Good military/aviation books

M2

Fellas,

I would like to put a comprehensive list together of these books and any other good ones that my fellow baseops.netters recommend. But I would also like to place a book review next to the title (a personal review from you guys as opposed to the amazon.com review).

Any volunteers willing to post a book review for the books you (or someone else) recommended? One or two paragraphs or as much as you like... Mahalo in advance -- I will conglomerate this information onto a separate webpage with book titles and reviews etc.

We can put together our own PME Reading List - educational, inspiring, and entertaining?

Guest monkeypoo
"War For The Hell of It."

Any one ever read this book? Its by Ed Cobleigh. He flew F4's in Vietnam. I'm about half way through it and can't put it down. Great reading. Tells a load of awesome stories about his experience and what it was like being a fighter pilot in Vietnam. Pretty informative.

Dude, that book is still the best book on being a fighter pilot I've ever read. The guy has a great sense of humor, but also discusses some serious issues about the war and how it was fought from the perspective of a keenly aware fighter jock. He writes in a very entertaining and playful way that keeps the reader always intrigued to know more. The ghost he sees, the squadron area jokes, bouts chasing women, thoughts about the overpriviledged monkeys back home who wouldn't lift a finger to fight for freedom and a lot of other great things. The last page brought tears to my eyes. Man, what a great book. I'd love to read it again. Enjoy. :flag_waving:

Guest Big Slick

The Wrong Stuff : The Adventures and Misadventures of an 8th Air Force Aviator

You can find it on Amazon.

I really enjoyed this book about a WWII B-17 pilot. It is written from the perspective of a true "crew dog." He details the flying but also talks about the stupid rules, dumb leaders and queepy regs. Sort of like Catch 22, but with better flying stories.

Some highlights:

Staring at the oil pressure gauges for hours as the co-pilot so he can feather the props at the first sign of pressure loss.

While climbing through the weather, their B-17 gets seperated from the rest of the group. When they come out of the wx, it is them and about 100 German fighters. The author talks about literally being frozen in place because he is certain they are about to die. Scary as hell.

As an AC, his FNG navigator gives him a heading 180* out. Instead of going back to the homebase, it takes them back over the German AA gunners. The AC realizes it before anything serious happens. A realistic story of a crusty AC berating a new, dumb-a$$ crewmember.

After flying all his combat missions, he is assigned to a non combat unit that is all veterans. Some non-combat REMF Colonel comes along and tries to give them all failing checkrides because he doesn't like their attitudes. So, the AC shuts down all four engines during an engine out maneuver just to scare the hell out of the Colonel. He decides to leave all the veterans alone because they are all "crazy from battle fatigue."

He also has lots of cool stories about trying to hook up with British women on R&R in London. He gets a really cheap room in a fancy hotel only to find out that V-2 rockets land on it everynight. He just says "F-it" and goes back to sleep.

If you love flying, but hate all the BS that goes along with the military you will dig this book.

Edited by Big Slick

Guest Sulaco

For those of you who started their aviation career in the civilian sector, from teaching to flying as a freight dawg, you have to read:

Moondog's Academy of the Air and other Disasters, by Pete Fusco.

http://www.amazon.com/Moondogs-Academy-Air...s/dp/059509709X

This is by far one of the funniest books I have ever read, and will be a good laugh for anyone. This being said if you did any of the above it will definately bring back memories!

"Around the World in 175 Days" by C.V. Glines

In 1924, the US Army Air Service sent four Douglas World Cruisers (two place, open cockpit, used wheels and floats) and 8 men on a circumnavigation of the world. In a time of extremely tight budgets and threats of losing the air capability, the Air Service saw the flight as a PR dream and a way to wake up Congress.

Using pre-staged supply dumps, set up in unique circumstances by other junior officers who got it done no matter what, these airmen battled storms, fog, heat, ice, and non-stop PR at each stop to get the mission flown.

They lost their commander, a major, soon after setting out, when he wiped out on an Alaskan mountain top - both he and his mechanic survived and after a 10 survival story of their own, were rescued.

After each day of flying, these guys had to perform their own post-flight maintainance - wiping down the fabric aircraft, oiling/gassing the Liberty engines, re-tensioning the bracing wires, varnishing the dope fabric, etc, for an average of about 6 hours after each flight.

