The Mother of all CGOCs

ThreeHoler

Standard shoeclerk response: When unable to lead in your official organization (ie: the USAF), invent an organization that's completely superfluous to the mission that you can be a part of.

I see the CGOC much like a bunch of high school misfits in their basement...rolling 12-sided dice to make decisions that have zero consequence in the real world.

"Sorry kids - I'm too busy doing REAL things relative to our wing's MISSION to worry about your cute little bake sale / 'forum on leadership' (usually led by a 1Lt or SVS SQ/CC douche)."

All they do for me is clutter my inbox with useless information, events & fundraisers (I have no idea what they need to do fund-raise, but I never read the emails anyways)

Edited by Scaredfuzz21
  • Upvote 2

And with shoes and CGOC presidents everywhere getting more DPs/school slots on promotion boards while dudes like us do more deployments and have one of the lower select rates for schools it reminds me of the quote from that movie that the coach says before the nerds yell: "You know, when you were a baby in your crib, your father looked down upon you and had one wish: "Someday my son will grow up to be a man". Well look at you now; You just got your asses whipped, by a bunch of Goddamn nerds! NERDS ". Freakin' CGOC...

BTW, does anybody's squadron have a balcony? hehe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3njjD41f48

Edited by KillEmAll

I was talking to one of our stellar SNCOs today before I left work, and she was talking about the "Top Three" meeting she was about to go to. It occurred to me that the CGOC should be called the "Bottom Three" meeting. I hope it sticks because it made her laugh, as well as the CGOs around me.

• Upvote 1

Our base had their CGOC staff elections recently. Out of the 8 or so positions, none were from the Ops Group.

2 years ago our squadron pulled a coup and elected one of our own to be CGOC President without his knowing about it. We had almost every CGO in the squadron vote and it was enough to get him the prestigious position. The guy's callsign was "Teabag" so you know he was the perfect fit. Needless to say he wasn't thrilled but thought it was funny and the VP did all the "work" that year...

• Upvote 1

I have a friend, non-pilot, she went to one of these meetings at her base and said they discussed for the entire length of their meeting how to bring the CGO pilots from the base into their organization, come to their meetings/activities/parties etc.

She said it went from that, to people saying all the pilots had all the fun and they needed to be like them, to devolving into calling all pilots lame and too cool to hang out with them and became a bitch session about how pilots think they're better than the "other CGOs on the front lines"

She never went back.

I was talking to one of our stellar SNCOs today before I left work, and she was talking about the "Top Three" meeting she was about to go to. It occurred to me that the CGOC should be called the "Bottom Three" meeting. I hope it sticks because it made her laugh, as well as the CGOs around me.

CGOC sounds like back in the day when I was slected for MSgt 'they' allowed us to go to the wing Top Three meeting. So I go, not knowing any better, thinking 'wow, I've made it to the big leauges' what a complete and total cluster fvck! Should have known better when the only MX guy there was a retired on active duty total d-bag nerd. Left half way through the meeting never to return.

And on that day, throughout all the land, not a single ###### was given.

I'm out of my element in this thread (Donny-style, with no frame of reference), but that's a great line. I hope you approve of me using it quite liberally in the near future...

I have a friend, non-pilot, she went to one of these meetings at her base and said they discussed for the entire length of their meeting how to bring the CGO pilots from the base into their organization, come to their meetings/activities/parties etc.

She said it went from that, to people saying all the pilots had all the fun and they needed to be like them, to devolving into calling all pilots lame and too cool to hang out with them and became a bitch session about how pilots think they're better than the "other CGOs on the front lines"

She never went back.

So 5-6 years ago, me and my buddy went to a Friday CGOC meeting at the club to get some free beer and snacks and to check out who was there (never know, there might have been a hot nurse or something). I can't remember what they talked about, but they specifically asked me and my fellow helo brother why more pilots don't come to the meetings/get involved--it was a fair question. I basically told them that the stereotype is that non-rated guys don't like rated guys...for similar reasons listed above. A few of the dudes there said that wasn't true, but I told them that it didn't really matter because that was the perception, and that unless something changes, that's just how it was going to continue to be.

I also told him that it's different being aircrew because we have our own squadron bar, there are a lot of fellow CGO's to hang out with (unlike in the MX Sq), and that the unpredictable flying schedule doesn't allow us to go to meeting, etc. They were friendly, we got our free beer, but that was about it--we never went back.

My overall opinion is that folks that want to be on the CGOC are (for the most part) tools and suck asses. I've have several close friends at bases who were non-rated officers who are cool as hell to hang out with--and those guys also thought the CGOC was made up of a bunch of tools too. So to be fair, it's not a purely rated vs non-rated thing. It's a 'tool' vs 'non-tool' thing. It just so happens (obviously so) that I've met more tools on the non-rated side and less on the rated side.

Another thing that I've seen over ther years, is that non-rated guys are more likely to have a problem aircrew being so close and wanting to socially hang out with each other--regardless of rank, officer and enlisted, etc. Most support folks don't get that because they've never had an E literally save their ass. But again, my non-rated buddies understood that there were differences between flyers and non-flyers and it didn't really bother them. They also hung out with their E's at the bars and clubs downtown, so no difference there. Again, if you're cool, then you're cool. And if you're not, well....then you join the CGOC and/or go to their meetings.

I basically told them that the stereotype is that non-rated guys don't like rated guys...for similar reasons listed above. A few of the dudes there said that wasn't true, but I told them that it didn't really matter because that was the perception, and that unless something changes, that's just how it was going to continue to be

When I moved to my current base a neighbor welcomed us to the neighborhood and then proceeded to tell me about CGOC and when they met. I told him thanks, but no thanks I wouldn't be going. He then asked why, and since he was a nice guy and I didn't want to be an asshole, I just simply told him I work 12+ hour days, do not get any kind of a lunch break and with what little free time I have when not TDY/deployed I'm spending it with family. His mind was absolutely blown that I didn't get any kind of a break and he just couldn't understand why I couldn't make it to the club at 1200 for the lunch since it was "official business." The shoes just don't get it and they never will.

• Upvote 3

All I have seen out of the CGOC on my base is a string of emails about "senior" leaders giving talks about how to get promoted.

The problem is that the more someone cares about "what to do to get promoted" the less I want to see that person being promoted. They are generally the douches who put themselves in for every award that they can, and will generally stick a knife in your back if they think it will get them moved up someone's strat list.