Dog Breed Restrictions in On-Base Housing

spaceman

I tried searching but I haven't really found much about this. I think the regs are fairly new too (last fall) so maybe it just hasn't been discussed yet. I also put this is the spouse section because it seems like the place for family/housing questions, so if it would be more appropriate somewhere else please go ahead and move it!

Anyway, I heard that the AF and Army both introduced some restrictions on what breeds of dogs you're allowed to have if you live on base. So I looked up the latest AFI, here:

http://www.e-publish.../AFI32-6001.pdf

At the bottom of the first page, it says:

a. Residents may not board dogs of any breed (including a mixed breed) that are deemed "aggressive or potentially aggressive," unless the dog is a certified military working dog that is being boarded by its handler/trainer or approval is obtained by the Installation Commander in writing. For purposes of this policy, aggressive or potentially aggressive breeds of dogs are defined as a Pit Bull (American Staffordshire Bull Terrier or English Staffordshire Bull Terrier), Rottweiler, Doberman Pinscher, Chow and wolf hybrids. Prohibition also extends to other breeds of dogs or individual dogs that demonstrate or are known to demonstrate a propensity for dominant or aggressive behavior as indicated by any of the following type of behaviors

Now, I don't know if I really ever want to live on base if I can help it. But I'll be at UPT next year if everything goes as planned, and from what I've heard it's usually advisable to live on base during UPT for the sake of convenience.

My concern is our dog is a boxer mix, and it's fairly apparent from looking at him that he's part pit bull. If I'm interpreting the above paragraph right, they're saying that any dog that's even partially one of the listed breeds would not be allowed. Is that correct?

Also, I'm pretty sure all our registration paperwork for him says that his breed is straight up "Boxer." Would that be enough evidence to have him cleared to live on base?

I just don't want to be in a situation some day where we're walking the dog on base or something and someone freaks out because they think they see an "illegal animal!"

I guess worst case we'll just always live off base while we have him, but I'd like to keep the option of living on base open if I can, especially for UPT.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of situation that can weigh in with some advice?

Thanks! :beer:

I read it as a 100% pitbull. He's not, so you're fine...unless he is aggressive and therefore someone could claim he falls under the "individual dogs that demonstrate..." sentence. Just say he's a boxer if anyone asks and don't make a big deal out of it...I think you'll be fine. And just remember, you may not always have a choice of whether you can live off base or not.

Secondly, what a fucking stupid policy...I know tons of people with every type of breed in that list and the dogs are great and not aggressive at all. It's jackass owners who have forced bad rep on these breeds.

• Upvote 3

Unfortunately, the kind of people who drink the Kool-Aid and would actually give a shit about what kind of dog you have because of the Regs are alot more likely to live on-base.

You don't have to show the housing office your dog, just the paperwork. If the paperwork says "boxer", then as far as the housing office knows, you have a boxer. End of story.

I read it as a 100% pitbull. He's not, so you're fine...unless he is aggressive and therefore someone could claim he falls under the "individual dogs that demonstrate..." sentence. Just say he's a boxer if anyone asks and don't make a big deal out of it...I think you'll be fine. And just remember, you may not always have a choice of whether you can live off base or not.

Yeah, our dog is pretty chill so I can't really imagine someone having a problem with him. He's good around little kids, other dogs, etc. so I'm not too worried about his behavior causing any problems.

Secondly, what a ######ing stupid policy...I know tons of people with every type of breed in that list and the dogs are great and not aggressive at all. It's jackass owners who have forced bad rep on these breeds.

Same here. I think it's pretty ignorant. I guess some entire cities have policies like this. Totally stupid!

You don't have to show the housing office your dog, just the paperwork. If the paperwork says "boxer", then as far as the housing office knows, you have a boxer. End of story.

That's pretty much what I was hoping would be the case. Luckily I think the rescue groups around here are clever enough that when they pick up dogs like this they seem to try and register them as anything but "pit bull," in order to get the dogs out of situations like this in the future.

You can always go the "lab-mix" route, saw this pups twin on base yesterday...pretty sure no one from housing saw the actual dog! Not really sure how no one has freaked out yet.

Holy crap! Yeah that dog is a lot more obviously a pit bull than my little guy. If they can get away with that then I guess I should be good. My dog is far from intimidating in my opinion:

2011-09-07_18-09-28_704.jpg?t=1321648830

I don't see Boerboels listed.

That's a big ass dog! I like this part of the article:

bored boerboels are destructive boerboels and a 150 lbs, lion-fighting dog can do a lot of damage.

No shit!!!!!!

Well thanks for the input guys. I was actually pretty worried about this but it seems like it's not too likely to be a big deal. I really doubt my wife would be as willing to be dragged around the country if we couldn't bring our dog with!

