Enlisted Marine to AF Pilot?

Guest Turbine0512

Guest jtsmith1

What documents should I hang onto/retrieve from the Marine Corps to bring to an Air Force recruiter? I'm thinking medical and dental records, performance reports, LOR's, military education records (SMART Transcript), MOS related training records, and formal schools. What am I missing?

You will obviously need your discharge paperwork (DD 214) and it wouldn't hurt to have some documentation of your current PFT scores.

If you have any security clearance paperwork, I would hang on to that too. All the info you looked up to fill that paperwork out will be handy when you start filling out application paperwork.

What documents should I hang onto/retrieve from the Marine Corps to bring to an Air Force recruiter? I'm thinking medical and dental records, performance reports, LOR's, military education records (SMART Transcript), MOS related training records, and formal schools. What am I missing?

I would hang onto/retrieve everything that you can get your hands on for now. It can be tough to tell when you'll need something.

I was in the middle of T38's when I got an email from someone down at Randolph. It seemed that very little data transferred with me from the Corps, and the DD214's that I'd supplied did not constitute valid documentation of service. AFPC was about to reset my pay date to OTS, in which case I was going to skip about 3 paychecks after loosing 10 years and the "E" after my pay grade.

When it was all said and done, I faxed everything that I had laying around including all enlistment documents going back to the original contract that I'd signed in high school (not making this up).

This absurdity has repeated itself a few more times, albeit on a smaller scale, with things like awards and decs.

BL: approach the shredder at your own risk during this transition. You might feel like something of a pack-rat, but better safe than sorry here.

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is old and you've probably already made up your mind; but have you considered the other services. As an enlisted Marine in Marine Aviation, you must have put some thought to flying for the Marine Corps, right?

The Navy and Army fly as well. The Marine Corps, if you go the PLC route, has guaranteed Air contracts. If you are medically cleared as an SNA or SNFO, that becomes your MOS upon signing your intial contract. Your initial contract only obligates you to 4 weeks of OCS. Should you complete OCS and decide to commission, you are an SNA unless redesignated because you voluntarily dropped your contract, you are redesignated because you get hurt, or redes because NAMI declares you NPQ.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just curious if you've looked at all of your options.