Good military/aviation books

M2

Failure is not an Option - Gene Kranz. Saw the guy talk at KOSH last year with all the Apollo astronauts, it was great, he still drove the conversation and was the clear leader, when he spoke people listened. Hero of the Republic.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

River of Doubt by Candace Millard

About Teddy Roosevelt's post-presidency Amazon river discovery voyage.  I knew he'd done such but figured it was a "gentleman's tour" complete with rest stops, etc so it wasn't too strenuous yet would make for a good drawing room story later on.

Not at all.  Truly a survival story.

While the hero's of the book are largely Kermit, his son, and a Brazilian colonel who were the true brains and muscle, along with the Brazilian grunts, of the expedition, to be in your late 50s and battle it out in the jungle for several months utterly alone and in no contact with civilization is pretty bad-ass.  It was a 50-50 on survival of the group.

Excellent read, not overly dramatic.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

My Secret War, Richard S Drury, A1 pilot in 'nam. Quick read, talks about night dive bombing, uncle ho's trail, uniform standards, awards and decs writing, and retention issues. All of our favorite things.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If you have Prime, "fighter pilot" by Robin Olds is free on audiobook collections under channels for prime.

His memoirs and progression throughout his career through many airframes and how he dealt with certain types of "leadership" and other hardships in life

Edited by ayz33
  • Like 1

Not aviation related directly, but military...I'm on Vol II of Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy about WWII in Europe.  Volume 1 (An Army at Dawn) covers the North African Campaign, while Vol II (The Day of Battle) covers Sicily and the Italian campaign.  Highly recommended for WWII history buffs. 

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:03 AM, 08Dawg said:

Not aviation related directly, but military...I'm on Vol II of Rick Atkinson's Liberation Trilogy about WWII in Europe.  Volume 1 (An Army at Dawn) covers the North African Campaign, while Vol II (The Day of Battle) covers Sicily and the Italian campaign.  Highly recommended for WWII history buffs. 

2!!

Very good series.

Separate but related is nearly anything by James Hornfischer.  He writes USN in the Pacific during WWII stuff.  Haven't read a bad one yet.  In particular, "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is amazing.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brickhistory said:

Separate but related is nearly anything by James Hornfischer.  He writes USN in the Pacific during WWII stuff.  Haven't read a bad one yet.  In particular, "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is amazing.

Loved that one.  Read it for a class in college.  Very good!

For a pure fun aviators read:  Fighter Pilot’s Heaven by Donald Lopez JR. Great short read on testing the early jets after WW2 up until Korea. The aviation related content is great, what I found more enjoyable was the old school mindsets and other concepts that we would in no way get away with today (some of that is good and bad). 

Also: Cheers to the F-16 folks that have been flying CAP over the PBI area all Easter weekend. Been lounging by the pool or getting my fly fishing bugs wet looking up every 5-10 minutes when you come around on the orbit. At least the weather has been good for ya. 

ATIS

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Danger41 said:

With Amazon Prime, how do you guys get audiobooks? I can’t figure it out.

You can choose the different book options(hard/soft cover/collectible/kindle) if the book has an audio version. There aren't free streamable books with prime on audible anymore, i think they got rid of them and replaced them with shows that probably won't interest you. if you have kindle unlimited 'some' books come with an audiobook version as well

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 8:15 PM, MountainHerc said:

Audible is linked with Amazon, so that’s what I use.

For a free option, most libraries have a digital media program where you can access their audiobooks with an app. Overdrive is a popular one. Normally just requires a current library card. I’ve got accounts with the Air Force and two local libraries and can usually find a given book and always one worth a listen.

I highly recommend "Lucky 666: The Impossible Mission that Changed the War In the Pacific" by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin.  It's about a ragtag B-17 crew and their ultimate final mission together that lead to two MoHs (one for Jay Zeamer the pilot and the other for Joe Sarnoski the bombardier).  Truly inspiring stuff about the B-17 crews in the theater they weren't really recognized for.  I got to visit Sarnoski's grave at the Punch Bowl in HI this summer, very moving experience. 

• 9 months later...

Best book I’ve read in years about UPT was, 

“If You Ain’t a Pilot”. By Ray Wright

The most realistic book about UPT back in the day 1988, but also pretty funny and any Pilot can relate to it!

E80E6202-F7BF-4A17-9160-F3ECF0D5474A.jpeg

Edited by Vito

49 minutes ago, Vito said:

Best book I’ve read in years about UPT was, 

“If You Ain’t a Pilot”. By Ray Wright

The most realistic book about UPT back in the day 1988, but also pretty funny and any Pilot can relate to it!

E80E6202-F7BF-4A17-9160-F3ECF0D5474A.jpeg

I can personally vouch for the accuracy of that book since I'm in it.  I personally thought more pages should have been dedicated to the outstanding work done by their T-38 Class Commander.

• Haha 1

Any recommendations on good FAC books/CSAR?
I just finished up reading “alone at dawn” John Chapman’s story which was extremely well written. As well as “surprise kill vanish” which is a incredibly interesting book about the history of our nations use of the “hidden hand.”

Bury Us Upside Down is a great book about the history of the MISTY FACs in Vietnam. None Braver is about the early OEF PR support and was ok. As with most things it focused far too much on the PJs but it a good job taking about how we postured PR in the first 6-9 months of the war.
  • Thanks 1