When is a Masters degree needed for a Guard Officer?

Absolutely, as well as pointing out to other readers of the "When is a Masters degree needed for Guard officer?" thread that, while the ARC may require PME and a masters for promotion, the lack of practice bleeding and a bit more control over your degree choices is a big difference from AD.

I have never heard the discussion in my squadron of needing a Master's degree for promotion. A few folks have them (I would guess less than half), but it has never been an issue that anyone has talked about.

• Upvote 1

Hell, in my unit there are guys straight out of UPT that are already working on their worthless TUI and Riddle Masters. I am about a year and a half from majors board and have not even started mine. That's how bad AD is now. I hope all you Guard/ Reserve guys know how good you got it!

Hell, in my unit there are guys straight out of UPT that are already working on their worthless TUI and Riddle Masters. I am about a year and a half from majors board and have not even started mine. That's how bad AD is now. I hope all you Guard/ Reserve guys know how good you got it!

We do, that is why we made the choice.

• Upvote 2

You made a very good one herkbum! Hopefully I will be over to the greener grass soon.

Only greener in certain aspects. We are struggling thru a mission change now that takes our airplanes away which blows, but the PME situation is definitely better.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Is the Guard going to pay for our masters?

I met a guy that asked to NOT be promoted to major, was passed over twice, then somehow was given a bonus to get out! He in-processed the reserves the day after he left AD and was promoted to major a month or so later.

Now THAT is a win.

Kind of off subject guys, but I am AD and want nothing more than to get out of this craziness called AD and join all my buddies in the guard/reserve. If I get passed over twice for O-4 while on AD, 1-will hiring boards look down on me because of that, and 2-will I still be able to be promoted to O-4 if I do get hired?

I am starting my BS online master's this week by the way to check that box.

It will depend on the unit...as was mentioned, some are hurting for people. Others are well versed in active duty shennanigans and won't care that you were passed over.

Either way, I believe you will need a waiver to get into a guard unit if you are twice passed over. We recently hired two guys in that boat and they needed it. Time will tell if they were good hires.

PME is required to make rank at my unit. Masters is not. I made O-5 with ACSC in correspondence and no masters. Currently, those without ACSC are getting DNPs for 0-5.

• 2 weeks later...

PME is required to make rank at my unit. Masters is not. I made O-5 with ACSC in correspondence and no masters. Currently, those without ACSC are getting DNPs for 0-5.

Doesn't completing ACSC by definition mean you now have a Masters?

• 2 weeks later...

Data point here. Just got notification from my ANG unit that I was selected for 0-5 on the last ROPMA board. I do not have a masters. I completed ACSC Aug '11. I am part of a special group of 157 AD majors that were not offered continuation after being twice passed over to 0-5 last year. Separated 30 Nov 11 and swore into the Guard the very next day.

Edited by Van1

Data point here. Just got notification from my ANG unit that I was selected for 0-5 on the last ROPMA board. I do not have a masters. I completed ACSC Aug '11. I am part of a special group of 157 AD majors that were not offered continuation after being twice passed over to 0-5 last year. Separated 30 Nov 11 and swore into the Guard the very next day.

You gotta love that.

Congrats!

Van1 - congrats! So am I reading correct you intentionally did not complete ACSC prior to your O-5 IPZ and APZ promotion boards, indicating you wanted to continue as a major to 20, instead got non-continued, and then decided to complete ACSC?

All prior to collecting your separation check, transition without a break in service to the guard, and then getting promoted with only a couple more years of finding full time orders to reach sanctuary?

That would be how to play the game! Solid.

All prior to collecting your separation check, transition without a break in service to the guard, and then getting promoted with only a couple more years of finding full time orders to reach sanctuary?

Sanctuary? Am I missing something?

Van1 - congrats! So am I reading correct you intentionally did not complete ACSC prior to your O-5 IPZ and APZ promotion boards, indicating you wanted to continue as a major to 20, instead got non-continued, and then decided to complete ACSC?

