Good military/aviation books

M2

Guest sleepy

I'll report soon as to whether or not Hydro is off his rocker.

Pollack and Friedman's From Beirut..., along with Walker Percy's Love in the Ruins, are on the way. The next round from Amazon might include Longitudes and Attitudes, but for now I thought that sounded too much like a Buffet tune.

Percy has nothing to do with anything military or aviation, but I like his words, both fiction and non-fiction. One smart dead mofo, yo.

EDIT: style and flair

[ 07. June 2006, 14:31: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest Aflyer

Shack on "Flyboys" and "Once an Eagle".

"One Bullet Away" by Nathaniel Fick is a good one about a Marine LT on the ground in Afghanistan and Iraq. It made me appreciate what the grunts go through on any given day (having not been there myself).

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

It's not really an aviation book but there are tons of military references and a couple of flying ones. I just finished "Transfer of Power" by Vince Flynn in about 2 days. The book was full of action and I couldn't put it down. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.

Flynn also writes a few others with the same main character. They all deal with the same theme of islamic terrorists and some sort of crisis. Transfer of Power had a lot about Seals, Delta, FBI, and a couple AFSOC references too. These are next on my Vince Flynn list:

Term Limits

The Third Option

Separation of Power

Executive Power

Memorial Day

Consent to Kill

Also, "Boyd: The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of Warfare" is a great read.

Guest picaresquepilot

The Wild Blue - Ambrose

Fate is the Hunter - Gann

and the FAR/AIM, I just can't get enough of that book.

I'm a big Boyd fan, so I second whitman on "The Fighter Pilot Who Changed the Art of War"

Also:

"First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum

RAF Spit pilot in WW2 -- awsome read

"Fighter Boys" by Patrick Bishop

Good overall coverage about the effect that the RAF (and Eagle squadrons) had on the Battle of Britain

Any of Tom "Bear" Wilson's trilogy starting with

"Termite Hill", "Tango Uniform" and "Lucky's Bridge". Same with any of Mark Berent's novels. Both sets are historical novels set during Vietnam. Wilson's deal with the Thud and start of the Wild Weasel mission and Berent's deal mostly with Phantoms and some F-100 action.

Jonesy

• 1 month later...

Haven't seen it mentioned on here, but for a British WWII perspective, check out 'First Light' by Geoffrey Wellum -- goes through his experiences in pilot training at the very start of WWII, then the Battle of Britain and finally flying from Ta'Qali during the Siege of Malta...

http://www.amazon.com/First-Light-Geoffrey...ie=UTF8&s=books

FNG post to break the cherry. This seemed an innocuous way to do so:

Concur on "Once an Eagle." My all time favorite read.

Recent reads:

"Roberts Ridge," mentioned previously, very well done.

"Vulcan 607," RAF long-range bombing of Stanley Airport during Falklands War in 1982.

If your looking for the Vietnam flying book with a twist try Flying Through Midnight by John Halliday. It is a well written book about flying C-123s over Laos out of Thailand. I randomly picked it up recently and finished in one sitting.

ghost

[edit for spelling]

[ 25. January 2007, 07:34: Message edited by: ghost ]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Warthog: Flying the A-10 in the Gulf War was written by William Smallwood, the same guy who wrote Strike Eagle and is also pretty good.

"2"

I've been reading it for less than 2 days and I'm almost finished. I never knew how much the RFOA-10G could do in combat! Incredible.

Seems like the author did a good job interviewing real pilots and making it very realistic but can any of the hog drivers vouch for this book? Anyway, it's a great read!

• 2 months later...

War for the hell of it.

Any one ever read this book? Its by Ed Cobleigh. He flew F4's in Vietnam. I'm about half way through it and can't put it down. Great reading. Tells a load of awesome stories about his experience and what it was like being a fighter pilot in Vietnam. Pretty informative.

Anyone on their way to flying, or thats already flying, its worth the read. :thumbsup:

Edited by yerfer

Read This

Keep in mind it was written in 1989.

I stumbled across that paper about two weeks ago when I finished reading Coram's biography on Boyd. Man talk about Prescience! Now they've got a paper up about 5th generation warfare, but I haven't had time to read that one.

I've got a list I put together a few months ago of all the recommended books on this thread. When I ever regain access to my computer, I'll post it so people can have it handy. I'll add Sun Tzu and Clausewitz to the list.