IRR opportunities....points

Not possible to retire from IRR unless you picked up at least 35 points from point-earning activity from IMA, AD, or SELRES (includes ANG and PIRR). USAF has two PIRR programs that are technically IRR, but AFRES treats them like SELRES in that they're on the same promotion board as SELRES and they get a CAC. The two PIRR programs are Admissions Liaison Officer and CAP-RAP. Straight IRR does not get a CAC, thus cannot do PME courses. The only points possible are 15 membership points for a straight IRR guy, so you'd need to get the other 35 prior to going IRR in that RR year for that RR year to be good. In addition, AFRES only let's you stay IRR for two bad years, then you're transferred to the inactive status list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Can we earn enough from these programs to eventually receive an Active Duty retirement? Say 18 years AD and I pick up an IMA job that provides 91.25 days a year, it will take me 8 years to accumulate the 2 years of points... but will I receive the Active Duty retirement with $$ in my pocket immediately? Same for CAP and ALO?

Can we earn enough from these programs to eventually receive an Active Duty retirement? Say 18 years AD and I pick up an IMA job that provides 91.25 days a year, it will take me 8 years to accumulate the 2 years of points... but will I receive the Active Duty retirement with $$ in my pocket immediately? Same for CAP and ALO?

Most points you'll get are INactive duty points. They count toward a reserve retirement calculation but not towards earning an active duty retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

For those looking for an off-ramp from the operational ARC/AD, a little birdie told me that CAP-USAF has a Cat B opening in the Northeast Liaison Region (NELR).  That means you get your AT days and TRS.

civil-air-patrol-introduction-4-728.jpg?cb=1283864608

It's posted on AFPC Secure > Reserve Vacancies > IMA Officer Vacancies > 95XX.

Great gig for those of you slumming it around EWR/JFK/LGA/BOS/PHL.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/13/2012 at 11:11 PM, Surf70 said:

Cat E program has its benefits. You can become a Cat E by contacting AFRC. The good deal about it is there is no commitment, i.e., no drill requirements, no UTA's, no 15 day etc. And you can get as many orders as you can handle, for both pay, and points. The only time it is for points only is if you attend a training event and you are not on orders. It is great for a bum, I wish I would have done it years ago. You are pretty much a free agent, and you are still in, etc CAC card, and all. It is called PIRR, participating inactive ready reserve, and it is a good deal if you dont want to punch and still like to do duty every now and then, and do not want the commitment of UTA's etc...

For an airline guy it has its perks... And for an Enlisted Aircrew it does too, you can work staff jobs on orders, no supervisor approval etc... However, the AD unit will be your supervising agent, for OPR, EPR once they cut orders for you, but you still belong to AFRC. You do loose your flight pay unless you have met your gates, I believe. It is a good deal like I said, and alot of guys down it because some say it is for points only, which is not true. If you are on orders you get paid just like everyone else does, and it also adds to your retirement. PM me for more info... Yes you can volunteer for as much orders as you want too. I know Cat E's that have been on AD for years. I think it is one of those best kept secrets, and it is unfunded so no chance of being cut...

How do you figure out which jobs allow you to be paid and get points, and also be on Tricare Reserve Select?  Just talking to the people at that job?