RPA School at Holloman

35 minutes ago, hispeed7721 said:

With TDY enroute you will get per diem at your TDY location as well as BAH from your losing duty station. You won't start getting the new BAH until you in process at your new base. From a money standpoint just think of it as an out and back TDY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome. Thanks !!

Does anyone know what happens to an MQ-9 pilot that is passed over for the second time to lt col with 15 years in? Are they retained as a major to 20?  Retained until 24?  Separated?  I would imagine they are retained given manning but know of a major 2 years ago that did not get retained as an RQ-4 pilot. Surprised me. Just wondering what people have scene anecdotally since AFPC is a black box. 

Does anyone know what happens to an MQ-9 pilot that is passed over for the second time to lt col with 15 years in? Are they retained as a major to 20?  Retained until 24?  Separated?  I would imagine they are retained given manning but know of a major 2 years ago that did not get retained as an RQ-4 pilot. Surprised me. Just wondering what people have scene anecdotally since AFPC is a black box. 

Last I heard of a Major not being continued was the 2011 fiasco. Did your friend have anything negative in his records? In the past two years I've had two friends passed over to Major get offered continuation to 20, so you're probably safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On March 10, 2016 at 6:21 AM, NavigaterPilot said:

You will be offered continuation due to all pilots being critically manned now. Since we all didn't see the writing on the wall well before AFPC. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 5:41 AM, cragspider said:

You will be offered continuation due to all pilots being critically manned now. Since we all didn't see the writing on the wall well before AFPC. 

And some of the individuals who made it to Major in RPAs... really scraping the bottom of that barrel. I'm sure everyone knows 1 or 2.

So the word is that ALL who arrive are being forced into on base billeting. At some point someone needs to say: we have had enough! We refuse! "He who opposes the tide, will be swept away by it". And we all wonder who this is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, Grouch said:

And some of the individuals who made it to Major in RPAs... really scraping the bottom of that barrel. I'm sure everyone knows 1 or 2.

Not just with the RPA's. I've seen guys who look good on paper suck at most everything including their primary job of flying the mission. 

3 hours ago, ned1 said:

So the word is that ALL who arrive are being forced into on base billeting. At some point someone needs to say: we have had enough! We refuse! "He who opposes the tide, will be swept away by it". And we all wonder who this is

Just refuse gov qtrs and quote the jtr's.  

1 hour ago, cragspider said:

Just refuse gov qtrs and quote the jtr's.  

Policy was impimented by the OG/CC. FYI in my limited interaction with him he was a superdouche. Probably buds with Chang. Choose your battles wisely. Unless your are willing/have the resources/rank to to T off and fight the good fight I recommend you keep your head down and look up some good microwave recipes for the 6-9+ months you will be there.  (no joke) I could write a book on the problems with that place, lodging is the least of your worries, especially if you aren't a new guy. Your frustration meter will be pegged the entirety of your stay. 

Post name and quals

2 hours ago, viper154 said:

Policy was impimented by the OG/CC. FYI in my limited interaction with him he was a superdouche. Probably buds with Chang. Choose your battles wisely. Unless your are willing/have the resources/rank to to T off and fight the good fight I recommend you keep your head down and look up some good microwave recipes for the 6-9+ months you will be there.  (no joke) I could write a book on the problems with that place, lodging is the least of your worries, especially if you aren't a new guy. Your frustration meter will be pegged the entirety of your stay. 

The current OG/CC is about par for the course with regards to RPA O-6 leadership.  I'd recommend not flying into any MEZs.  They are trigger happy with paperwork down here.  If you have a valid reason to not stay on base (bringing your family), call the 16th and they might be able to help you out.

• 5 months later...

I just found the Hellfire House still to be in business and made my life a lot easier. I have been approved to live off base for dietary reasons. Not much they could say to stop it. The guys running the place are great so far. Everything is provided, and they were looking out for my best interests. Beats the hell out of being on base. Fully furnished house, free utilities, and they even send us some essentials when we need them. Couldn't have asked for a better place and it's the closest to Holloman. They have a few rooms available if you check out their site (www.hellfirehouse.com), former military guy who knows what it's like runs the show and will take care of you.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2016 at 11:51 PM, guineapigfury said:

The current OG/CC is about par for the course with regards to RPA O-6 leadership.  I'd recommend not flying into any MEZs.  They are trigger happy with paperwork down here.  If you have a valid reason to not stay on base (bringing your family), call the 16th and they might be able to help you out.

It's not the OG/CC's policy it's the previous WG/CC policy and it's unlawful. Military policies must be based on military necessity, the only reason the previous WG/CC made this policy is to increase his MWR funding. The more people stay on base the more money he made for "base improvement". 

It's funny his policy didn't make the F-16 students stay on base. Their training is the same length but I'm sure the old CC knew that community would tell him to shove it. Clear JFTR violation.  

My understanding is that the difference is the F-16 dudes arrive on orders greater than six months, so that's a PCS.  The poor bastards tricked/dragooned into RPAs are on orders less than 6 months which is a TDY, so different rules.  The fact that RPA classes routinely graduate well past the six month mark means nothing since the orders say 4 months.  At least they get per diem.  You're right it was the previous WG/CCs policy, he's a douche also.  I've yet to meet an Active Duty RPA O-6 that I would piss on if he was on fire.  If they wanted money for the hotel, maybe they shouldn't have shoved the pipeline airmen into the dorms.

