Changing Airframes

Any insight/experience/words of wisdom to those of us changing airframes in our transition from AD to AFRC/ANG? How much seasoning can a TR expect going from one fighter to another?

Looking for responses from all airframes...

More specific, from what to what. Non current what to new what would be a better question.

The Ft. Smith and Ft. Wayne folks recently transitioned from F-16 to A-10, but I was wondering what it's like going the other way (STS)... A-10 to F-16, for instance. I know a guy making that transition this summer, and I'm wondering what perspective/experience the Viper FTU/AFRC/ANG bubbas have on this.

Heavy folks, please chime in as well... Fighters to -135s, for instance...

Edited by Pancake

The Ft. Smith and Ft. Wayne folks recently transitioned from F-16 to A-10, but I was wondering what it's like going the other way (STS)... A-10 to F-16, for instance. I know a guy making that transition this summer, and I'm wondering what perspective/experience the Viper FTU/AFRC/ANG bubbas have on this.

No big deal. Just make sure you actually want to fly whatever you are looking at transitioning to.

How much seasoning can a transitioning TR expect?

Min to none. You're a fighter pilot flying a fighter.

What kind of upgrade timeline does the unit expect (for instance, previous fighter IP upgrading in new fighter)?

What do you mean? They will expect you to be full up as soon as you can be and upgrade according to unit requirements and your ability to do so. Same as AD.

Do units put TRs on orders during upgrades?

No.

How much seasoning can a transitioning TR expect?

90-120 days. It really depends on the air frame. AFRC will give you 3 years of seasoning orders in the Raptor, but you'll only get about 6 months worth of orders in the Hog. Viper is even less.

What kind of upgrade timeline does the unit expect (for instance, previous fighter IP upgrading in new fighter)?

Depends on the unit and your ability in the jet. Most units won't be in a rush to upgrade you right away, especially not if you're going from a lead nose aircraft to a radar equipped aircraft.

Do units put TRs on orders during upgrades?

Again, it depends on the unit. If RPA is available, yes, they will put you on orders. If we're on Continuing Resolution 69 and RPA is gone, then no. If you're a TR that has already used your TPs, UTAs, and AT, then there is no other option.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Anybody heard of a scenario where a guy/gal started out in one airframe on AD, switched to a completely different one (in a different majcom...and no I'm not talking about an AETC assignment) and then tried to go back to his/her original airframe in a guard/reserve unit?

Anybody heard of a scenario where a guy/gal started out in one airframe on AD, switched to a completely different one (in a different majcom...and no I'm not talking about an AETC assignment) and then tried to go back to his/her original airframe in a guard/reserve unit?

I want to say there was a guy who at Ft. Wayne that flew Hogs then Vipers on AD. Got into the Guard flying Vipers, then switched to Hogs and now may be going back to Vipers (if he's still there). I know a guy that flew Hogs, then Eagles on AD then got into the guard flying Vipers. All kinds of crazy stories out there. If you can think it, it's probably been done.

If you're trying to get back into an old airframe in the Guard, I think it would be highly dependent upon how much the Squadron wants you. Another big factor is what kind of transition course you will need. Rush the squadron and see what they say...if they like you, they'll do a lot to get you in.

I know one AMC guy that tried to crossflow to the Bone. He was not a T38 guy. He had the support of the 7 OG and Wg CC. It had to go to Air Staff for an exception to policy. It was denied.

Don't know of any others, personally.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• 3 weeks later...

I know a guy who grew up flying C-17s on AD, came to the U-28 (i.e. changed MAJCOMS) for about 6 years, and is now flying C-17s again in the Guard. Seems to fit the bill exactly for what you're asking.

A few prior F-15C drivers from Montana ANG moved to the Washington ANG flying KC-135's. I've also seen a few folks from Ft Smith move from A-10's to KC-135's.