1st female Air Force combat vet in run for congress

F-15E WSO

• 2 weeks later...

Vote for a third party? Waste of a vote, vote for a Dem? And....no. Immolation it is.

My thinking is that if Barber stays in, nothing really changes for us and she won't run again in two years. If the RNC is behind her, and she gets in, she'll just be a RINO and we will have a hard time getting rid of her. The House will be safe until the next election.

I did send her an email asking if she would be willing to sponsor a bill to allow the A-10 program to be shifted to the Army. My frontline Army friends really love that platform. My SF friends would like the OV-10 back, too. She hasn't responded.

LS

Edited by Len Satic

My thinking is that if Barber stays in, nothing really changes for us and she won't run again in two years. If the DNC is behind her, and she gets in, she'll just be a RINO and we will have a hard time getting rid of her. The House will be safe until the next election.

I did send her an email asking if she would be willing to sponsor a bill to allow the A-10 program to be shifted to the Army. My frontline Army friends really love that platform. My SF friends would like the OV-10 back, too. She hasn't responded.

LS

I think Big Blue has made it perfectly clear they would rather send brand new planes to the boneyard then let the ARMY fly more fixed wings (c27 comes to mind)

I did send her an email asking if she would be willing to sponsor a bill to allow the A-10 program to be shifted to the Army. My frontline Army friends really love that platform.

LS

It would be a waste of a theater-level asset because it would be allocated to a ground commander who would put a 5km tether on it so no one else could steal it from him.

• Upvote 1

I think Big Blue has made it perfectly clear they would rather send brand new planes to the boneyard then let the ARMY fly more fixed wings (c27 comes to mind)

Oh, I'm under no illusions here. I just wanted to see if she would answer and, if so, what she would say. ;) Nothing yet. Shocking, no?

LS

Well, you got my joke. I am stuck voting for her.

I know AZ airports. I got my Private at Ryan Field and my Commercial at the now defunct Freeway Airport back in the early '70s.

I'm not voting for her but my wife is undecided.

BTW, the former Marana Airpark (now Pinal) resembled KXTA back in those days. ;)

LS

Edited by Len Satic

I'm not voting for her but my wife is undecided.

Are you not voting for her because you don't like her/don't want to see her as your Congresswoman, or is it because you don't like her stance on various issues and how she will most likely vote in the House?

There are (usually) more than two people to choose from in national elections, and that being said, a person doesn't need to always vote for the 'D' or 'R' candidate 'just because'. Since you told us who you will not be voting for, mind sharing who you will be voting for and why?

I've heard of the Freeway airport but have no idea where it is?

It was at Prince just east of I-10. You can still see the runway on Google Earth. Here's a link to the history: http://www.airfields-freeman.com/AZ/Airfields_AZ_Tuscon_N.htm There was a Downtown Airport, too, just south of the civic center area (where the Costco is at I-10) but it was abandoned before I moved to Tucson or shortly thereafter.

Night landings at Freeway were interesting to say the least. It usually only had one row of lights working at a time so you had to remember which row it was. The westside tie-downs were right along the west side of the runway a few feet from the lights. Basically, you'd turn final over the K-Mart and fly toward the Circle K (KK approach) on Prince and land in the dark spot. Even more fun in Monsoon season. :)

LS

Edited by Len Satic

Are you not voting for her because you don't like her/don't want to see her as your Congresswoman, or is it because you don't like her stance on various issues and how she will most likely vote in the House?

There are (usually) more than two people to choose from in national elections, and that being said, a person doesn't need to always vote for the 'D' or 'R' candidate 'just because'. Since you told us who you will not be voting for, mind sharing who you will be voting for and why?

Sorry, HD, I missed this post.

Actually I may be wavering in my decision not to vote for her. This change of heart is actually due to Barber's own campaign literature. His team says that she has Tea Party backing and has attributed to her as making statements and supporting positions that I totally agree with. The problem is that I have not actually read or heard her say these things. (Which may well be do to the fact that we live off-grid and do not have television.) I checked out a couple of TP sites and, while they do support her, they are not clear on why. Also, Tea Party folks in Pima Co. and Tucson are probably not the same as here in Cochise Co.

I'll change my definite "No" to a definite "Maybe" while I continue to do my homework on her. I just don't want to vote for another RINO.

LS

I don't see the choice. Barbers record is pretty easy to look up, I will not vote for him.

http://votesmart.org/candidate/political-courage-test/137292/ron-barber/#.VCcqD0urv8s

I've seen that, but check MM's VoteSmart results. The only kinda-sorta positives are inferred. That's my problem. Except for support for DM and the A-10 program, I don't know where she is hanging her Service Cap. It's very frustrating. She's only in the race because the RNC "recruited" her according to Politico. In two years we may be able to get someone like Frank Antenori. If she gets in, she will be there forever. And she may be wonderful, I can't forecast the future, but she has not proven that she is a woman of her word. What is her means of employment if she loses? Hell, what is it now?

As I said, CD2 has been gerrymandered with a tilt toward Tucson, so Cochise Co. doesn't really matter. I lived through this for 35 years in Los Angeles and I reckon I'll survive it here. But Arizona is a bit different. ;)

LS

Sorry, HD, I missed this post.

Actually I may be wavering in my decision not to vote for her. This change of heart is actually due to Barber's own campaign literature. His team says that she has Tea Party backing and has attributed to her as making statements and supporting positions that I totally agree with. The problem is that I have not actually read or heard her say these things. (Which may well be do to the fact that we live off-grid and do not have television.) I checked out a couple of TP sites and, while they do support her, they are not clear on why. Also, Tea Party folks in Pima Co. and Tucson are probably not the same as here in Cochise Co.

I'll change my definite "No" to a definite "Maybe" while I continue to do my homework on her. I just don't want to vote for another RINO.

LS

No worries. Do I think she'd be better than Barber--yes (probably would vote to steel less of my money). Do I think there are better people out there to represent that district--I sure hope so.

Fortunately (or unfortunately?), nothing really is riding on this House race, outside of the work they will do specifically for their district...unlike the handful of competitive Senate races which will determine the balance of power/control in the Senate.

Even in swing districts/States, it's typically really hard to beat an incumbent. I'm a big supporter of amending The Constitution to have term limits, but I don't see this happening in my lifetime. I'd say vote your conscience...there should be more people than just her and Barber on the ballot.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, her campaign flyers do not claim that she was the first woman combat squadron leader nor does it say that she led combat missions. It says that she has 300+ combat hours. I don't know what the AF means by combat hours or if it's even a real term. Would someone enlighten me, please.

LS

Well, her campaign flyers do not claim that she was the first woman combat squadron leader nor does it say that she led combat missions. It says that she has 300+ combat hours. I don't know what the AF means by combat hours or if it's even a real term. Would someone enlighten me, please.

LS

She flew her airplane for a duration of 300 hours in a combat zone.

Fairly straight forward.

She flew her airplane for a duration of 300 hours in a combat zone.

Fairly straight forward.

Copy that! That's what I thought, thanks. It doesn't mean that there were actual combat engagements then.

Not so fairly straight forward, though, to a grunt. Figure the combat hours there. ;)

LS

• 4 weeks later...

Well, today is the big day--what happens to the obsessive blinker? A poll I saw from a couple weeks ago had her down by two points, within the margin of error, but still down. Larry Sabato's crystal ball has the race leaning to Barber.

Since there isn't a seperate thread for tonight's midterms, anyone want to make an overall prediction for tonight's outcome for the country?

I agree with you, more or less. But if tonight's results causes more disfunction in DC then I'm all for it. I want government to do less not more. Just my $.02

Except it would be nice to have a budget. And to not be sequestered next FY.

• Upvote 1

Since there isn't a seperate thread for tonight's midterms, anyone want to make an overall prediction for tonight's outcome for the country?

FiveThirtyEight and the New York Times both predict a 75% or better chance that the Republicans take the Senate majority. Best guess is 52 or 53. Edited by deaddebate