• 8 months later...
On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:26 PM, mikezulu2016 said:

Anyone there now that can provide an update? Still backlogged? Off base lodging availability etc...thanks in advance

Mike- Hellfire House is a great option when it comes to off base lodging. Fully furnished with no out of pocket expenses (outside of personal items). They have 4 bedrooms/3 baths and are from what we have found to be the closest off base housing to Holloman. I know they have availability now but the rooms fill up fast. Give them a call at (575) 495.2305 or at www.Hellfirehouse.com

• 2 months later...

Same question that's been asked, but has anyone heard/know of someone who has successfully stayed off base at Holloman? I've had my fill of roach hotel lodging, looking to not stay in a room with shitty a/c in the New Mexico summer. 

The new update to the JTR (as of 1 Nov) says "1. A DoD Service member must use available Government quarters if ordered to a U.S. installation" and "a Service member is sent on TDY to a U.S. installation and the Government quarters on that installation (not nearby) are adequate and available, he or she is required to use Government quarters." Which seems pretty cut and dry, but follows up with "adequate Government quarters are available on the U.S. installation to which a Service member is assigned TDY, but the Service member chooses to use other lodging, the Service member is limited to the reimbursement cost of Government quarters on the assigned TDY installation n (44 Comp. Gen. 626 (1965))."  The quoted file there is a bunch of legalese that my pilot brain can't quite decipher, maybe someone is smarter than I am?

Regardless, how I read that is I am required to stay on base, or only be reimbursed for the cost of gov quarters (standard $60/day), which is how it's been forever. A guy in my squadron who just left for Holloman supposedly got a welcome letter from their CC saying they have to stay on base regardless, but I'm assuming the JTR still trumps.  

As a captain headed to my last assignment before I'm allowed to punch, I'm willing to press to test a bit, but wondered if anyone had recently been successful. 

17 hours ago, Sly716 said:

Same question that's been asked, but has anyone heard/know of someone who has successfully stayed off base at Holloman? I've had my fill of roach hotel lodging, looking to not stay in a room with shitty a/c in the New Mexico summer. 

The new update to the JTR (as of 1 Nov) says "1. A DoD Service member must use available Government quarters if ordered to a U.S. installation" and "a Service member is sent on TDY to a U.S. installation and the Government quarters on that installation (not nearby) are adequate and available, he or she is required to use Government quarters." Which seems pretty cut and dry, but follows up with "adequate Government quarters are available on the U.S. installation to which a Service member is assigned TDY, but the Service member chooses to use other lodging, the Service member is limited to the reimbursement cost of Government quarters on the assigned TDY installation n (44 Comp. Gen. 626 (1965))."  The quoted file there is a bunch of legalese that my pilot brain can't quite decipher, maybe someone is smarter than I am?

Regardless, how I read that is I am required to stay on base, or only be reimbursed for the cost of gov quarters (standard $60/day), which is how it's been forever. A guy in my squadron who just left for Holloman supposedly got a welcome letter from their CC saying they have to stay on base regardless, but I'm assuming the JTR still trumps.  

As a captain headed to my last assignment before I'm allowed to punch, I'm willing to press to test a bit, but wondered if anyone had recently been successful. 

Your commander can lawfully order you to stay on base.

Your commander can tell you to stay on base but he has to have a valid mission related reason to do so. If you chose to stay off base they may threat to give you paper work, but if you threaten an IG complaint I seriously double they will give you paperwork.

I don't know anyone that has been given paperwork over this terrible policy. It just scares Lts because they don't know any better.

If they did give paperwork and you IG'ed, they would have to defend their policy which they can't because there is not valid mission necessity. You aren't going to do better in the course because you sleep on base.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys, I'm looking to get some updates on this thread.  How long would a reservist/guardsman expect to be in the schoolhouse?  I've heard everything from 4 months to 9 months--what's the current timeline?  Has the dipshittery surrounding the "required" use of DoD lodging been squashed?  I'd stay off base anyway and gladly throw the JTR in their faces.  Are there any decent apartments for unaccompanied folks to live?  My husband won't be able to join me and I'm not interested in roommates.  Thanks. 

Sally, like you said throw the JTR in their face and stay where ever you like. No one has EVER gotten paperwork for staying off base and they never will. It's a stupid policy that isn't enforceable. 

Edited by BASH

Staying off base stupidity is still in place, a couple people in my class were given LOCs for staying off base without the "approval" of the training sq. Anyone who has actually stood up to them has been able to stay off base, but expect push back. I told them I have cats, guns, and refuse to only have a mini fridge and a microwave for 5 months and they still gave me the third degree for quite a while.

Here's where I'm staying: http://www.tdyholloman.com/index.php/aspen/

You get a 2 bed/1.5 bath townhouse all to yourself for the $60/day rate. Comes furnished, kitchen has all the basics, it's about a 20 minute door-to-door to work. 

As far as how long as training takes, it's planned for about 5 months. Everyone I've talked to ahead of me has graduated pretty close on time, expect to be pretty slow in the beginning (1-2 flights a week maybe) and then get crushed towards the end as you become the "senior" class in your squadron.