Edited by spaceman

Unfortunately, the kind of people who drink the Kool-Aid and would actually give a shit about what kind of dog you have because of the Regs are alot more likely to live on-base.

I have to agree with this... I know spouses who absolutely hate pitts, and if your dog even remotely looks like a pitt, they'll call housing.

Good Luck to you. We own a Rottie, and with an impending overseas move and a possible on-base mandate... we might be rehoming our amazing Rottie :-(

Try to keep Biggie from shitting in the planters on base.

heh, he would never! It's his favorite chair!

His name's actually Sputnik; biggie is my junk/spam account that I've had forever. But anyway...

I have to agree with this... I know spouses who absolutely hate pitts, and if your dog even remotely looks like a pitt, they'll call housing.

Good Luck to you. We own a Rottie, and with an impending overseas move and a possible on-base mandate... we might be rehoming our amazing Rottie :-(

That sucks. I guess I'll just make sure the paperwork is as legit as possible and hope no one has a problem!

Edited by spaceman
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Make the paperwork look good, if you're confident in your pup don't worry about it just make sure your neighbors know him. If your neighbors like your pup because he's always so happy to play with their kids, there's no chance they'll turn you in no matter what he looks like. But if that pic is no shit your dog, he looks like a straight up mutt to me.

If it isn't documented they can't say anything, if all the paperwork says boxer, than the dog is a boxer. I don't care what the dog "looks" like, I have two mixed dogs that I rescued and I can, at best, speculate what the breeds are in each.

Edited by Scaredfuzz21

If it isn't documented they can't say anything, if all the paperwork says boxer, than the dog is a boxer. I don't care what the dog "looks" like, I have two mixed dogs that I rescued and I can, at best, speculate what the breeds are in each.

I'd get paperwork saying the dog was something else, that way you're not leaving it up to someone else to "figure out". If it's an open question, you're putting yourself in a situation where someone else can supply the answer.

• 1 month later...

I'd get paperwork saying the dog was something else, that way you're not leaving it up to someone else to "figure out". If it's an open question, you're putting yourself in a situation where someone else can supply the answer.

My dogs don't (yet, god knows what breed they'll add next) fall on the list, but I was saying Spaceman's paperwork says boxer, period dot end of discussion, they can speculate if the dog is part pitbull but that's where it ends.

• 1 month later...

Let me add a different perspective than what has been offered. And you are not going to like this. Instead of "I'd get paperwork saying the dog was something else," "Make the paperwork look good," "If it isn't documented they can't say anything," why don't you make an effort to remain within the AFI's intent. The intent of the AFI is to keep people's dogs from harming people. There was a purpose behind generating that AFI, and as hard as it is for you to believe, it was built on precedence, much like the notes, warnings, and cautions in a tech order. The intent is bigger than your dog. There is more than one person in the USAF who would like to wear their hair differently than the AFI allows. There is a purpose behind that AFI, it is bigger than the individual.

More often than not, if you are "lawyering" an AFI, you are going down the wrong road. If your dog is pushing the boundaries of the AFI, that's probably your problem, not your neighbors who are "the kind of people who drink the Kool-Aid and would actually give a shit about what kind of dog you have because of the Regs are alot more likely to live on-base," and certainly not the USAF's problem.

• Downvote 1

Let me add a different perspective than what has been offered. And you are not going to like this. Instead of "I'd get paperwork saying the dog was something else," "Make the paperwork look good," "If it isn't documented they can't say anything," why don't you make an effort to remain within the AFI's intent. The intent of the AFI is to keep people's dogs from harming people. There was a purpose behind generating that AFI, and as hard as it is for you to believe, it was built on precedence, much like the notes, warnings, and cautions in a tech order. The intent is bigger than your dog. There is more than one person in the USAF who would like to wear their hair differently than the AFI allows. There is a purpose behind that AFI, it is bigger than the individual.

More often than not, if you are "lawyering" an AFI, you are going down the wrong road. If your dog is pushing the boundaries of the AFI, that's probably your problem, not your neighbors who are "the kind of people who drink the Kool-Aid and would actually give a shit about what kind of dog you have because of the Regs are alot more likely to live on-base," and certainly not the USAF's problem.

Valid. So if his dog is well-behaved, that satisfies your stated intent of the AFI, and he can therefore do what he needs to do. Much of the time "lawyering" is trying to execute the intent in spite of the wording.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

There was a purpose behind generating that AFI, and as hard as it is for you to believe, it was built on precedence created by people who don't know much about dogs except they look scary (kinda like liberals and guns)

FIFY

I saw someone walking a dog through base housing yesterday that was clearly a pit bull. The dog looked like it had pumped some iron before going for some cardio, but anyway I don't feel the need to say something to housing because I have no idea who that was or where they live. Your pup looks like a boxer "mix" to me and that's it. I think you'll be alright and I am sure by now you are on base and good to go.