At an average of 75mph, these guys got it done and probably saved the US Army's aviation branch. Two DWCs made it all the way, one is now in the Smithsonian, the other is in the Santa Monica Museum of Aviation (closed the last time I checked).

These were some iron aviators. :flag_waving::salut:

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished "The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11" by Lawrence Wright, It is a very comprehensive history of Islamic extremism from the begining to 9/11. IMHO it is very well written and very interesting. I downloaded it to my Ipod from Itunes and really enjoyed it. Warning: it is unabridged (14 hours long)

Jp84u2

Guest Flyin' AF Hawaiian
Also has anyone read "American Patriot: The Life and Wars of Colonel Bud Day" by Robert Coram? Looks like it came out earlier this month.

Just finished "American Patriot." Great read, IMO. Written by the same guy that wrote the Col. John Boyd biography. "Bury Us Upside Down" is another of my faves that I just recently finished.

Guest monkeypoo

Fox Two: The Story of America's First Ace in Vietnam

By Randy "Duke" Cunningham

Book is about Duke Cunningham's experience in Vietnam. It goes into great detail about life on a carrier during a combat cruise and how he and his RIO "Willy" Driscoll became the first aces of the Vietnam war. It talks a lot about the tactics he used to score his kills and goes into depth in describing how they achieved them. I found the accounts very interesting as he talked about using the Phantom's energy and tactics he learned at Top Gun (where he and Driscoll were graduates of the first class) to get his kills. He also brings in the personal aspect of being a naval aviator and some of the hard things that go along with it.

We all know he later stepped on his d!ck and is now in prison, but this guy was definitely a great fighter pilot. Check it out.

Guest Gonads

11 Days of Christmas is a great read about the Linebacker II missions that ended Vietnam. Great read from an author who talked to both the aircraft crews AND the SAM operators. Great to see that officially God Awful SAC mess that got turned around by the crews themselves written up so very well. Great read for anyone who gets shot at!

• 1 month later...
Guest jojo61397

My Favorites:

"1776"-- awesome book on the historical implications of the revolutionary war, really shows what a leader Washington was

"Into the Mouth of A Cat"-- Really good book on Sijon-- mentioned earlier in the thread

"We Were Soldiers Once and Young"-- My uncle flew Helos with the author in the 1st Cav in Nam

"Bury my Heart At Wounded Knee"-- I'm NA, and I like looking back at history a little bit

"Where God Was Born"-- very spiritual look at the religion aspect of the middle east

"Art of War"-- A classic

Fiction:

"Children of Men"-- just a really good heartpounding book

"The Road"-- I know Oprah recommended it, but it's good

Guest jojo61397
I can't believe no one has recommended "Fate is the Hunter" by Ernest K. Gann. You all should be ashamed of yourselves.

I am! I don't have time to read the book-- I'm in the middle of Harry Potter and the Shopaholic Series right now.

Guest Dwight Schrute

Already talked aboutin previous threads, I am sure, but no doubt worth another mention-"Black Hawk Down". Ten billion times better than the movie and discusses the politics behind the failure. For the enginerds-"Skunk Works" is the fascinating story of the SR-71, U-2 and the beginning of stealth technology. "The Iraq Study Group" is a very interesting book. It will both give you hope and infuriate you. "Go Dog Go" is another great one, but very difficult for the average crew member.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest illini52

I'm not sure if this book was posted yet, but Flying Through Midnight by John Halliday is a good one. It's about an AF pilot flying C-123s for Air America. Not only does it talk about his experiences but also all about shoe clerks, bad leadership, rules etc. It was somewhat of a relief to see that the same ridiculousness was occurring in the 60s and 70s too.

Just finished Chickenhawk. Good book mentioned here a lot.

edit: Looks like this book was posted already. Good book either way.

Edited by illini52

Just finished "American Patriot." Great read, IMO. Written by the same guy that wrote the Col. John Boyd biography. "Bury Us Upside Down" is another of my faves that I just recently finished.

Just finished it too. Outstanding book! It's definitely an eye opener w/ regards to Clinton, Kerry and the mainstream media. It will definitely piss you off.