1st female Air Force combat vet in run for congress

F-15E WSO

• 2 months later...

I'd say her chances are going to look better just because the race was close in 2012 and Dems are currently poised to lose some seats in a standard midterm election as well as having to defend Obamacare which I believe will only continue to be an overall disaster. Hopefully someone better from the GOP can beat her in a primary, though she does have the correct plumbing and resume the eatablishment is looking for.

THREAD BUMP.

What's the latest on M's campaign? Are her chances looking better this time around? 3rd time's a charm?

First of all....F you. I have no way to recover the time I spent reading this thread, and I blame you for "bumping" it. You should have left it where it where you found it.

Taking off with no gas is a huge mistake. Singularly, I don't think it qualifies anyone as a bad pilot. If an event like that does, we have an Air Force full of shitty pilots based on all sorts of flying buffoonery, from FEs to WGs, I'm aware of in my 10 year career as an 11F.

Holy $hit...this is amazing. There are mistakes, and then there is negligence. Taking off emergency fuel on a training sortie is fairly easy to categorize. I don't personally care if she did this or not, but I do care that one would tell other aviators to shrug it off or that this level of incompetence is common or acceptable.

I can immediately say a number of things about any person that does this:

A) You will never touch one of my aircraft again,

B) I will do everything in my power to ensure you never touch anyone else's aircraft, and

C) I must attempt to remove you from the equation completely, as you will likely fu<k up anything I task you with, regardless of it's simplicity.

Everyone makes mistakes. Taking off without gas on a training sortie is not a mistake at all...it's lack of due regard.

Someone that cares that little over things so important...man, I just wish I would have spent my time some other way than reading this garbage.

Bendy

Edited: 'nuff said

Edited by Bender

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/08/13/gop-touts-top-female-candidates-to-keep-bolster-house-majority/

Washington Republicans are touting two trail-blazing female candidates in their effort to keep control of the House this fall or even add to their majority.

In Arizona, Martha McSally, the first female Air Force pilot to fly in combat, is trying again to take a House seat from Democrats. And in New York, 30-year-old Elise Stefanik would be the youngest female House member if she wins in November.

The Arizona race has attracted particular attention, as McSally is running in a purple district for the seat once held by Democratic Rep. Gabrielle Giffords. McSally is expected to win the party's Aug. 26 primary and once again face Democratic Rep. Ron Barber, the former Giffords staffer who narrowly defeated McSally in 2012.

The GOP has rallied behind McSally -- whose other claim to fame, besides her military record, was filing a 2001 lawsuit against then-Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld over a policy requiring servicewomen in Saudi Arabia to wear a body-covering abaya in public.

“She was standing up for women since Day One in the military,” Oregon Rep. Greg Walden, chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, said during a recent session with Capitol Hill reporters about the 2014 midterms.

Gifford retired from Congress in early 2012 to recover from a near-fatal shooting. And Barber, with strong party support, retained the seat for Democrats, defeating McSally by roughly 2,500 votes just 10 months later. In the 2014 rematch, the candidates’ Tucson-based 2nd District remains moderate in the Republican-leaning state.

And their campaign platforms are unsurprising similar -- stressing job growth, U.S. border security and anti-Washington political rhetoric.

However, Barber appears this time to be on less-sure footing.

McSally, who flew combat missions over Iraq in 1995, is by most accounts running an improved campaign that also focuses on rolling back ObamaCare.

And she has avoided her first-time mistakes, like when she compared herself in 2012 to Giffords.

McSally has also out-raised Barber in four consecutive quarters, including raising roughly $100,000 more in the quarter that ended June 30. And she could benefit from historical midterm trends -- low turnout and not being in the sitting president’s political party.

The combination of factors has landed Barber on practically every list of “most vulnerable” 2014 House incumbents, even topping Roll Call newspaper’s compilation this month.

Yet he maintains a slight advantage in cash on hand, crucial for TV ad spending in the closing months of the campaign, and remains strong in the polls. The nonpartisan Rothenberg Political Report still rates the race a tossup.

“Our focus has always been families right here in southern Arizona -- What do they need? What will improve their lives? How can we improve our local economy?” Barber told Fox News on Tuesday. “I speak up for what I think is right. And sometimes [President Obama] or other Democrats don't agree. But that's OK.”

The McSally campaign did not return requests for comment for this story.

Sabato's Crystal Ball has her race as a 'toss up'--given the climate of the current state of politics/midterm election, I would be willing to bet she beats Barber this time around. She'll probably a GOP-establishment type politician, like another McCain or Lyndsey Graham. Oh well, I don't live/vote in the district.

I think a real question here is what is her stance on F-35? If she falls in line with the AZ delegation, then they want F-35 ASAP for Luke. But if she decides she cares more about Tucson (and her combat roots) then she may try to kill F-35 and denigrate it at every opportunity.

I used to think she was blinking in morse code or something, but alas she just has an overall horrible tv image. Her team has softened it up some by going away from the slick rick, soul-glo curls of the previous election. However, her epileptic blink rate almost looks like she is an RCH away from an aneurysm.

• 2 weeks later...

With 69 percent of the vote no less..

With 99 percent of the precincts reporting, the 48-year-old McSally had 69 percent of the vote, compared to 24 percent for retired Air Force Sgt. Chuck Wooten and 7 percent for businesswoman Shelley Kais.

She'll probably a GOP-establishment type politician, like another McCain or Lyndsey Graham.

That's my guess, too. I voted for Wooten but I never heard him bring up her questionable past. He may have, but not so loudly that I heard it.

LS

Probably didn't know. I didn't know about it until I got on here.

Well, as Rainman A-10 pointed out in post #156, it made it to the local media in 2012 when TomChuck Norris went on the radio to expose her. It would have been easy to research. Kind of leaves me in a bit of a pickle come November.

LS

Edited by Len Satic

Thanks for that, Beaver! TomChuck did his job, but Wooten didn't. Plus, the radio station is an FM station and doesn't reach Cochise County. Cochise is very conservative, despite Bisbee being the County Seat, but the gerrymandering chiseled out a portion of Tucson to counter us. In federal elections, we're screwed.

LS

Edited by Len Satic