me, I graduated college, got a career with a large corporation making some pretty decent $ but absolutely hated what I was doing... Decided to get my private pilot license and even flying the Cessna 172, I knew that flying was what I wanted to do with my life. Quit my job, applied for OTS and here I am. Truly the best decision of my life.

Why not do both? Join the Guard/Reserves and come work for Boeing! Situation resolved.

Why not do both? Join the Guard/Reserves and come work for Boeing! Situation resolved.

Hard for me to say no to that retirement. Payment for the REST OF MY LIFE haha. Ideally I could do 30 years and get that hefty retirement then spend the rest of my days doing a whole bunch of nothing. I hope that on one of these "discovery" flights I discover that I either hate flying or love flying so this decision will be easier to make.

Guest jtsmith1

+1 for the Guard/Reserve. -1 for Boeing though...j/k. I am an Engineer for a large company that sells them most of their engines, so they can be difficult at times haha.

I cannot speak from the pilot side, but from the enlisted side and 4 years on active duty, the Guard allows for the right combination of military/civilian life. Get to get into uniform a few times a month while still having all the opportunites of a civilian that have been previously dicussed (job changes, advanced degrees, relocation, etc.)

From what I have seen, it appears that most pilots agree that flying for the Guard is a better deal. Retirement is not the same obviously (unless you are AGR), but there are other ways to achieve that.

Edited by jtsmith1

It's not insecurity there fella. It's the fact that for everybody like you......there is someone else who would give an important piece of his/her anatomy to jump in and let you have your desk job. Something to think about.

I disagree; there's nothing to think about. I've earned the right to dislike my job as much as I want without having to feel sorry for someone who wasn't good enough to make the cut.

The main reasons I joined were to have a job, to see the world, and to be in an organization I would be proud of to be a member. So, I pretty much got #1, compromised on the 2nd (see the world, for better or worse), and just threw the last one out the window. If I could go back and do it again, I would have been a nav.

• Upvote 2