RPA School at Holloman

http://bpielpaso.com

Butlers pantry was pretty much the only game in town when I was there. The monthly rent they charged was just under max lodging, but well above on-base rate. So without the non-a, you're putting up some bah to make the math work. Nbd; still way better than the on base fare, imo.

I stayed at the ventanas on Main. There's a pool to go chill with the kids after class (*cough*1130).

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Thread revival.

Headed to Holloman for MQ-1 training. Any update to the training/school/timeline would be greatly appreciated.

Is the course really that long? Can we expect to graduate early or late?

Is the glider club still operational and offering training during the winter?

What's the lodging situation like? Any good off-base options?

Anything else?

Edited by flyguy2181

• 1 month later...

For the guys who stayed at Las Ventanas, did you just refuse quarters on base and have something set up with them? Also what did you do for furniture? A couple of the places I have found who sublease out from them are charging an arm and leg for it. As to where the 75% periderm wouldn't even cover it.  Thanks 

• Upvote 1

Managed to get a non-A, since I had my family and a dog in tow.

Beyond that, the managers at the apartment complex should be able to let you know who's doing corporate furnishings.  Yeah, on base rate won't cover it, you'll have to supplement out of your BAH.  Still worth it, IMO.  But the on base accommodations are far from the worst in the AF.

• 2 weeks later...

Like BFM said, some dudes pay the additional cost and bring their own stuff.  I found a place called Hellfire House (www.hellfirehouse.com).  Everything was provided and they charged the same daily rate as on base, but way nicer.  May be worth a look. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
11 hours ago, emer msn said:

We stayed here and the place was awesome.  They will allow pets too.

Ugg.  First time back in over a year and I screw it up.   Sorry I cut that link off the post.  Just trying to figure stuff out after being out of the BO game for awhile.  

• 2 weeks later...

Word on the street is all single dudes/dudetts that started after Jan 1 are required to stay in provided lodging as directed by the OG/CC. Rumor was the married folk can still decline lodging but I can't confirm that. I'll ask around tomorrow/later this week and try to get the details. 

1 hour ago, BFM this said:

Can't imagine that's going to be sustainable for much longer, unless O3 and below double up.

The FY16+ production is eye watering.

The projected numbers maybe. The schedule is god awfully slow. The course could easily be accomplished in 3 moths, currently scheduled for 5 months, actual graduation currently is taking 7-8 months.  Unless there is some major behind the scenes changes that neither the instructors or students know about, the FTU isn't going to be able to meet half of the desired output. Ive asked numerous instructors how they plan on handling the increased numbers and the answers are typically shoulder shrugs and blank stares. 

Every pilot student I know here (all arrived before Jan 1) live off base. It looked like they were building some additional extended stay rooms. Hotel parking lots were always empty. Seems to me the base hotel was hurting for business and this is the answer to get bodies in beds.  

On February 2, 2016 at 11:59 AM, gonefishin said:

What is going on with the mandatory on base at Holloman for RPA students? Is this still going on? Is there a way to live off base?

Heard the Wing/CC pushed the decisions making down to the Sq/CC's who then pushed it to Flt/CC's.  Aside from getting a Non-A letter, it sounded like it would be more bro-level with excuses like 'pets, personal weapons, family, etc' working to live off base.  However, the leniency may be getting reigned back in.  

Seems like a bogus rule that doesn't line up with the AF's push to improve RPA way of life...or try to improve.

• 3 weeks later...

Only looked at the first few pages but seems 90% relevant. Needs a slide about the "RPA manning ship" hitting the ice burg and the FTU using a bucket to try and bail the water out, while the weapons school wanna be (s) are too concerned with the color of your debrief marker. If I had dollar every time I was told only "only certain SQDs do this and you will probably never do it again" I would have a down payment on my house. 

• 2 weeks later...

I cross trained and will be going TDY enroute to Creech. How does it work w BAH if I have a non a letter and will be getting an apartment at holloman. Will I continue to collect BAH from my old duty station?New duty station? Or no BAH at all if the lodging is being paid out ($60 a day)?  

I cross trained and will be going TDY enroute to Creech. How does it work w BAH if I have a non a letter and will be getting an apartment at holloman. Will I continue to collect BAH from my old duty station?New duty station? Or no BAH at all if the lodging is being paid out ($60 a day)?  

With TDY enroute you will get per diem at your TDY location as well as BAH from your losing duty station. You won't start getting the new BAH until you in process at your new base. From a money standpoint just think of it as an out and back TDY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk