Getting a Glider Pilots License?

I (along with everyone else) hope to join the AF and become a fighter pilot within the next couple years and was wondering if it is worth getting a glider pilot's license or a PPL. A few family members keep encouraging me to go for the glider because it has the "fighter feel" (granted, I don't think any of them know what the "fighter feel" is). The other side of the coin is that a PPL would give me a much more traditional flying experience. I have 0 flight hours but I did take an aerobatic glider flight which I really enjoyed. Thank you for the help.

Bro, this has been covered ad nauseum.

Search the forums more. Some say having a PPL helps, others say it doesn't mean shit. Good luck

I am not sure if they let you log hours in a glider the same way as you would a 172. I wondered this myself. IMO, It is much cheaper and fun to fly ultralights or gliders than getting hours in a normal aircraft. I do not have any interest in getting my PPL but I want to be a pilot for the Air Force. If I could get hours to boost my PCSM from a ultralight or glider, it would be much more fun but I probably would be learning as much about aviation as if I just went the normal route and got my PPL.

I only have 6 hours now but they were all in a CAP-10C aerobatics trainer. It was fun as hell. I have a few hours in gliders also and it is really fun. I did these for recreational purposes not to help my chances and becoming a pilot.

I only have 6 hours now but they were all in a CAP-10C aerobatics trainer.

...How? I mean, do you know someone with that type of aircraft? I'm sure most GA hubs don't rent those, lol.

Edited by Grind

I started flying gliders when I was 14. Soloed a glider before I could drive a car solo. Some of my best aviation memories where in gliders. In my opinion, there is no purer form of flying.

Did it help me? I think so. I was a soaring instructor at the Academy. By the time I got to pilot training, I was more comfortable in the air than most places.

Do it for the fun aspect. Almost nothing transfers from thermalling for hours in a glider to BFM or strafing in a fighter.

...How? I mean, do you know someone with that type of aircraft? I'm sure most GA hubs don't rent those, lol.

I just paid for it. It was real reasonable too. $175 an hour. The guy is a real awesome guy that always does airshows and stuff. I think he just likes to give lessons to anyone because he likes to fly as much as he can.

Guest CAVEMAN

I just paid for it. It was real reasonable too. $175 an hour. The guy is a real awesome guy that always does airshows and stuff. I think he just likes to give lessons to anyone because he likes to fly as much as he can.

$175? How much is a C150 these day?

I and was wondering if it is worth getting a glider pilot's license or a PPL.

Everyone has their own opinions about this subject, so read them and take them for what they are worth. One aspect not discussed too often is where it might help or not.

1) OTS selection: Will a PPL help? Probably a little, but not to the exclusion of the rest of your package. If it didn't matter they wouldn't put a block on the Fm 56 application for you to list it. Will it guarantee you a slot? Absolutely not, but every little bit of help on your application adds a little support...maybe an extra half point or point for a PPL? In a tough scoring environment I'd like the extra on my side. For reference, the 10-03 rated board pilot selectees were split 50-50 between selects with a PPL and those without. Clearly, a PPL was not madatory. But that same statistic did not compare those with no hours, those with some hours, and those with PPL, so its hard to guage the "in between".

2) After selection: When you get to IFS any previous flying experience will help you feel more comfortable. But, it won't guarantee success, only allow you to focus more effort on the procedures and less on pitch/power/airspeed basics. C-172, B-747, glider...whatever. Experience always helps.

3) UPT: Most people I talk to say a PPL or fair amount of flying time helps for the first couple of T-6 rides. Again, it's the comfort and confidence factor. After a couple of rides, however, everyone has caught up and is at about the same level.

So, its not cheap...how much are you willing to spend for a little assistance in the beginning? If you're a strong student and a hard worker, probably not a critical factor. If you're barely able to hack it from day one, it could be the difference. If OTS selection is the concern, the PPL is where the official measuring point is drawn on the form. If IFS is the issue, five or ten hours may be enough to make the difference, and you can do that after you know you're selected so you don't waste money. No book answer...only you can make that call.

HIFlyer, that was exactly what I was looking for and now that I look back on my post, I don't think I really specified that. I am definitely looking for the boost on my OTS application since a lot of it is just looking at test scores, GPA, leadership, etc. Once (and if) I get into OTS I feel like I could prove myself as an excellent student/officer. I'm just concerned with that first "hurdle". Thanks for the answers guys, I appreciate it.