That would be how to play the game! Solid.

Yes to all the above except the sanctuary part. I'm a traditional guy and have to sign sanctuary waivers in order to be put on AD orders.

Sanctuary? Am I missing something?

Probable and possible I am highlighting my lack of knowledge on such subjects - I'm not in the guard/reserve.

Was more pointing out he had probably close to 16 years of AD time - which is a good chunk towards an AD retirement that could be achieved in the guard/reserve. Something that was probably keeping him on AD in the first place as making O-5 was something he wasn't interested in.

I had thought that in such cases, units could not deny full time orders to guys solely because said orders would take them over the hump for points on an AD retirement making them eligible for immediate payout verse waiting like a normal guard/reserve retirement. Something units may or may not be keen on doing. Thought that was called sanctuary - being within 2 years of an AD retirement.

Also thought it was one of those factors when transitioning out of AD well on your way to 20 years of AD time.

Sounds like Van knew what he was doing, had a plan, with a built in branch, that executed well.

Glad a dude was able to take an unexpected pink slip and make things work.

e

• 3 years later...

Hello,

I read this thread but a lot has changed since 2012 regarding masters so I'm looking for an update. I'm currently a second assignment guy (O-3) leaving RPAs for C-17s. Just curious what the latest is with reserve units and requiring/desiring advanced degrees? I've gotten the bug to get out of AD ASAP to create a more stable life for my family in one place. Anyway, my pipe dream now is complete this next assignment, then hopefully PC to a reserve unit while starting up with an airline. Whether it plays out like that or not, getting out at 10 is looking more and more certain for me. So that said, I have 18 of 36 hrs in a degree that really doesn't do much for me which I started as a box-checker not certain what my future held for me with the AD. Is my selection/ability to complete 20 years hinge on having a masters? To be clear, I have no personal desire to waste money on a degree that I feel is teaching me the same things I learn through experience, and I have no extreme ambition to promote. O-4 desired, O-5 would be welcomed if it happened.

Appreciate any updates and input!

leaving RPAs for C-17s.

Good stuff man, I bet that's a relief!

I'd like to know the same thing. I just got hired and am about to go to TFOT but it's never too early to start, especially if all I can manage is one class at a time online, sounds like you might have been doing the same. Last I heard through the grape vine is that it's an absolute requirement for O-6 and highly desired for O-5, but I'm not sure if that's a guard/reserve requirement too. This article hits up on it a bit:

http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/military/benefits/education/2014/11/07/new-education-rules-for-air-force-officers-begin-dec-1/18637489/

I'd imagine with how hard it is to get promoted in the guard/reserve, it would be worth-while to get it done before the O-5 board, and would probably also help a lot when trying to make Major. I'll have to ask about it when I'm at the next drill.

Thanks for the replies, and xcraft, an update from your unit too would be appreciated! I think I'm going to start networking with some reserve squadrons when I get to my new duty station in the next month and inquire directly. I hate wasting the 18 hours I've already worked for, but I'm tired of missing out on family time because of it.

I'm currently a second assignment guy (O-3) leaving RPAs for C-17s. Just curious what the latest is with reserve units and requiring/desiring advanced degrees? I've gotten the bug to get out of AD ASAP to create a more stable life for my family in one place. Anyway, my pipe dream now is complete this next assignment, then hopefully PC to a reserve unit while starting up with an airline.

Focus on being a pilot first. With the insatiable need for ISR, I'm sure you heard of bases getting massive UAV bills to fill. We had a UAV guy who didn't quite cut it and is heading back that way. You've escaped for now, but I'd still watch my cornhole if I were you.

There are two types of people in my squadron who have a masters...former active duty guys and guys who have them for their civilian employment. Recently, we received a memo about needed a masters to make O-6... PME is mandatory, but I don't think we've had anyone go in-residence since the early 2000s, and I think that was just because he wanted to get out of dodge for a few weeks.