Guard C-130 lifestyle

UPT stud here. How common/difficult is it to fly a different cargo aircraft and then get hired by a C-130 guard unit? I was researching guard units and it seems that the majority fly 130s. 

Edited by tx_flyer
clarification

• 2 years later...

I'll give another wack at this thread revival. 

I'll be looking for a full-time AGR gig when I get back to my unit in a few months. I know it takes time and I have to pay my dues, but with that being said, is it feasible to live off of bumb pay and even buy a house? Taxes are high so I could expect a 2k month mortgage. 

Also, for those that have been around for a while, if the economy tanks do you think the money will dry up as well? I know it's DoD funded but if there's anyone still around from the last recession that could give some insight on their experience it would be appreciated.

Thanks 

Sure, you can bum and buy a house and all those things.  Lenders will want to see a few months of pay to establish a trend.  It's a tough road, though, and you'll have to be johnny on the spot with whatever the scheduler offers.  Temp or full time tech is probably a more palatable solution for you as a young co at the bottom of the O pay scale.

When the economy turns south, it's not so much that the money dries up, but dudes will come out of the woodwork looking for days and there's less per capita.  Where in good times there are 3 of you wanting that next trip, in bad times, there are 10 dudes lined up wanting that next Benning TDY.  Hopefully the airlines don't furlough next time because then it would be especially ferocious at the ops desk.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

Anyone else applying to the 115th Airlift Squadron in Point Mugu, CA? They fly the C130J

Met them last year and everyone was a riot; super funny and down to earth guys. Would be a great unit to fly with for sure. Be sure to rush their unit, increasing your chances of getting hired and you can't go wrong with the area (absolutely beautiful - grew up in SoCal myself).

Anyone have gouge on the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron (Reserves) at Keesler AFB? They fly the WC-130J. Wondering if they hire off the street for UPT. Did some research for flying opportunities and didn’t really come up with anything. 

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, CDAWG said:

Does anyone have knowledge which C-130H units might have their mission on the chopping block? Looking to Palace Chase next year. 

Wouldn’t call it “chopping block” but my buddy got picked up by Great Falls as a nav and they said they’re highly likely to get Js soon and send him to UPT

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 6:48 PM, Yeeyee said:

Anyone have gouge on the 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron (Reserves) at Keesler AFB? They fly the WC-130J. Wondering if they hire off the street for UPT. Did some research for flying opportunities and didn’t really come up with anything. 

They do. 

2 hours ago, Yeeyee said:

I’ve already contacted the recruiters, they forwarded me to the squadron but no response back from them. 

If you didnt catch the number before i deleted it message me.

Edited by jonlbs
Prob bad idea to post phone numbers

On 12/15/2019 at 9:08 PM, 08Dawg said:

Wouldn’t call it “chopping block” but my buddy got picked up by Great Falls as a nav and they said they’re highly likely to get Js soon and send him to UPT

That's what I'm interested in knowing, what units will be getting J's in the near future. 

16 hours ago, roto said:

When/what is that? Do I gotta watch CSPAN? 

Last I heard, there were somewhere around 8-12 J models slated for production in the last budget. They had narrowed the list of potential units that were being considered to receive them in a conversion from Hs to Js. As far as I know, the unit/units have not been selected yet. For details, I recommend calling the NGB and ask for Chief Lengyel.

• 3 years later...
2 hours ago, fritz51 said:

Was wondering the same for the 169th AS in Peoria. Haven’t gotten to rush them yet but shot an app over to them anyways. Seem like a cool unit but would like to hear other experiences. They fly H’s

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Spent 5 years there. Great place. Shoot me a message if you want to know more stuff about the area and etc.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...