Good military/aviation books

M2

13 hours ago, xaarman said:

Anyone get Mattis's new book? Thoughts?

edit: saw it was asked above, great minds think alike!

I've got it on Audible..some people are complaining of the narrator but I don't mind it at 1.25x. Haven't finished yet so I can't comment on the book itself just yet. Still trying to finish "About Face"

I've got it on Audible..some people are complaining of the narrator but I don't mind it at 1.25x. Haven't finished yet so I can't comment on the book itself just yet. Still trying to finish "About Face"

Took your suggestion. Definitely listen at 1.25x. Made for a good read once you get past chapter 1. Unsurprisingly there’s a lot of history lessons both recent and not. Plenty of frustrations with strategic near-sightedness and indecision’s and plenty of missed opportunities.

Highly recommend
  • Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Anyone here read Sherman Lead: Flying the F-4D Phantom II in Vietnam by Gail Peck?

I watched his Constant Peg video that was posted somewhere several weeks ago and he mentioned his “new” book but I haven’t gotten to it yet.  Figured it may be a good time to read through it as “idle hands are the devils’ playthings” and the frau keeps finding shit for me to do. 

Archive.org is making all of its books available without a waitlist right now, they have a shitload of aviation and mil history titles. Ex: Forever Flying by Bob Hoover https://archive.org/details/foreverflying00rabo

You can "borrow" and then download to read in Adobe Digital Editions app

Edited by Bobsan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Dreadnought

Castles of Steel

both by Robert Massie

Both pretty hefty books, but I found them easy reads and fascinating accounts of the world of naval battle at around the turn of the 20th century, the building of the first modern battleship which started a massive arms race which led to WWI.  Then he covers the use of those ships in combat and strategic messaging during the war.

Although they are stand alone books, read them in the above order for best results

Since the library has been closed, been re-reading some of my own library:

The Path Between the Seas by David Mccullough

About the digging/building of the Panama Canal.  Fascinating, sheer grinding work with a very high disease death rate.

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 7:59 PM, Ricofromdetroit said:

Any recommendations on good FAC books/CSAR?

I just finished up reading “alone at dawn” John Chapman’s story which was extremely well written. As well as “surprise kill vanish” which is a incredibly interesting book about the history of our nations use of the “hidden hand.”

A little late, but Leave No Man Behind has a wide collection of CSAR cases.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:08 PM, Danger41 said:

Anyone read Mattis’ new book?

Bump. 

Callsign Chaos

I can't underscore this enough: All leaders NEED to read this book.  Mattis demonstrates the integrity and intent based leadership that could heal most of the problems our current military structure faces.  Not many people have to integrity to innovate themselves into unemployment (he shut down Joint Forces Command, which he was in charge of, because it was basically useless).  He also cuts straight to facts about decision making and how not empowering leaders below you hamstrings operational effectiveness and efficiency.  

Great book.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just re-read Flying Through Midnight by John T. Halliday as well as Starship Troopers By Robert Heinlein.  Both highly recommended.

If you were at Ali Al Salem in the 2005-2008 time frame, you might remember the dice pen tab patches that were inspired by Flying Through Midnight.

FF

• Like 1

Just re-read Flying Through Midnight by John T. Halliday as well as Starship Troopers By Robert Heinlein.  Both highly recommended.
If you were at Ali Al Salem in the 2005-2008 time frame, you might remember the dice pen tab patches that were inspired by Flying Through Midnight.
FF

Got a picture of the patch by chance? Couldn’t find it in google.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

On 6/7/2020 at 1:05 AM, CharlieHotel47 said:

Got a picture of the patch by chance? Couldn’t find it in google.

Not likely you'll find one either.  It was a once off production if memory serves correctly.  Don't have a picture, but it was a standard flight suit pen tab size.  Tan flightsuit colored background with a dark brown boarder.  Standard red dice angled off showing three sides centered in the middle of the patch.  Rather nondescript.

FF

• 7 months later...
On 6/9/2020 at 11:05 PM, Cherokeeflyer said:

Also enjoyed eye of the viper. I just finished Tanker Pilot by Mark Hasara. Not a bad read at all. 

Bump for any updated quarantine reads.

Just finishing Tanker Pilot now, I've enjoyed the operational level view and Mark's interactions with Navy, Army etc. to improve tanker ops.