Baseops Forums
M2

Good military/aviation books

Any recommendations on good FAC books/CSAR?

I just finished up reading “alone at dawn” John Chapman’s story which was extremely well written. As well as “surprise kill vanish” which is a incredibly interesting book about the history of our nations use of the “hidden hand.”

Any recommendations on good FAC books/CSAR?
I just finished up reading “alone at dawn” John Chapman’s story which was extremely well written. As well as “surprise kill vanish” which is a incredibly interesting book about the history of our nations use of the “hidden hand.”

Bury Us Upside Down is a great book about the history of the MISTY FACs in Vietnam. None Braver is about the early OEF PR support and was ok. As with most things it focused far too much on the PJs but it a good job taking about how we postured PR in the first 6-9 months of the war.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Danger41 said:

Anyone read Mattis’ new book?

Not yet, in the queue. Just some excerpts in articles, but I think it looks interesting. 

+1 for ‘War for the hell of it”, Audible edition.

• Like 2

Anyone get Mattis's new book? Thoughts?

edit: saw it was asked above, great minds think alike!

Edited by xaarman
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, xaarman said:

I am about halfway through. Enjoying it so far. Some frustrating examples of missed opportunities due to political indecision.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, xaarman said:

I've got it on Audible..some people are complaining of the narrator but I don't mind it at 1.25x. Haven't finished yet so I can't comment on the book itself just yet. Still trying to finish "About Face"

Just finished reading "The Dream Machine" by Richard Whittle. Covers the development, marketing, and integration of the V-22. Provides an interesting look at a machine that could still revolutionize air travel.... 

• Like 1

I've got it on Audible..some people are complaining of the narrator but I don't mind it at 1.25x. Haven't finished yet so I can't comment on the book itself just yet. Still trying to finish "About Face"

Took your suggestion. Definitely listen at 1.25x. Made for a good read once you get past chapter 1. Unsurprisingly there’s a lot of history lessons both recent and not. Plenty of frustrations with strategic near-sightedness and indecision’s and plenty of missed opportunities.

Highly recommend
  • Upvote 1